FOR SALE - Vitreous Glass Enameled Scales
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Trading Room

Submissions: 0

FOR SALE - Vitreous Glass Enameled Scales
Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 pm || Last edited by Andracassidy on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok, this is my first trading room post, so be gentle!

Basically, I just had a surprise solo fair gig land on me and with very little time to prepare, I am promoting my new line of merchandise early to try and build funds. I don't tend to like tooting my own horn, so you probably won't see a post like this from me again, but that's why I'm here today!

Now then. What is a Vitreous Glass Enameled scale?

Essentially it is this. I take a copper scale, small or large and I lay out a layer of powdered glass on the surface before firing it between 1,300 and 1,400 Fahrenheit. I then repeat the process on the back, usually with waste enamel as it wastes less of my pretty colors on the back of the piece, though I have done pieces with matching backs, at least so far as the base color goes. At this point I can either leave it as is, or add colors and fun, which is my habit so far, and throw in for another firing. The whole process takes perhaps 2-3 hours per scale. At this point the only exposed copper is along the edges. It turns out a tough layer of black oxidation along those edges, which I can leave as is if it matches the piece, or grind away (mostly) to expose the copper color and provide a clean outline.

When incorporated into pieces that allow free movement, they provide a very cheery and unique jingle. The glass is fairly thick, and so is not so fragile as you would expect. That said - I do NOT recommend them for items that will apply notable pressure on the piece. Flex is the enemy. tension leading to a flex will cause damage to the glass layer. I also do not recommend drilling additional holes as this could also damage the glass layer. So no armor pieces guys, sorry!

These are really more of a decorative add on for jewelry style accessories like earrings, necklaces, bracelets, hand flowers, coifs etc. For example, you could use them to fringe the bottom of a halter top, but if the top were scale, you wouldn't want to use it along the upper edges as the tension could crack the glass.

I only have so many listed right now, but I am open to requests, so long as it is kept in mind that I can't match colors exactly. I don't have the ability to shift my colors, so I would have to use the closest I have on hand.

All of that said, here they are!

Shiny!

EDIT: oops! Had to move my link due to a misunderstanding of the rules - pm me if you see something you like or would like something made. Smile

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Welcome Smile And they are gorgeous!

[Edit: Thanks so much for re-aligning your post with the Trading Room rules]

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1