Riveted chainmaille
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Submissions: 0

hello
Posted on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Great to be a part of this forum,,I am a Maille-designer, Love to play with rings, Created some unique maille dresses, love to experiment with weaving techniques. Planning to start working on riveted chainmail, Would look for information here.

ArmourMan

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:26 pm

there are some riveters about, you should have luck with your query. scan through the forum real quick, the subject has most definitly been discussed in detail. There are also a few articles you could find with the search feature if im not mistaken.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:10 am

Welcome and well come.

Now how is it that you missed defining your idea(s) of what really constitutes "better?"

Butted links take one fourth the time to weave that riveted does, and less is invested in tools to make it. No call to devise a riveting method -- which generally means making setting-pliers with long handles. Riveted links actually make high performance mail that's real armor that will stop a knife or an insufficient stroke of the edge of a sword. The typical wire thickness of a butted link is often .080" and that of a riveted link is finer wire, generally .048". 14ga and 18ga respectively. Substantially lighter, usually to about 5/8 the weight of the common sort of butted shirt used by people who go around hitting butted mail with big sticks, for fifteen times the strength of the butted. All-up weight can be further jiggered with by using even lighter wire, along with particularly thin spacer rings for demi-clouée mail, half of solid premade links and half of riveted links coiled, processed, and deployed by yourself. Spends money, saves greatly on labor time as you only have to rivet half of the links, as the name says: it's half-nailed.

At a fancier level of equipping, you can accomplish this by welding the links shut too. For that you need to be set up to work with red hot metal. No kitchen-table stuff there.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:42 am

I was assuming "better"as a generalized absolute. Whatever is decided by the outcome of this thread will provide the vague standard from which all future maille projects are devised. any variation from the normality defined in no uncertainty shall be regarded doubtfully stating "I can't believe it's not better"

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes, I have to admit "better" is a tricky one. A good riveted shirt (materials permitting) is usually tougher than butted. That said butted gives you a more even edge and prevents locking in designs that rely on certain tighter I.R.'s

Best of both worlds would be welded (or brazed, maybe even soldered) but who has time for that kind of melarky?

Posted on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:36 am

really you should try it all and decide what you like. or don't decide and make maille In every any way you can. It's all about experiments and experiences.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:26 am

See also Armourman's other thread: http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19059

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1