weaves admin
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion
   
Author Message

Joined: November 25, 2010
Posts: 1719
Submissions: 100
Location: Es-whoy-malth B.C.

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

ya im not in favor of having the general membership elect admins, the real identity of most members is unknown and polling system is easily circomvented. I havnt submitted a weave in a long time but it does seem from others posts including hers that narrina is having trouble finding time and suggest she select an assistant.

Joined: October 22, 2010
Posts: 691
Submissions: 390
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

narrina expressed to me having a lot of health problems. i don't blame her, i blame the system that doesn't have more weave assistants to help.



Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 601
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

This may seem like a stupid question... but...

How exactly would a weave admin assistant help?

To my knowledge, one of the main limiting items for turnover speed is weave stability - where a sample must be created and be reviewed by the weave admin.


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: February 8, 2013
Posts: 737
Submissions: 61
Location: Australia

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
How exactly would a weave admin assistant help?

To my knowledge, one of the main limiting items for turnover speed is weave stability - where a sample must be created and be reviewed by the weave admin.

So, surely, the sample could be created and reviewed by the assistant?


Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Joined: August 10, 2005
Posts: 7095
Submissions: 337
Location: UK

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:

Corvus wrote:
I expect I will get some narky replies on this but in all honesty this shouldn't be a problem.


I find no productive reason to have this sentence in your post. It is comments like these that continue the feud. If you think I'm being unfair in this judgement, read the entire thread I linked above - I've called out both sides on this issue.


Well you did just prove my point. This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. There have been much more incendiary comments in this thread alone than mine, yet those are passed over (and yes I have read the whole thread, several times before I decided to comment. One of the threads you linked also shows an admin calling a long standing and generously contributing member a 'troll'. Also read the thread you asked me to and all I can see are the same old people doing the same old things. One rule for them and another for everyone else. Yes you call two of them out on it, there were others who got away with similar comments and worse and still do.)
Yes there are still old feuds because none of the issues were dealt with. I gave this site a great deal of time and effort when I was admin and all I got for my efforts was this kind of sniping, is it any wonder people drop away.

I agree with kerravonsen a weaves assistant can do exactly the same job as a weaves admin. What is the site going to do if Narrina suddenly drops out or resigns due to health or other commitments? I'm not saying a membership wide vote is the way to go but if people are volunteering why are they being ignored?


Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Joined: May 31, 2014
Posts: 7
Submissions: 0
Location: United States

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok.. I don't post here a lot... but every time I read this post I wonder if the simpler answer would be to ask people in a hurry to just pop a small sample of their weave in the mail so someone could check it out IRL. Maybe even a few extra rings in the appropriate size so the admin could play with it a bit. Just an idea.............?

Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 601
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:05 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Corvus wrote:
Well you did just prove my point.


The way I see it, you provoked your point to be proven. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you may.

Corvus wrote:
I'm not saying a membership wide vote is the way to go but if people are volunteering why are they being ignored?


By people, you mean mithrilweaver? The way I read this thread is that mithrilweaver was only offering for the position if narnia was no longer the weaves admin. When narnia expressed no interest of stepping down and mithrilweave expressing no additional requests to personally assist, my logic flow assumed that that offer was retracted.

If I am wrong in this assumption, mithrilweaver can easily correct me and I shall weigh in with my opinions.

magicmonster wrote:
Ok.. I don't post here a lot... but every time I read this post I wonder if the simpler answer would be to ask people in a hurry to just pop a small sample of their weave in the mail so someone could check it out IRL. Maybe even a few extra rings in the appropriate size so the admin could play with it a bit. Just an idea.............?


While this would easily resolve the solution, there are still 2 clear issues with it:
1. Is the admin willing to give out their mailing address?
2. Is the submitter willing to pay for postage?
If I were the admin, I'm not sure I would give out my address or even be willing to ask members to pay postage to send me samples.


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: August 10, 2005
Posts: 7095
Submissions: 337
Location: UK

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Corvus wrote:
Well you did just prove my point.


The way I see it, you provoked your point to be proven. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you may.

Corvus wrote:
I'm not saying a membership wide vote is the way to go but if people are volunteering why are they being ignored?


By people, you mean mithrilweaver? The way I read this thread is that mithrilweaver was only offering for the position if narnia was no longer the weaves admin. When narnia expressed no interest of stepping down and mithrilweave expressing no additional requests to personally assist, my logic flow assumed that that offer was retracted.

If I am wrong in this assumption, mithrilweaver can easily correct me and I shall weigh in with my opinions.


I'm sorry, I didn't expect you would be so easy to manipulate.

Have any of the admins even bothered to make a post asking if anyone wants to help out?


Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 601
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Corvus wrote:
TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Corvus wrote:
Well you did just prove my point.
The way I see it, you provoked your point to be proven. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you may.
I'm sorry, I didn't expect you would be so easy to manipulate.

I'm reading that as another provocative response. You appear to be proving my point too.

Corvus wrote:
Have any of the admins even bothered to make a post asking if anyone wants to help out?

For weaves? Not that I'm aware of yet. But there have been multiple instances of Narnia mentioning that she has consulted others privately for assistance.

For other positions? Thread #1 Thread #2. Maybe if I put more effort than 2 minutes of searching I could find more.


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: August 10, 2005
Posts: 7095
Submissions: 337
Location: UK

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Touche, we have both proved each other's points!

What I'm getting from this thread is that the other admins don't care that Narrina is struggling under pressure from the position and personal circumstances. Also that they don't care that the membership are becoming increasingly frustrated.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that because it would ultimately mean a slow demise of the site, something which would greatly sadden me.

Would it not be a good idea to do something about this before things get worse? Or are we just going to continue arguing about it here?


Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 601
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I wouldn't say Narnia is struggling under pressure from the position. She is struggling to find enough volunteer-able time to keep up with the demand of the userbase. (I'm aware mithrilweaver has not been the only one asking for a turnaround - Slagr was eager to get his weave through before the end of a gallery contest).

This site needs new and dedicated individuals that can be trusted in their positions. No new admins have been added in the past 1/3rd of this sites existence - That by itself is a major "aging" issue for anywhere on the internet.

The main issue that always seems to come up in these discussions is who can and who can't be trusted. I'd rather have a thoroughly discussed direction to take rather than the first best option to be picked. (The two of us have been commenting back and forth, while it is likely that most if not all of the admins haven't even seen this part of this discussion yet.)


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: November 25, 2010
Posts: 1719
Submissions: 100
Location: Es-whoy-malth B.C.

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

the thing I wonder, and I know I've voiced this before but who coined the "weave" designation? did they not realize the tiered system would create animosity? I realize we want general reference terms for patterns and such but this whole new weave, variant, modification buisness got old real quick in my opinion.

Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:02 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Corvus wrote:
TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Corvus wrote:
Well you did just prove my point.


The way I see it, you provoked your point to be proven. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you may.


I'm sorry, I didn't expect you would be so easy to manipulate.

Covus, knock it off with this childish argument-bait. You are better than that.

Corvus wrote:

Have any of the admins even bothered to make a post asking if anyone wants to help out?

As you know, conversations between admins sometimes happen in PM. I personally have not received one single comment from Narrina one way or the other about her ability to continue as weaves admin. The admins cannot read minds. We need communication on this site (not on other sites) when an admin cannot do their job. I have offered my opinions on many weaves in the queue, as have other admins over the years. Narrina has graciously accepted or rejected those opinions in her decisions.

Wanting to help out, and being able to help out are two completely different things. You know that as well as, or better than, anyone else because of your past experience as weaves admin.

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Corvus wrote:
Well you did just prove my point.


The way I see it, you provoked your point to be proven. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you may.

TCG, stop rising to this kind of argument-bait. You are smarter than that.

Corvus wrote:
What I'm getting from this thread is that the other admins don't care that Narrina is struggling under pressure from the position and personal circumstances. Also that they don't care that the membership are becoming increasingly frustrated.

Wrong! What you are getting (as far as I can tell from your previous comments) is gossip from Facebook and other sites. Stop assuming people don't care. It's gossip, it's mean, and it's wrong.

Corvus wrote:
I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that because it would ultimately mean a slow demise of the site, something which would greatly sadden me.

Even if this site were to stand still in time right this very second, it would still be a valuable site. I would be sad too if that happened. But a "slow demise"? That's a bit melodramatic, in my opinion.

Corvus wrote:
Would it not be a good idea to do something about this before things get worse? Or are we just going to continue arguing about it here?

Discussion is welcome. Arguing is not.

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
I wouldn't say Narnia is struggling under pressure from the position. She is struggling to find enough volunteer-able time to keep up with the demand of the userbase. (I'm aware mithrilweaver has not been the only one asking for a turnaround - Slagr was eager to get his weave through before the end of a gallery contest).

This site needs new and dedicated individuals that can be trusted in their positions. No new admins have been added in the past 1/3rd of this sites existence - That by itself is a major "aging" issue for anywhere on the internet.

The main issue that always seems to come up in these discussions is who can and who can't be trusted. I'd rather have a thoroughly discussed direction to take rather than the first best option to be picked. (The two of us have been commenting back and forth, while it is likely that most if not all of the admins haven't even seen this part of this discussion yet.)

Yes, this site should have admins who can be trusted. That is not as easy as it sounds. I suspect you already know that. I have watched admin after admin be harassed into backing away from this site because of the childish behavior of a small percentage of membership. It is sad to watch.

djgm wrote:
the thing I wonder, and I know I've voiced this before but who coined the "weave" designation? did they not realize the tiered system would create animosity? I realize we want general reference terms for patterns and such but this whole new weave, variant, modification buisness got old real quick in my opinion.

"What is a weave" has been a tricky question from the beginning. That's why the weaves admin needs to know his/her stuff. I'm just about to the point of suggesting that any and all rings strung together be called a "weave". Do I think that would bring an end to this endless discussion of what is a "weave" and what is not a "weave"? Of course not. I've been around long enough to know it would not.

MODERATOR ANNOUNCMENT: I (Lorraine) am pro-free-speech. However, anymore comments in this thread that contain argument-bait, answers to argument-bait, or gossip (such as tired old real or perceived grudges) will be deleted and this thread will be locked. Anyone is free to start a new discussion thread that does not contain those things if that happens. As I said, discussion is welcome. Those other things are not. I hear Facebook is a great place for chainmaille gossip. Go there, or somewhere else if that's what you want to talk about. This is not the place.


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Joined: November 25, 2010
Posts: 1719
Submissions: 100
Location: Es-whoy-malth B.C.

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:32 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I get the weave section is a smaller collection of pictures were there are fewer duplicates to build understanding of ring interactions but if we are at that point were you would put any two rings in there with a new name maybe we are at the point the weave database could be locked.

Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

djgm wrote:
I get the weave section is a smaller collection of pictures were there are fewer duplicates to build understanding of ring interactions but if we are at that point were you would put any two rings in there with a new name maybe we are at the point the weave database could be locked.

That actually makes a lot of sense! However, I am pretty sure that there are a few people out there who can make a "new" weave. Not many, but at least a few. I would hate to close the weave library to legitimate new weaves.

I honestly don't understand why people are so hurt by their picture being deemed a "design" instead of a "weave" and put into the gallery. Why is that so bad? I have personally NEVER come up with a new "weave". Am I ashamed of that? No, I'm not...


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
All times are GMT. The time now is Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 am
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion
Display posts from previous: