Hanging a Scalemail mosaic
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

Hanging a Scalemail mosaic
Posted on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:14 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have a long-time project that has come near to completion and I've hit a bit of a crossroads for how to finish it. I've made a scale-mail mosaic inspired from the logo of a friend's website, but I'm not quite sure how to hang it. The idea is that it will hang "flat" similar to a wall scroll, but I'll hook it to a chain that allows it to freely swing around so you can also see its back.

The piece itself is pill-shaped, so it doesn't have a squared top, and even if I could support it flat on the top, the sides want to curl inwards, so something needs to help pull the sides taught. I've considered neoprene/rubber rings but i'm not sure if TRL's 16 gauge will hold up to a 5.5 lb mosaic like this.

Material is stainless steel jump-rings and Ring Lord small aluminum scales.

If anybody can offer some solutions or ideas that are not completely outlandish or expensive, I'm open to suggestions.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:18 pm

No ideas for hanging, but just wanted to say it looks pretty cool - good job!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 am

Scales will curl due to their shape, not much you can do to stop it other than a stiff backing. For a stiff backing, thin plywood <1/4", thin sheet of metal with folded edges (otherwise the sheet will just bend), thick cardboard (maybe). Once the back is stiff, I'd suggest the fairly typical rod/dowel across the top edge with a looping chain or rope to hang it from.

Nicely done on the inlay, I personally like the look of the backside skull (in spite of being "washy").

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 39

Posted on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:04 am

If it was suspended by one or two chains, say JPL5, would it hang properly? If not, I would say run a thin pole the length of the long side that you could slide into the rings and hid it.

Just some thoughts.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 22

Posted on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 am

I think putting an horizontal rod at the top and bottom should keep it in place.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:36 pm

I had been playing around with the idea of using a curved rod in the shape of the pill, but my concern was that the rings on the sides wouldn't have anything to grip.

That being said, after reading some of these comments I'm thinking trying something with a slightly curved bar at the top and bottom and then the sides have a vertical chain that I could connect the sides through.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1