Faulty ring sizes in library
Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Orbital Fake Diamond 2:6
Orbital Fullerene 2:6
Orbital Pentagon 2:6
Orbital Cube 2:6

All say they use 1mm wire.

I know Snitters supplier, and the wire is 1.3mm.

I know he hasn't been seen for years, but the library should not be incorrect.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 pm

If I may respectfully ask. How do you know they didn't get different wire and it should be changed?

If I may recommend: Make a project out of the wire that you suggest to see if it really works at that size and submit it to the gallery with a note about the needed change to the weave submission. Unless they respond here to say that it is incorrect you doing a project in the "correct" wire size would help get it changed easier.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm

MusicMan wrote:
If I may respectfully ask. How do you know they didn't get different wire and it should be changed?

If I may recommend: Make a project out of the wire that you suggest to see if it really works at that size and submit it to the gallery with a note about the needed change to the weave submission. Unless they respond here to say that it is incorrect you doing a project in the "correct" wire size would help get it changed easier.

The answer to your question: He uses the same rings as I use as my main rings. We have two suppliers in sweden; one close to where we both live, and one mail order company.

There's been some misunderstandings during the years, and AR is not taught among swedish maillers, which has led to the misconception that the rings we use are 1mm.

The factual size is 1.3mm, which is the same for all their rings; 6, 8, 11 ID in brass and springsteel, 8 in stainless.

The mail order company uses rings with 1.1mm. Again, misunderstandings has led these to be accepted as "1mm", and they supply springsteel in 6 & 8mm ID.

I recognize the rings as they both are identical to his later weaves where he correctly supplied the info 1.3mm, and are identical to mine.

My photo skills are sub-par right now, as my DSLR is in a box, and I use my iphone for submissions right now. Even if they are of acceptable quality, they are worse than the original.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Thank you for the clarification and information Karpeth. I will send the weave administrator a PM linking this discussion and see what they think about the needed changes.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Some crude work in MSPaint suggests that the AR of the rings used in the 'orbital pentagon' is a bit under 5.

That puts it in the general vicinity of a 1.3mm WD, 6mm ID ring, but is in no way conclusive of that.

I'd comfortably conclude that it is NOT a 1mmWD*8mmID ring.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16068

It may be of interest to link to this thread in that thread.
Stickied thread for changing incorrect weave data.
From personal experience, it's normally an uphill battle.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks, both of you.

I have crosslinked to the other topic.

The wire size is 1.3, and it definitly looks like it's 6mm and not 8.

Perhaps it's OD specified, which would make it the 6/1.3 rings.

There's an old swedish misconception which made OD popular in some groups instead of ID.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1