What did I do wrong..? E4-1 Exp. fill in core
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

What did I do wrong..? E4-1 Exp. fill in core
Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've done something wrong and can't figure it out... I wanted to try the European expanding Circle (fill in core) and as you can see the "fill in" is not right. Can you explain what I need to do to fix it. I try to follow wasted_druid's tutorial as best I could. Maybe I should try again with Aderamelch's core method tutorial....
I would also like to thank everyone that has posted to all of my help threads. I always spend time looking for my answers before asking for help. Thanks.[/img]

*** That doesn't look right.... ***

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 pm

In the bottom right portion you need to open the circle and add another few rings.
Ring count should be one more in the outside all the way in.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 pm

i count 22 around the outside, shouldnt it be 24? oh but wasted druid wants 16 around the outside other than that you are doing what druid said. not to be disparaging but there has got to be a better expanding circle tutorial on here.

here try this one European 4 in 1: Flat Expanding Circle

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:02 pm

You'd have done better to start with a queen ring in the very center with five rings going into it, and work out from there.

Your outer three rows are quite all right, but inward from there you've got a row that has a link-lie one way for three to five links, then the link-lie is flopped over the other way for a few links. Looks like you were losing track of just which linkrow you were in -- all the links in a given row must share the same link-lie -- they all have to lay in the same direction all the way around. Know which row you're working in, and which direction its links have to lean in to mesh with the row below/outside it.

With that sorted out, and taking contractions as needed going up and in, you can probably get where you need to be.

There's no law against a queen ring only having four links through it, maybe even as few as three. Or one extra large queen ring (say, next size up, same wire) with six or seven. Too many links shoved into there gives you "nipple head" because the more links are shoved into one link, the steeper they will lie, and that stands them right up. So don't get nuts with putting links into the queen; that's why I recommend just five, through a just plain regular ring from your batch.

You're going to be using rather a lot of contractions close together as you get up there; if you'd built it from a queen ring as ground zero outwards, then you'd have been making many expansions. Contraction or expansion, which one they are is just a matter of which way you're going; they're the same, just upside down. So, expect to be hooking through three links of the linkrow below/out to pull things in tighter, as needed, once you have the link-lies for the inmost rows in order.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:15 pm

3 rows in from the edge, and to 4 o'clock: the link just at 3:45 that is through two links should hook through the three links presenting themselves there in the next row out. That's a good place for a contraction. Likewise up at 1 o'clock.

Looks mostly like you can fix things by trying contractions.

The gap at 9 o'clock you can fix using the link that is just below the gap to take up the third link -- now it has two, and to contract needs to take that third link right at the 9 o'clock.

You can work a mail yarmulke from the outside in or from the inside out just as readily once you learn what to expect, and now you should expect contractions. From a center queenring out is just easier to explain and visualize. About all of the "make a mail snowflake" tutes for starting coifs are variations on queen-ring-outwards building. They're very handy for pointing you to where you should insert extra links to build the needed expansions -- you can see the gaps as they open between the snowflake's arms, and you fill in the gaps with links and proceed outward with another linkrow, waiting for things to start to get stretched out more, which is when you insert some expansion links into the peripheral row. You don't really even need to worry about how many links around you can count.

A contraction or expansion is a basic-mail-unit, one element, of E5-1 in a sea of E4-1, the center link going into 3 links in one row, two in the other. Which row is which doesn't matter much, except for which way things are supposed to get bigger/smaller.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 pm

I learned how to do the expansion from one of the artisans of my local Renaissance festival.
www.chainmail.com/chainmall/cteach2.htm#COIF_DESIGN
Hope this helps!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1