Maille Code
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 11

Maille Code
Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It's been 6 years since the Maille Code was updated. Instead of necroing, I was wondering if people agree with me that it needs a revision.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Age is not itself justification for change.
Is there some particular improvement you'd like to see implemented?

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 pm

There's a certain bias in several parts. It is impossible to select a favourite weave.

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Pretty sure just omitting a section like that is fine. The rest should all remain perfectly decipherable.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 pm

I don't see anything missing with the maille code, but I should probably get around to updating the one in my signature... its probably been 3+ years since I've actually went through it. [My N is closer to 150.70 nowadays].

That being said, you add/delete letters if you want (as noted by mine not having Hn).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:54 pm

The problem is standardization; I understand the letter N as out of these...

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:35 pm

What's not to understand?

N = (# of weaves I've woven).(# of weaves I've "mastered")
Since the code is for this website, I would assume the number of weaves you can pick from is... this one.
I don't think it is reasonable to make a method of labeling all 1000! (4.02x10^2567) combinations of weaves or limiting the list to a select few (that some people may not like).

project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
What's not to understand?

N = (# of weaves I've woven).(# of weaves I've "mastered")
Since the code is for this website, I would assume the number of weaves you can pick from is... this one.
I don't think it is reasonable to make a method of labeling all 1000! (4.02x10^2567) combinations of weaves or limiting the list to a select few (that some people may not like).

This is why I is why most of my friends are femaille.

No, seriously, "What's not to understand?" implies that I am stupid for "not understanding". The thing is that in every instance I've found documenting the V2.0 of the maille code expicitly specifies 16 weaves.

The whole problem I have with the maille code is bias towards certain weaves. The Favourite section is heavliy biased towards certain weaves, everything persian is coded under the same tag. Homegrown tag undermines the code system.

I vote in favour of a v3.0 Maille code!

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Karpeth wrote:
The thing is that in every instance I've found documenting the V2.0 of the maille code expicitly specifies 16 weaves.

Except that statement is wrong. One of the discussion threads lists 20 weaves. source. Or what about anon himself in the master thread seeing nothing wrong with an N greater than 16? source.

project.addRing();

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Okay. Let me adjust My number to 20. My Fault.

But please, My perceptions are My perceptions, and not an absolute Truth.

I find your tone against me quite arrogant, as you nitpick on a number when I say the list itself is problematic.

It doesn't mattor if the author disregarded his own definitions, but it's explicitly stated that the N is regulated by the list appended.

Posted on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Karpeth wrote:

Two references that I found suggest 16, one suggests 20, and the discussions (in one of the 16 threads) suggest that 30 is a valid number. The "nitpicking" number is inconsistent for being one number.

My opinion, given that information, is that the term "weave list" refers to the entire weave library. Multiple people in the official thread appear to have come to this same conclusion. I stated this in my first comment in this thread.

Karpeth wrote:
It doesn't mattor if the author disregarded his own definitions, but it's explicitly stated that the N is regulated by the list appended.

Except that it doesn't. It refers to "the Weave List". It then has a "Weave List" below. One could assume it had to be that list, but after seeing other inconsistencies (in the official thread), one would have to infer that the list must be much larger.

project.addRing();

Posted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 am

Obviously, the current wording of the Code has a tendency to produce confusion and/or conflict.

I believe that minor edits to the article (falling well short of a full version update and being fully backwards compatible for any who might fail to take notice) would be sufficient to resolve this issue.

Posted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 am

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Karpeth wrote:

Two references that I found suggest 16, one suggests 20, and the discussions (in one of the 16 threads) suggest that 30 is a valid number. The "nitpicking" number is inconsistent for being one number.

My opinion, given that information, is that the term "weave list" refers to the entire weave library. Multiple people in the official thread appear to have come to this same conclusion. I stated this in my first comment in this thread.

Karpeth wrote:

Except that it doesn't. It refers to "the Weave List". It then has a "Weave List" below. One could assume it had to be that list, but after seeing other inconsistencies (in the official thread), one would have to infer that the list must be much larger.

My opinion, is that a poor choice of words does not take away from how the phrasing is around the "weave list".

With Tedronais input, I would vote for a V2.1.

Suggestions:

Edit wording for Weaves Mastered
    Edit Favourite Weaves part to remove bias

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Im an outsider to this whole thing. Could someone explain briefly what maille code is actually meant to be used for? It seems to me you could just as well write the same information into your user profile, using words. Or am I missing something?

Posted on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 pm

GForce wrote:
Im an outsider to this whole thing. Could someone explain briefly what maille code is actually meant to be used for? It seems to me you could just as well write the same information into your user profile, using words. Or am I missing something?

To compactly place a whole ton of information in a small spot, leaving space for other things in your signature (or not making it so that it is longer than your normal post).

project.addRing();

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next