free tutorials
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 100

free tutorials
Posted on Mon May 25, 2015 5:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm wondering if there are basic weave tutorials on the site we are free to print and distribute to people who lack the abbility or inclination to search online. Obviously I don't intend to charge for the printouts or even markup any rings to make the projects but I do get the odd request for instructables and can't see the point in creating tutorials that already exist.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 pm

from the bottom of (so far as I can tell) every Article on the site:

'Articles, Weaves, Links, and Gallery submissions are the property of the author(s), and any reproduction requires their express written permission.'

Posted on Mon May 25, 2015 10:49 pm

yeah I know that much. but contacting some of the older members would prove impossible anyway, I'm just sort of putting the word out if anyone wants to give permission or if there are by chance any files on here that are preauthorized.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon May 25, 2015 10:59 pm

I think that line is more intended for use in a book, or on another website, and especially so if you want to sell or otherwise make a profit from said tutorial.

Printing one out to give to someone who doesn't know how to use the database is perfectly ok as far as I understand it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 am

You can tell the person about the tutorial or send them the link and they can print a copy for themselves. That won't break copyright. If you are teaching a class and want to give people something to take home with them, you should either provide your own tutorial, or again let them know there is a free tutorial here (or elsewhere). Anyone who can access the internet can use the tutorials and anyone who also has access to a printer can make a copy for themselves.

I personally don't have any problem with people using my tutorials. I just want the person using the tutorial to know that it came from MAIL.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 am

Ya I was thinking of printing tutorials for antiquity weaves like byz and such and offering kits at cost, I would credit the author of the tutorial and include the site address for people who want to do independent research. I honestly can't foresee any of our fine members having a problem with that model but it does butt heads with the policy.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 am

djgm wrote:
Ya I was thinking of printing tutorials for antiquity weaves like byz and such and offering kits at cost, I would credit the author of the tutorial and include the site address for people who want to do independent research. I honestly can't foresee any of our fine members having a problem with that model but it does butt heads with the policy.

That policy is there for a reason. Me, I would be mighty pissed off if someone printed out multiple copies of a tutorial I made, without asking my permission to do so. It is simply rude not to. It doesn't matter if there is no profit being made - there's a fundamental difference between printing something for personal use, and printing it for multiple other people.

Ask permission. If the person gives permission, why then you won't be violating the policy.

Sir Didymus: None may pass this bridge without my permission!
Sarah: Well, may we have your permission?
Sir Didimus: Yes?

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 26, 2015 5:39 pm

djgm wrote:

You misunderstood me. Printing out a bunch of tutorials and handing them out is a break of copyright. You can have each person print out their own copy for their own personal use. One person, printing out a personal copy, for personal use does not seem to be what you are talking about here. You can sell kits with a printed link to any MAIL tutorial, but you cannot legally print and distribute the tutorial itself.

Copyright in simple terms means the right to copy and distribute material. The copyright owner is (almost always) the writer/photographer. Just because you are able to make a copy of something you see on the internet does not mean you have the legal right to copy and distribute it without written permission from the owner. Giving credit or not making a profit does not change that. Please see 10 Big Myths About Copyright Explained

There are no tutorials here written by "antiquity". A weave may be attributed to antiquity, but all tutorials contain pictures and written instructions with copyright belonging to the author only.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1