Taniyama Tutorial/Unit construction
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 30

Taniyama Tutorial/Unit construction
Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Nárrína mentioned that she would eventually want to build one of my weave submissions that's been hanging around in the queue for a while to ensure stability... so I thought I'd put together a few pictures to help her along.

This is Taniyama (Japanese Google translated "Mountain - Valley"), a chain I've been playing with for a while. It happened one day a few years back when I started playing with some 18g 1/8 rings left over from one of my J4in1 cubing frenzies.

Imgur gallery detailing unit construction and some alternate views : http://imgur.com/a/guX5X

[/img]

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:15 am

Hehe, I think I see the construction before even looking at the link:
J4:1, then pin up pairs of vertical rings in a pattern (and link together the small rings pinning them together).

Without making it, it looks like the stability would be highly influenced by the size of the small "pinning" rings (I'd estimate around an AR of 2.3, if you were to use one WD).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:41 am

On one WD, you'd want to stick closer to 2.7-3.0 on the smaller rings. (16g 3/16 with a tiny bit of springback is 2.9ish).

Bonus is the obvious sheet version of this isn't so obvious. The sucker spirals at each unit into a checkerboard of mountains and valleys. I need to do a few decent sized sheets with different ring sizes to find the sweet spot for it, though... 16g 1/4 + 18g 1/8 was just a little too inflexible to be viable.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Very neat chain, I'm quite curious to know what the sheeted version looks and behaves like. I keep thinking it would make for a set of tracks for a small RC tank or robot.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like you could also build it another way. Using the rings in your Imgur pictures. Build a 1-1 chain out of the bronze and small pinning rings to desired length, Take a pinning ring add two blue rings and pin to the small ring on the 1-1 chain, last add the silver edging rings.

Not sure if it would be any faster or easier but it looks like an option for a different build method.

I would also expect that your effort in documenting it should help Nárrína along the path of validating it.

Mostly Harmless

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1