Candle Skirts
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 5

Candle Skirts
Posted on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Here's a neat little candle skirt that's real easy to make. All you need are 15 small scales and 135 rings, I'll list the specifics below.

Here they are lit in a dark room. Notice how the rings cast shadows along the scales that rise as the flame gets lower.

Not lit.

Without the candle in the middle.

Flipped over without the candle.

Picked up by the pedals.

Required materials:
-135 Aluminium rings with an AR of 3.75 (.240/.064), I'd expect an AR between 3.5-3.8 would work but I have not tried it myself.
-15 Small scales, these are small stainless scales from TRL. They measure 1.413 x .878 with a .342 hole.

Assembly:
-Pre-open all of the rings.
-Connect the scales to each other in a row with three connector rings. Loop around and connect the last scale to the first, forming a circle or loop.
-With the loop of scales facing upwards (as they will be when finished), pass two new rings between the two inner most rings on a scale then connect them to the same two inner rings on the scale next to it. Repeat until you've gone all the way around.
You'll now have a loop of scales connected by a strip of 4-2 with an extra ring on the outside. That extra ring is quite visible in the flipped over shot.
-From here it's just E4-1, keep adding rows of 15 rings until complete. Alternating from weaving on the inside going counter-clockwise to weaving on the outside going clockwise per row makes connecting the rings much easier.
-Enjoy.

You can make it bigger or smaller simply by adding or subtracting scales and basing your ring count off it, likewise you can make it taller by adding more rows to the top row.

As you surely noticed the they have no bottom, this could be a problem for some, as shown in the last image they can be lifted by a pedal providing the skirt fits the candle. The base of the scales angling inward when lifted causes them to pinch the candle. Safety first, don't move a burning candle.

The candles shown are cheap little votive candles 1.5" wide and .75" tall in an aluminium jacket or sleeve.

The sequence of the scales, top clockwise, counter-clockwise or an alternation of both can be changed at any time with the correct wiggle of adjoining scales when flipped over there is just enough room to slip one over the other.

I priced these out at TRL with SC Al rings and small Al scales along with a bag of votive candles from Walmart or Target, the cost per skirt was less than $2 CDN.

For version two I hope to add a base along with some EPMD rings to serve as feet to provide better gripping power.

I'm going off memory and a few notes I scratched out while making the last one and as such I may have forgotten a step somewhere in there. I have a few more to make in the next week or so, I'll verify and correct if needed.

Let me know what you think.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Looks like you have a nice article there. You should submit it as a tutorial.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Those are super-pretty! AR 3.75. So, 16 ga 7/32 - 1/4" ID?

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:36 pm

MM: It's in the works, trying different build methods to see what's easiest and redoing the photos. Smile

Revvig: The mandrel I used is .240 which is in the middle of the two common fractional sizes, 7/32 being .2118 and 1/4 being .250. Quarter inch is the closer of the two, I don't expect it would loosen the skirt much, 7/32 would probably make the first rows of 4-2 very difficult.

After building two more, I've upped the ring count to 150 due to another (fifth) row of E4-1 along the top. I'll get the notes gathered up and put into a tutorial in the next few days.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Thank you, Levi! All of my mandrels are in Imperial sizes, so I'll try it with 1/4" 16ga copper. You just saved me, btw. I didn't know what to give my wife for Christmas, but she loves tea light candles, and these are awesome. Thanks! Smile

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Any news on what size (in "normal" sizes) rings work best for this? The holidays are coming and I am trying to decide what rings to buy to make a bunch of these for gifts.

Thanks for sharing this idea, they look great!

PA

Posted on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 pm

/Levi looks over at the other half finished candle skirt to his left.

I knew there was a reason it's been sitting there for nearly a year... /adds this project to list of to-dos.

I just made some rings out of 0.065" Galvy on a 0.25" mandrel. The kerf compensates for any spring back and the rings measure out with a 0.25" ID when closed, which gives them an AR of 3.8.

On a visual level you can just see the difference if you line a new ring to the old Al ones.. I'll try to get another skirt made this evening using these new rings. Off the top, I really don't think the 0.01" difference in ID is going to change anything but I'll know for sure in a bit.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Levi wrote:
I really don't think the 0.01" difference in ID is going to change anything

I should really know better by now. That 0.01" creates just enough slack to prevent the candle from holding the scales on an angle, they sit flat. Never fear, I've figured out how to tighten it back up so the scales have some lift along with IMO improving the look. By reducing of the row count by one and adding another 15 rings to the outer edge, it seems to work out.

I'll post a few pics once I've had a chance to edit them. The new version will require 165 rings at AR 3.8, instead of 150 at AR 3.75.

I currently only have 18 free scales to work with and I only made 180 rings yesterday so I'm building this one up then tearing it down to try a different variations. I have one other variant I want to try before submitting the tutorial.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Here are a few pics of the new variant using rings with an AR of 3.8. To make the skirt sit with the scales raised I had to add a row of doubled shaggy rings to the outer edge that pulls the scales up.

Lit casting shadows.

Full shot.

With only one shaggy ring the scales lay flat.

I'm going to start taking it apart now to try V1.3, more in a few hours.

Oh yeah, I wasn't kidding about the old one, sitting to my left since last December...

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Ok, v1.3 is good. I like this iteration the most thus far, while mine is fairly bland with only a single colour (not to mention being galvanized steel), I can imagine with a few different colours/metals they could look pretty nice. .3 fits the candle better than the previous versions, snug but you can put it on or take it off easily.

Here is .3 lit in a dark room.

Shown here in normal day light from above.

I have all the build images ready, just need to check the instructions and I'll submit it as a tutorial.

.3 brings the required rings to 165 per skirt.

EDIT:The article has been submitted to the queue. Awaiting approval.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Thank you VERY much! I didn't mean to cause you all of that work.

I never stop finding it interesting how such a small measurement makes a difference when you are magnifying it row after row.

I look forward to the tutorial. I have been pretty lazy about chainmail for the last year or so, this project will get me back into it just in time for the cold season. Now I will have to decide on metals . . . hmmm . . .

Thanks again,

pa

Posted on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 pm

No problem, it was on my to do list, which I've been hitting hard for the last few days so why not get it done now.

I should have checked sooner but most of the 16g 1/4" rings at TRL have a measured AR of 4, which will probably affect the layout. I'm pretty sure the extra slack can be taken up by v1.2 build which was a bit too tight around the candle with the 3.8 rings.

The build variation for v1.2.

Follow the tutorial (once it's live) and make these changes.

-Instead of three rows, build four rows of E4-1.
-At step 10, add the shag rings between the row four ring and the extra ring at the scale. Pin to the left/right for clockwise/counter shag.
-Repeat the previous step to double the shag rings. You don't need to pull the top row of E4-1, the second ring should fit easily enough.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:53 pm

The article has been approved, you can find it here.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 39

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Nice Tut! Thanks for the great information.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Haven't forgotten this
Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:22 pm

I didn't forget about this I just got busy and time went by on me. The rings from TRL arrived tonight and I will start playing around with it and hopefully have something done this weekend. I will share what I end up with.

I went with 16 ga 1/4 inch rings. Hopefully the AR is in the ballpark.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this and write an article,

PA

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next