State of the Board of Directors, Forum Rules, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

madd_vyking wrote:
And, to illustrate my total lack of savvy... piecing up this post and quoting it the way I did took me SOOOOOO long to figure out. I'm sure there is an easier way, but it took me an inordinate amount of time to trudge my way through. It seems quoting the entire post is easy... inserting my stuff in between is giving me hives!

When I first stumbled upon MAIL, I didn't even know what a forum was. Somehow, I got it in my head that you had to be a submitter to even access the site. There was so much information, I was very confused. But I didn't give up. Believe me, I understand. It gets easier. Then they come up with something new, like BBCode and you have to figure it out. But then you do. Seriously, you are not alone! Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:54 am

lorraine wrote:
madd_vyking wrote:
Tried going to the weaves page and clicking nothing and clicking search, and the return is "no results".

I KNEW I wasn't crazy! I KNEW IT! Very Happy

The URL speaks of "advanced". I remember, vaguely, ticking that Box.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 am

I love this site! Love it!!! Yes I've had problems navigating become frustrated and been back to learn more.
I am one of those people that doesn't talk enough or participate. Without this site, cg maille (happy you included those wonderful tutorials), Josh D and more I would not be making and selling Chain Maille today. An interest turned into an obsession because of many of you and your efforts. Many thanks.
As far as personality disputes in forum. Could care less. As long as no hate speech or demeaning language. The parties should work it out off line. Do not feel

The more I know about people on board the more knowledgable my vote.

Vow to become more involved because it deserves attention. Let me know how I and people like me who are using and promoting site but not interacting can help.

Pamela

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 am

This thread makes me kinda sad.

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Sooooooo.....

The "state of the state" has... fallen into neglect? Wink

Seems to be a dropped topic(?)

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Well, I feel that the subject is discussed, and for DL to interpret and take action.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 am

i was gone a long time if someone had the crazy idea of trying to get DL to leave.

i know i'm late to the party, but i would still like to see weave adminning being done by a group of people. i would like to see someone in charge of reviewing a submission to make sure the text and photo do not violate decency standards. super simple job, anyone can do it. then a thread opens up automatically (i assume this is doable with code) where the weave can receive peer review. then, qualified people make a collective judgement call. who is qualified? anyone who can describe a weave using some sort of semistandard weave theory.

i get it, weave theory is subjective and nebulous. however, you should be able to identify a persian, european, japanese, spiral and orbital ring interaction. 3 people have real life this month? the remaining people handle the submission discussion. i would like to see this process viewable by the public, so anyone could have access to the weaves being discussed.

also, no ads. no paying anyone. i get it, you're new. but don't ruin this site with ads. we made it ad free for a reason. it is one of the few bastions of advertisement silence on the internet. this one issue would get me to vote no for josh diliberto as a BOD member, unless that position is changed. this is a deal breaking issue for me.

cinnibar is a real person who has been around forever. yes, i -do- remember the madness. i was glad to see the issues here on MAIL have not reached those crazy levels.

agent of insomnia is a unique ring interaction and one of the few finite weaves we have (i'm looking at you, mobius ball© and polyhedral tesselations). if you don't know it, make it. it is a fully spiralled boxchain.

DL, if you guys need weave admin help, i can step in again for awhile if need be. i have the winter available. summers are hard, i don't get many days off. i feel happy that you didn't shovel me in with th weave creators who were also weave admins. i hate to say it, but that's now i got the job originally. i had so many new ideas at the time.. back then there were very few weave creators, so i could pluck low hanging fruit and receive accolades for it.

thanks for holding down the fort, admins. i know i ditched you all for awhile.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 390

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:38 am

thx for chiming in on this. i'm not stuck on the ads or more revenue for mail idea. it was a suggestion and i'm fine if it never happens.

like you, i really want to see more people making decisions in new weave submissions. i would be happy with all of your suggestions regarding this.

i think this site has the best weave library in the world. i would like it to be the best chainmaille site in other ways too. but, it has fallen in my eyes and in many other's eyes. everyday, i hear other chainmaillers say things like, "i will never submit to that site again." it either has to do with the admins treating them poorly or the rules regarding submission. i know you can't make everyone happy and there will always be people with hurt feelings. the biggest problems i see are 1) same old people making all the rules and treating people poorly. 2) no standard for weave acceptance. 3) better weave search process.

all this has been said over and over and over again. nothing changes though. there is no official process to get new people elected to positions (at least not one that the public gets to see). it's the same biased people sitting in and taking on a couple new people here and there that they "like." people that don't make waves and think mostly the way they do.

you see how long this thread has been here and still nothing happened. everything stayed exactly the same. it's a waist of time, but i do feel better each time someone joins the discussion - it gives me hope again. thx for that.

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:56 am

oh, and not that it really matters, but i'm not interested in any position on this site anymore. i do still participate and make submissions. i'm just too busy running my chainmaille business.

i'm not really new here either. i've been on this site for 7 years - contributing. i've been a chainmailler for 21 years. i am the largest submitter to this site. and since i've been a member, 1 out of 4 new accepted weaves are authored by me. i've often contemplated removing all my work from this site. the members keep me going.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:45 pm

it's a strange situation.. or, it was. i'm out of the loop. the the rules we operate by are archaic, making change difficult.. the best changes just happens when lotos makes an upgrade. the people doing the (generally thankless) jobs get hounded by members who are sure that their issue is the most important issue in our history. and, to them, it is. and they are trying to do with this as a hobby because very few people have limitless time and have to deal with real life first.

this is why a "usage panel" similar to the american heritage dictionary makes more sense than a weave czar.

i see what you are saying about the same old people.. it's tough. these are the same people who keep this site in existence.. for years. and years.. i can go away and completely shift careers. change my life path. go out and live life.. and these same old people are keeping this place alive so when i come back full of opinions there is a place to write them.

we do need a way for new people to become involved. the strongest aspect of MAIL is the weave library. the weave library should be our strongest volunteer resource, as well as our strongest information resource.

our charter needs upgrading. our current system doesn't allow for change. it is one thing for change to be challenging. it is another for it to be impossible. this is a pretty big issue that needs addressing. i don't want this site to disappear because it is unable to evolve.

it's true, nothing has changed in the lifespan of this thread. this same conversation was going on when i stopped visiting regularly. things happen slow here. who would change things? lotos? under autocratic authority? in my experience he has tried to do what he can under the authority of the charter, doing his best to make things more transparent and reasonable.

in order for something to change, we need a BOD vote. the same old people need to compose a vote and host it for a couple of weeks. send out some notification emails to the "active" BOD to try to raise vote counts because activity is always low.

i am not sure what change anyone would expect from this thread. it is an announcement by lotos about the way things are right now and a conversation surrounding that. i am willing to work with you on identifying an issue and proposing a vote. that is the next step.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:12 pm

well said. thank you for your voicing this. i find it very reasonable.

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Perhaps beating a dead horse, but the need is still apparent; Narrinna has not been seen for a few Months now, and seeing that the queue is still growing, I wouldn’t want to overexert narrina, when she comes back.

Is There anything that could be Done, or has anyone years from Her?

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7