2015 Ironmailler Challenge
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue May 12, 2015 6:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Now see what you've all done? You've woken the grumpy metal dragon Mad ...
The last incident that caused this was the death of someone very near and dear to a lot of us from TRL's Forums... I don't warrant that sort of attention. Confused

Seriously folks, I appreciate the sentiment, but it's hardly productive...

I've been asked by a member to step down.
I have.
The End.

It's just not worth the headache, for you or me...

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed May 13, 2015 6:13 am

If you feel like it im sure many members wouldnt object to you pokeing around in an unofficial capacity Smile

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 am

Cynake wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Done.

Long time no see man.

You've put up with the dren and abuse some members of this community feel entitled to attack volunteers with for... Jeez, what has it been, 5 years longer than I could?

It's just utterly shameful how some people have conducted themselves.

"I had this idea about improving MAIL, here's a fun contest, I've put in a lot of work to enable it so far and am stepping up to do a lot more work as a result of this."
"I had a barely-similar personal project several years ago that has seen no progress or participation in years. But you're stealing my idea and then EXCLUDING ME FROM THIS CONTEST. CORRUPTION! CORRUPTION! I'M A VICTIM."
"I had no idea. Stop being an ass."
"Did you see what he called me? I can't believe it. Once again the admins are acting unprofessional and attacking us. I'M A VICTIM."

And these people can't be reasoned with. Some unhappiness in their lives and how they feel about themselves distorts everything they see. They're blind that anyone else might not hate them as much as they hate themselves. It's genuinely sad but it's sadder that they drag everyone else who was doing good down with them.

On the plus side DL, you now have extra spare time to spend in communities that don't have or don't support these petty and toxic personalities, and can start to enjoy your hobbies again Smile.

Hi Cynake! Still breathin', are ya? Very Happy *hugs*

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
I've been asked by a member to step down.
I have.
It's just not worth the headache, for you or me...

Oh, I'm not trying to change your mind. You didn't try to change mine. I know it full well, when you're done you're done.

But it's still worth addressing.

Every community is going to have sh!tty, cruel, petty, self-absorbed people in it who spit hate and attack people who are volunteering to make things happen.

No one's beholden to the opinion of these people with misplaced victimization issues and low self-worth.

When I left it wasn't because of the very few bullies who treated me that way. Like I said, usually it has no basis in reality, it's just people who aren't happy with who they are, attacking others instead of fixing themselves. Those types will always be there and if they're not there'll soon be someone new to replace them. They don't represent the community who I was here to help. I left because, they sort of did represent the community. Not explicitly, they never had much support, most people see that deplorable behavior and just check out. But, implicitly, through the apathy and silence of everyone else, to some degree it *is* endorsement.

If the community's not going to speak up to challenge it and say no, that behavior's not acceptable and it's not fair for you to be treating others this way, and they leave the only voice being the bullies, then... honestly... why would anyone bother stepping up to volunteer to help that lazy community? If the vast majority of the membership can't even be bothered to spend 30 seconds condemning bullies and standing up for the community they want to see, why endure for them when it's emotionally exhausting to be targeted and abused that way? On top of, y'know, volunteering more hours into an organization than most people have hours into the hobby.

Mithralweaver's hardly the most troubled personality or worst bully this community has had over the years, and, I'm not up on the drama to say whether it's an aberration or par for the course, but, his(?) actions here in particular were deplorable and... someone should bother to step up to say that. And I shouldn't be the only one, but, meh, I doubt the community's changed *that* much.

Lorraine wrote:
Still breathin', are ya?

Doing great. Little older, little greyer, little balder, little fatter, little broker. But enough about you, I'm still dashingly handsome Smile. Still volunteering lots to keep busy, started a charity in fact. Venture away from the bowels of Facebook and say hi like a real person sometime (email).

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 4:38 am

Cynake wrote:
Lorraine wrote:
Still breathin', are ya?

Doing great. Little older, little greyer, little balder, little fatter, little broker. But enough about you, I'm still dashingly handsome Smile. Still volunteering lots to keep busy, started a charity in fact. Venture away from the bowels of Facebook and say hi like a real person sometime (email).

A-hole... Razz
Send me your email address!

Lorraine

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm just hoping this kind of thing won't eventually lead to the community bleeding such prolific and valuable contributors.

I'm relatively new to this art, and I need you guys around so I can sponge off your experience Very Happy

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 8:29 pm

I agree the existing administration is doing a fine job. I do not support the proposed mutiny.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Cynake wrote:
When I left it wasn't because of the very few bullies who treated me that way. Like I said, usually it has no basis in reality, it's just people who aren't happy with who they are, attacking others instead of fixing themselves. Those types will always be there and if they're not there'll soon be someone new to replace them. They don't represent the community who I was here to help. I left because, they sort of did represent the community. Not explicitly, they never had much support, most people see that deplorable behavior and just check out. But, implicitly, through the apathy and silence of everyone else, to some degree it *is* endorsement.

This is not so simple to deal with, though. What you see as apathy might not be so, it might be an effort of self-restraint, following the maxim "don't feed the troll"; a desire not to create even more drama. One thing I do loathe about some communities is the way people dogpile on someone: someone posts something people disapprove of and hundreds of people scream at them -- when the message of disapproval was clear at the first thirty. You also don't know how many people might have chastised the person behind the scenes. I agree, though, that "the behaviour you walk past is behaviour you condone". So there are good reasons to act and to not act!

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Cynake wrote:
And I shouldn't be the only one, but, meh, I doubt the community's changed *that* much.

You aren't.

Also, that same post of yours had blatant disregard for the article I linked to as well. For that, I am also condemning Cynake's posts in this thread.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Thu May 14, 2015 11:04 pm

I nominate TCG as the new appropriate conduct administrator Uber

Submissions: 24

Posted on Fri May 15, 2015 2:00 am

djgm wrote:
I nominate TCG as the new appropriate conduct administrator Uber

I've often linked from other forums to Blaise's article here because it really works well. It pretty much states that productive forums function on the idea of respect between all members (both standard members and moderators).

I don't believe any amount of moderation via administrators (myself included) could restore that respect. It would only silence the disrespect, delaying the argument until a future date.

Of course, I could be wrong.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Fri May 15, 2015 5:00 am

Lol, "could be wrong" I like to think I can't be wrong as long as noone understands what im saying.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Fri May 15, 2015 8:50 am

djgm wrote:
I agree the existing administration is doing a fine job. I do not support the proposed mutiny.

+1

kerravonsen wrote:
This is not so simple to deal with, though. What you see as apathy might not be so, it might be an effort of self-restraint, following the maxim "don't feed the troll"; a desire not to create even more drama.

Exactly.
As a moderator on some other forum, I've experienced sometime the best way to solve an issue is to let it cool off.
Especially if the complainant can't be reasoned with and doesn't really have a point.
Also, a poorly worded condemnation can be more harmful by 1) leading to more angry counter-condemnation posts, 2) increase moderator's work with borderline posts. And when you're already walking on eggs, it's very inconformable to have to reprimand someone who's trying to help you.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Fri May 15, 2015 8:25 pm

I have been busy at school so have not been able to be on the forum much lately. All I can say as an admin and a member is that I am really disappointed with what has gone on in this thread.

When we let our ego get in the way, our civility disappear because we are typing and not speaking face to face and we don't think before we type, good never comes of it.

I have not been here as long as some, but the last time this happened we lost some really good people and the site has never really recovered. I remember when I could check back in a half an hour and there would be 10 new threads and three times that many posts. I will try my best not to point fingers and cite examples, but if we do not think before we act MAIL will not survive another 2 years.

I have always tried to type what I would freely say if the person was standing right in front of me. The behavior I have just read reminds me of the little kids I teach every day and I try to come here to get away from all of that.

Think before you hit "Submit". I have now waited 5 minutes and re read what I wrote. I hope you will consider doing the same when confronted with an issue/comment/person that gets your blood boiling. Even though this will still offend people because they will read something into it I tried to just state the facts and only the facts.

DL - you have been a driving force of positive change in this community for the past 5+ years and I will greatly miss you if your decision is to move on. People truly have little idea what you have done for this site as well as this art and I thank you deeply for that. I just hope that the person who tries to replace you has the vision and dedication you have.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon May 25, 2015 7:14 am

So is the project still going on? I have a handful of samples in front of me right now.

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next