Cis/trans?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:57 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

From what I've learned, cis fats are not as rigid as trans fats. But perhaps that's a misconception.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 am

Anyways. i am apparantly Too tired when writing Here. The trans weave is rigid and curling. The cis is flat and loose.

When it comes to CIRSS.

When applying the terms to CIRS, trans is loose and flat, cis is tight and curly.

Submissions: 568

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:46 am

Loose vs. rigid is AR-based.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Not only. The CIRSS (trans) is objectivly tigger than the cis version st the same AR. I used it as comparative, relative, terms.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 am

i know exactly what you did there with your ring thingymawhatsits there karpeth. i could tell exactly what was going on from the picture, i as many could assume the added dimension pressing on the side of the inverted round would tighten things further. your text continues to confuse me.

Posted on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Djgm, I'm sorry, you confuse me. What's confusing?

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:18 am

hmm where to start..

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't see it as a new weave. However, I'd put it under a possible modification of the SCIRS weave.

Also with the Cis-Trans terminology, they generally mean "near" and "far"... you know from the latin roots "on this side" and "on the other side". No need for any confusing chemistry... but I'm familiar with the terms from QTLs in genetic mapping.

djgm:
I'll give it a shot of explaining.
Karpeth is naming is naming the SCIRS a trans-CIRS because the connecting lines of the sheet are far apart. Each line is connected at the 180 deg mark from another line (forming a flat sheet).
The cis-CIRS is closer together, at the 120 deg mark (forming a hexagon if they're all on the same side).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
djgm:
I'll give it a shot of explaining.
Karpeth is naming is naming the SCIRS a trans-CIRS because the connecting lines of the sheet are far apart. Each line is connected at the 180 deg mark from another line (forming a flat sheet).
The cis-CIRS is closer together, at the 120 deg mark (forming a hexagon if they're all on the same side).

THANK YOU! I also have a hard time understanding Karpeth's explanations, but this makes perfect sense.

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:44 pm

I feel I should also note that my definition appears slightly different than Karpeth (after rereading the thread). Specifically here:
Karpeth wrote:
Cis means same side, and in a row of CIRSS, all connector rings stay on the same side. The Collumn keps alternating, tho.

Trans means opposite side, and in a row of collumnar CIRSS, the connector rings alternate between insida and outside. The Collumn still keeps alternating, as per IR properties.

It appears he is labeleing a trans-CIRS (where each consecutive pair is further apart) what I would label an alternating direction cis-CIRS.
That being said, the core question in this thread appears to be if the cis-CIRS is considered a different weave.

Edit:
This reminds me that a certain someone owes me a shiny dollar for constructing a weave he coined "riduculomobobulus" (which is a logical extension of European 4 in 1, Gridlock, and Wave Lock). No, it didn't come out pretty.

project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:01 pm

So, we agree cis/trans exist, but we disagree on what it is?

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Karpeth wrote:
So, we agree cis/trans exist, but we disagree on what it is?

Nope, I had briefly read through the thread and misinterpreted what you had presented. I corrected myself in the second post.

project.addRing();

Posted on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 am

i will not be adopting the terminology in the context of maille as i find it convoluted.

Posted on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 am

It is just that your latest Two long post confuse me.

Perhaps I wrote too quickly regarding CIRS, as I've focused My cognitive energy on SCIRS/CIRS.

Furthermore, according to My like of thought, the trans curls to a Collumn, and the trans is a flat sheet. (SCIRS/CIRSS)

The "Core Question" is rather cis-SCIRS/CIRSS.

DJGM: how so? Certain other parts have had long and intricate discussion before they were added to the general knowledge. What part is Convoluted.

Posted on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:38 am

Karpeth wrote:
Perhaps I wrote too quickly regarding CIRS, as I've focused My cognitive energy on SCIRS/CIRS.

Is the change from CIRS to cis-CIRS not the same as SCIRS to cis-SCIRS? I believed that the core question of this thread is that of if shift of the connection by 60 degrees is enough to consider it a new weave.

Karpeth wrote:
Furthermore, according to My like of thought, the trans curls to a Collumn, and the trans is a flat sheet. (SCIRS/CIRSS)

Correct. In my first post in this thread, I suggested that trans-CIRS was CIRS itself. I corrected this misunderstanding in my second post - it curls back and forth to form a flat sheet.

In other news, I'm getting tired of typing the letters CIRS and rereading them to know which one I'm trying to refer to.

project.addRing();

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next