***Entries for Theme Contest 29 - Steampunk***
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 5

Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:44 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

It took me a long time to think of an idea for this contest but it finally came to me on the 5th of October. I just had to think of what I would want if I lived in a steam punk world. For ten long days and nights I worked and created a working steam punk microscope. It's all based off a copper pail I found at a recycle store.

This page intentionally left blank Wink

Without further ado here is.

From one side.

From the other side.

That's a quick look at it, now I'll explain what all those lovely parts do.

First we have the sun light cover, shown closed. It's purpose is to let light in to illuminate the object being examined.

Here's the sun light port open. The cover is made from a thick square piece of copper sheet that I domed out then textured, it's held in place by a copper rivet with a washer between the port and the cover.

The adjustment port lets you poke at your object while examining it.
With the cover on.

Port open, a little sneak peak at the internals.

The "ambient weird collector" or fish eye lens on the side lets you see the chain and lens carriage as they pass by.

Looking through the fish eye lens.

Rather unexciting but here's the base. I had further plans for it but ran out of time. It's a brass pie plate? I attached the locking pin to eventually serve as a hinge I didn't make it that far.

The legs for the base are candle holders flipped over, the rod they connected to was cut into three pieces then riveted and soldered to the pie plate. The legs have 16 closed copper rings to cover the threaded shafts.

The eye piece is made from a bent piece of copper soldered to half a brass door knob with a single spiral wound soldered copper ring that fits around the actual eye piece which is a candle stick holder flipped over and drilled out, which is attached to a threaded rod.

The top section consists of a steel dome from an insanely old vacuum cleaner, a copper piece made from a 1" copper pipe cut in half, flattened, annealed then scribed the pattern on to it. The brass pipes serve as guides for the chain, they are soldered to the copper strip. The two small holes in the dome are to guide the lens carriage via a stainless steel wire. The first hole was a bit off.

The end of that copper strip goes down and ends in a brass cap which fits into the locking arm on the base. The two small copper pipes sticking out the right side of the bucket are the rails for the lens carriage.

The chain and sprocket, made from some old lighting fixtures and a sprocket probably from a motorcycle. The chain is JPL3 made using copper rings WD 0.083 ID 0.246 AR 2.96. The weight of the chain and the friction lets you set and hold a focus. The focus is easy to adjust with only two fingers but it stays in place when you let go. While there certainly isn't much maille in the piece, the part it plays is critical. I tried other weaves (2-4,byz) but only the JPL3 worked properly providing enough friction, weight and fitting the pipes/sprocket properly.

Seen from above.

Now lets get to the lens carriage. The carriage consists of a formed 1/4" copper pipe that creates rails, two metal "beads" that slide along the rails, two 1/2" copper pipe couplers filed to have round voids on the ends, just a bit bigger than the rails, soldered to a small section of 1/2" pipe. That pipe has a vertical hole top and bottom for the guide wire to pass/attach. In the side of the copper couplers I filed small notches so I could solder on the tabs which are soldered to a brass ring, the other side of the copper tabs holds the lens in place. The lens is from an old slide projector.

Here it is seen through the adjustment port.

Here's a shot through the sun port.

Looking up into it you can see a bit more. From the left over we have the top of the rails, the guide wire passing through the end of the rail, just above that you can see the two copper cross members one of them has a small piece of brass pipe soldered to it to act as a chain guide. In the middle we have the threaded rod from the eye piece with a dental mirror attached via two EPMD rings. Getting that thing aligned was a task. To the right you can see the "return chain" being pushed out of the way of the optics via one of the cross members. There is a yellow ferrite bead attached to the chain to both add weight and act as a stop. The cross members are held in by computer thumb screws that thread into brass computer stand-offs which also hold the dome to the pail.

Here are three shots of the lens carriage at different heights. The carriage is off level in the images, I forgot to adjust the guide wire before taking the pictures.

But does it actually magnify an object??? Lets take a look at this extra gear I didn't have time to glue on, nice and centred via the adjustment port.

Eureka, it works. It looks better in person but try as I might I couldn't get my phone to take a better picture than this. The magnification is probably only around 4x-5x and the lighting is well bad but in the end I have a working steam punk microscope.

I wouldn't call it steam punk maille but rather steam punk that uses maille.

I hope you all enjoy it, I sure had fun building it, if you have any questions ask away.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 22

Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:46 am

Awesome !

Submissions: 36

Let's hope I can finish!!!
Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Quite a bit of time put in already to my entry, but quite a few hours in front of me to finish, and not 100% sure that will happen... but I'll be posting something at least in the 11th hour, one way or another. What's the official cut-off? Midnight, local time? or Pacific? Or even midnight GMT? which would give me less than 8 hours... Sad

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Levi wrote:
It took me a long time to think of an idea for this contest but it finally came to me on the 5th of October. I just had to think of what I would want if I lived in a steam punk world. For ten long days and nights I worked and created a working steam punk microscope. It's all based off a copper pail I found at a recycle store.

Without further ado here is.

From one side.

I hope you all enjoy it, I sure had fun building it, if you have any questions ask away.

Ok if that doesn't win (which it probably will) it needs to be posted here.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

Bask! Bask in the glory that you so richly deserve!

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Ok running out of time! So what does your average steampunk wear to a diplomatic function eh? You know the kind of thing that they serve Ferrero Rocher?

Well look no further than a chainmaille sach!

Designed to go over the right shoulder (Like a proper military sash.

Comes with it's own hereditary.

Built using 6mm square cross section and garden chain.

Last minute yay!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 pm

I've made a few minor additions after finding extra parts while cleaning up my tables.

I added a large copper ring to each side of the pail. The single locking pin didn't prevent it from twisting to the sides, with the addition of the second locking pin it no longer twists off the base. The locking pin is attached to the pail ring via a copper HP3 chain, so you don't loose it. The pin can also be stored in the rail ends when not locking things down. Old Mechano gear and a light switch knob.

I also added a brass cap secured with a copper bolt and a brass nut. I didn't solder it in, it's being reserved for future use.

The cap for the adjustment port seemed like it could be lost as well unless it was chained down, so I did using a 2-4 chain from the edge of the cap to the other pail ring. The rings make the cap fit nice and snug, it was a bit loose previously.

Here's a full view after the additions.

Thanks for the kind words ClymAngus, once I've slept a bit I plan on documenting the parts/build list for it, following that I'll post a link over at brass goggles. That sash is pretty trick, I really like the look of the cross section rings.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:01 am

Twelve entries so far! I will stay up until 11:00pm EST tonight and start the voting thread then. Thank you ALL for your entries. They are all beautiful!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:31 am || Last edited by madd_vyking on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Just finished! ...gives me and hour and a half to get a pic or two and post...hopefully I don't bone out on the technology arrrrghhhh... <rush>

EDIT: Lorraine, it is 9:30 central time, I have uploaded the photos of my entry, but am now adding some text... hope i'm sliding in...

Steampunk Night Vision Goggles
Posted on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:29 am

Here is my 11th hour entry, sliding in just a half hour before the deadline...

Ridonkulous! Very Happy Give me 12 weeks to get something done, you can be sure I'll wait until the last week to get started...

I had lined up a "model" (my steampunky lookin' kid -- he's rockin' some killer mutton chops lately!) and gathered a few props as well, with the hopes of an awesome photo shoot, but, I ran behind on production, so all I've got for now are these static photos for my entry... still plan on the shoot, will just have to share at another time...

As soon as the theme was proposed, I knew exactly where I'd go with this --for whatever reason, it seems to me, nothing is more iconic to the theme (other than gears Wink ) than goggles and a top hat. Most of the design was worked out in my head before the theme was even voted on. These goggles are probably around 90% maille, in several different weaves, metals and maybe 9-10 ring IDs in 4 different gauges... All rings (and scales) are saw cut from TRL, everything else was scrounged from spare parts laying around my work shops. There are at least 6-ish ounces of rings involved, must weigh over half a pound total --too heavy for my jewelry scale... Seriously substantial. Cool

The eye cups are made from Dragonscale in 18swg 1/4" red jewelers brass and 19swg 5/32" bronze (I ran shy about 2 dozen of the bronze and had to sub jewelers brass -- maybe you won't notice Wink . There's a ridge running down the side made by graduating the DS up to 18swg 5/16" and 7/32" red jewelers brass for a single row, gives a neat bit of "architectural" detail, I think. At the corner of the eye, where the cups connect to the strap, it flares out as well by graduating into 18swg 5/16" and 3/8". They are capped off behind the lens housings with 18swg 1/4" square wire copper (and a single brass 18swg 5/16" ring along the ridge) woven in a little weird to give a flat base for the lenses to mount on.

The lens frames are just some old 1 1/2" solid cast brass sink drain couplers:

The right eye is an adaptation of Stan & Jen's (of Steampunk Garage) turbine pendant idea, this is made on a 10swg 1 1/2" steel ring, cut down and reshaped to ~1 1/4" ID. I used 18swg 3/16", 9/32", and 5/16" stainless steel rings to connect the small brass and bronze finish aluminum scales to create the "aperture". I made the entire aperture contraption a little too large for the housing, forcing it to open a bit more than intended -- if I were to do it all again I'd have made it maybe just a 1/8" or so smaller... Used 18swg 3/16" rubber rings and 20swg 1/8", 5/32", and 3/16" square wire bronze rings in Japanese maille style connections to clamp the lens to the eye cup. I pirated some LED flashlight parts and a red filter lens to insert in there for an infrared vision sensor / steampunk terminator (SP T-3000?) sort of look, but opted to leave them out for the contest photos -- I really just ran out of time to finish that up satisfactorily. Sad Will post photos with that later, (it is pretty durned nifty-keen if I do say...)

The left eye is made from a scavenged flashlight lens, ground down to fit, and covered with mirrored auto window tint, though I'm not sure if you can see it from the pics. Attached in very similar fashion as the right eye, using rubber and square wire copper rings. There is one large steel ring in front of the lens to clamp the lens to the eye cup, another behind the lens acting like a snap ring to retain it.

The nose/bridge portion was initially conceived a little more ornately-- In true Victorian style... if there's space to be adorned, then it of course should be! I still intend to finish this portion in a couple days (need a break!) What I used there, is made from red and yellow jewelers brass, 18swg 1/8", 9/64", and 5/32", also some 19swg 5/32" red jewelers brass, as I recall, and 18swg 3/16" rubber o-rings for some flex. The piece I haven't attached yet will fit over this, so is purely ornamental, but will likely be another bit of graduated Dragonscale along with a possible surprise or two. Wink

Straps are made from Ooops! / European 4-1 unbalanced, from 18swg 5/32" red jewelers brass and an inlay of blackened steel. Graduated at the point of connection from 18swg 5/32" up to 3/16", then to 16swg 7/32". Connected in back with a short section including some rubber o-rings for stretch and a little adjustability. Think I will add a strip of black leather woven through the edge rings for a bit more panache...

I uncharacteristically did not tumble or polish any portion of the project, wanted them to have a somewhat broken-in look to them, I will probably speed along the patina process for effect as well. May add an embellishment or two as well, hopefully I'll know when to stop. Smile

I will be putting together a little photo album and "how I did it" blog, along with some better pics once I can take them, including pics with a model or two and of course the glowing red SP T-3000 eye(!) in the near future, I'll be sure to post a "link", for any that might be interested.

This project was an absolute blast to make! I really appreciate these contests for the opportunity to push my creativity a bit, on pieces I might otherwise not make the time for.

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5