2015 Ironmailler Challenge
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 20

2015 Ironmailler Challenge
Posted on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 am || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I thought I'd suggest a contest... To run the remainder of 2015.
It goes along with an idea I have for MAIL...

"Normalized" Weave Pictures... That is, a sample of each weave, made in similar material, in similar gauges, photographed on similar backgrounds, roughly the same "density" (don't make ONE weave sample loose, and another TIGHT, if they both can be a happy middle ground), etc...

This would allow users to toggle their choice "Set" of images for Weave viewing...
IE: "Original Submitters" as MAIN
OR
(For example) Phong's 3D Renders as MAIN
OR
ZiLi's Example Set...
OR OR OR...

The Original Submitter image would still be prominently displayed on the weave page (and would be the default for a non-logged-in user) this would just give "Logged In" members an option...

And thus, the idea for this contest...

Spend the remainder of 2015 weaving similar samples of as many weaves as you can... Photographing them all (I recommend doing it in one or two big batches, to maintain consistency) for posterity, and potential inclusion should this turn out to be a success, and the feature is added.

For now, rather than upload any images, etc... Post a list of the samples you have made as you make them...
Top ... 3? 5 Maybe? Users at the end of the year will receive a special badge, similar to the Gallery Contest shields. Top placement will be a special version of such.

RULES

This is me making this up on the spot...
- Samples must be woven during the contest time frame (That is: 2015! Anything you've made since the beginning of this year can qualify.)
- Samples should be real maille (Yes Phong, I know I used your renders as an example...)
- Samples should be of an accepted weave here at MAIL
- I fully reserve the right to institute more rules as this progresses.

Bonus points for listening to Iron Maiden while weaving (except chainmailbasket...) or weaving while participating in an Ironman Marathon... Surprised

More to follow... Gauging interest.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 313

Re: 2015 Ironmailler Challenge
Posted on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
...in similar gauges...

I'm pretty sure he means similar wire diameters. Wink

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Gauging interest.

I'm pretty sure he means... um nevermind. Razz

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:56 am

Okay, I'm a bit confused

Quote:
This would allow users to toggle their choice "Set" of images for Weave viewing...

Does this mean that one would have to chose one default to see and only be able to see that? Because I don't like that, I would like to be able to see them ALL.

Quote:
That is, a sample of each weave, made in similar material, in similar gauges, photographed on similar backgrounds, roughly the same aspect ratio

Okay, I get the "similar material" -- like making all the samples from stainless, for example -- and "similar gauges" -- like making them all from 18SWG/1.2mm wire -- and "similar backgrounds" -- as in having the same photography (or scanning) setup for all of them -- but I am confused about "roughly the same aspect ratio". Wouldn't that depend on the weave? Or are you saying "pick a bunch of weaves that use the same aspect ratios"?

So, like, one would say "okay, let's see how many different weave samples can I make with my WD=1.2mm, ID=6.35mm (1/4 inch) AR=5.29 Bright Aluminium rings?" Is that what you're getting at?

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm

This reminds me of mithrilweaver's book project, just for this website instead of as a printed book.

I do really like the idea of adding more images for weaves, because there are quite a few really nice weaves that simply don't get noticed often (due to fuzzy pictures).

As for the display of them, I like the idea of a "set". Makes everything uniform. To get a good representation of the entire weave library, there is going to have to be some collaboration (either intentional or unintentional). Would you be able to set up these image sets to be displayed in the form of...

If (set1)
else (set2)
else (set3)
else (default_submitter)

Also...
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Samples should be real maille

Printed maille allowed? (Or any other styles from the No Metal contest for that matter).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 pm

kerravonsen wrote:
Okay, I'm a bit confused

Quote:

Does this mean that one would have to chose one default to see and only be able to see that? Because I don't like that, I would like to be able to see them ALL.

The original submitter image would be prominently visible still Smile The others would be visible as "Gallery Submissions" tagged using that weave, perhaps? Or in some other slideshow format.

kerravonsen wrote:
Quote:
That is, a sample of each weave, made in similar material, in similar gauges, photographed on similar backgrounds, roughly the same aspect ratio

Okay, I get the "similar material" -- like making all the samples from stainless, for example -- and "similar gauges" -- like making them all from 18SWG/1.2mm wire -- and "similar backgrounds" -- as in having the same photography (or scanning) setup for all of them -- but I am confused about "roughly the same aspect ratio". Wouldn't that depend on the weave? Or are you saying "pick a bunch of weaves that use the same aspect ratios"?

That's just me being overly tired, and unclear... Obviously similar Aspect ratios won't work for things like Half Persian 12 in 6 and JPL...
That was designed to be: Similar Aspect Ratio TIGHTNESS for a weave...
IE: if your sample of Euro 4 is "Loose" then your sample of Half Persian 3 should be "Loose"...

Does that make more sense?
Tired DL can be tired.

Useful Links

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:46 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
As for the display of them, I like the idea of a "set". Makes everything uniform. To get a good representation of the entire weave library, there is going to have to be some collaboration (either intentional or unintentional). Would you be able to set up these image sets to be displayed in the form of...

If (set1)
else (set2)
else (set3)
else (default_submitter)

Inevitably, SOME of the weave library will get missed... Likely, the more obscure or non-instructioned-impossible weaves... This sort of eventuality will be worked through as we see what sort of submissions (what % of the library we are covering) come in...
The logistics are a much later discussion, and still VERY open to discussion Smile This is more "get people weaving" Smile

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Also...
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Samples should be real maille

Printed maille allowed? (Or any other styles from the No Metal contest for that matter).

The goal should be to make something that everyone can look at and go "I could make that"... Hence the non-inclusion of 3D Images...
That being said, if/when this feature is implemented, that's certainly something that is open to discussion... For the purposes of this contest... Standard Chainmaille (Metal) Rings.

Useful Links

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 pm

Maybe I missed it but what is the desired sample size ? How many segment should we try to fit in the shot for sheets or chains. is the end game total uniformity or just consistency within our own submissions?

Posted on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:05 am

djgm wrote:
Maybe I missed it but what is the desired sample size ? How many segment should we try to fit in the shot for sheets or chains. is the end game total uniformity or just consistency within our own submissions?

Consistency within YOUR samples.

Useful Links

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:38 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
The original submitter image would be prominently visible still Smile The others would be visible as "Gallery Submissions" tagged using that weave, perhaps? Or in some other slideshow format.

Good, yes, that would work. Is there a tag for "weave sample"? Or possibly you could use a separate tag for each "set".
(Which reminds me... being able to select more than one tag at the same time for perusing the gallery is still on the cards, yes?)

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:40 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Inevitably, SOME of the weave library will get missed... Likely, the more obscure or non-instructioned-impossible weaves... This sort of eventuality will be worked through as we see what sort of submissions (what % of the library we are covering) come in...

Let me explain my reasoning for bringing that up...

I was running a numbers estimate. Newest weave is in key 1342. Mithrilweaver started asking for help after 150. Personally, I don't think I've woven more than 200 different weaves in the years I've been weaving. I would definitely be interested to see how much effort gets put into this contest [project] in the next 7 months.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 378

Posted on Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

yes, this is the basis for my book and website. 220 weaves so far all the same gauge, tightness, background, and pic style (black and white). still working on it by the way. i only got a few people that were interested in helping and they only lasted a month and then gave up. so, i'm back to doing it myself.

Submissions: 35

Posted on Fri May 01, 2015 12:33 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Personally, I don't think I've woven more than 200 different weaves in the years I've been weaving.
You've got me there. I think at most I've done less than 100 (including variants).

Posted on Fri May 01, 2015 12:56 pm

i've always thought m.a.i.l. would benefit from having a more normalized system of weave acceptance too. i would go something like this: weave submitter fills out form and sends a sample of the weave to the weaves admin at their own expense. the weave admin then decides if the weave is new and original. once decided, the weaves admin makes the weave in a standard format - gauge, pic color, background, tightness, etc. then, the pic that the weave admin takes is published as the main photo for the new weave. that way, the pic is the property of mail and can be changed or adjusted at any time as new info sometimes comes available. the submitter's photo and sample gets put into the weave description and the submitter gets credit for the originality they contributed.

on another note, i think gallery pics of the weave that other people submit should get put into the weave description as they already do now, but the gallery submitter should also gets a "credit" for mastering the weave. so, on their "my mail" page it would say - this person has mastered 200 weaves and the pics would be there to prove it. then, people get excited about mastering more weaves and having credit for it.

Posted on Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
i've always thought m.a.i.l. would benefit from having a more normalized system of weave acceptance too. i would go something like this: weave submitter fills out form and sends a sample of the weave to the weaves admin at their own expense. the weave admin then decides if the weave is new and original. once decided, the weaves admin makes the weave in a standard format - gauge, pic color, background, tightness, etc. then, the pic that the weave admin takes is published as the main photo for the new weave. that way, the pic is the property of mail and can be changed or adjusted at any time as new info sometimes comes available. the submitter's photo and sample gets put into the weave description and the submitter gets credit for the originality they contributed.

To be clear, this contest is not about changing the MAIL Weave Submission policy/process... Doing so would form a split between old and new weave submissions in the database...
This is about ADDING onto the existing submissions, and increasing benefit for the membership.

mithrilweaver wrote:
on another note, i think gallery pics of the weave that other people submit should get put into the weave description as they already do now, but the gallery submitter should also gets a "credit" for mastering the weave. so, on their "my mail" page it would say - this person has mastered 200 weaves and the pics would be there to prove it. then, people get excited about mastering more weaves and having credit for it.

I'm on the fence about this, personally... It's a bit like the "Weaves I know" lists you see popping up...
Given enough time, I could certainly churn out every weave there is a tutorial for... And I'd be willing to be at least 1/4 of the ones there aren't...
Is that credit worthy? I don't know... I don't personally think so... But then, I share so very little of anything I ever make... Unless I consider it neat (read: exceptionally geeky)... So that's me.
Feel free to submit something like this in the Features Requests thread, and get people talking about it... I may not feel it's needed, but I'm curious how others feel about it.

Useful Links

Posted on Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Quote:
To be clear, this contest is not about changing the MAIL Weave Submission policy/process... Doing so would form a split between old and new weave submissions in the database...
This is about ADDING onto the existing submissions, and increasing benefit for the membership.

i know, i was just throwing an idea out there for the website. your contest sounds fine to me, i just never participate in contests here because there aren't any real rewards. wasting time is fine for the noobs and hobbyists, but i'm trying to put food on the table here.

it doesn't have to split the old and the new. all the old pics go in as gallery submissions as new pics for each weave is updated. credit is still given to the original submitter. wording is the only thing that may get tossed if the description is not well done.

Quote:
I'm on the fence about this, personally... It's a bit like the "Weaves I know" lists you see popping up...
Given enough time, I could certainly churn out every weave there is a tutorial for... And I'd be willing to be at least 1/4 of the ones there aren't...
Is that credit worthy? I don't know... I don't personally think so... But then, I share so very little of anything I ever make... Unless I consider it neat (read: exceptionally geeky)... So that's me.
Feel free to submit something like this in the Features Requests thread, and get people talking about it... I may not feel it's needed, but I'm curious how others feel about it.

wow, this is the first time one of my ideas has not been immediately dismissed. mithril celebrates!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 5. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next