Multi-Crafting And Maille
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 61

Multi-Crafting And Maille
Posted on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've noticed in the "newbie introduction" posts, a lot of people seem to be multi-crafting -- not just maille, but other crafts. A certain subset of that is anything-to-do-with-jewellery crafts (such as beading, wire-wrapping etc) but it isn't just that. There's been leatherwork, knitting, crochet, all sorts of crafts.

Which really makes me feel at home, because I'm a multi-crafter myself. Something catches my eye, and I teach myself how to do it. Some crafts have stayed with me (macrame, beading, crochet, loom-knitting), others have been put down again (stamping, embossing, t-shirt-painting, leatherwork, sewing) and still others I'm just dipping my toes into (tatting, wire-wrapping).

So is there something about maille that attracts multi-crafters? Or is it simply inevitable that multi-crafters would stumble across mailleing and want to do it?
As a contrast, it seems like some crafts -- such as knitting -- attract people who just tend to stick with it and not explore further. Or am I imagining that?

What do you all think? What attracted you to maille?

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 am

Wire wrapping is what caused me to stumble into chain maille but I primarily cross stitch. There are some specialty stitches involved in it, but for the most part it's just thousands of different colored little x's. Chain maille is what I pick up when I want to challenge myself or learn something new (like a new weave). Coif Smiley

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:13 am

i think we all wear many hats, the nice thing about maille is it has a nice comfy spot between the "gender norms" it can be pretty and delicate or beastly and rough and tumble. you arn't really going to come across many cis guys who get into knitting or beading for a contrary example.

for my own reasons I think i really just got into maille because it is a great time consuming hobby so i feel i could see myself doing it in the long term. I always like working with tools and being artistic sorta a merging of physical ability and mental faculty, i think a lot of people fall into this boat.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I also do some Viking knit and would like to get into full-on blacksmithing. (patternwelded tungsten plate steel!) Some friend of mine said Viking knit looked girly, so I made some out of 20ga. steel welding wire, hehe. um... does anyone know how to draw out 20ga. viking knit?

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Posted on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:38 am

LordPyridine wrote:
I also do some Viking knit and would like to get into full-on blacksmithing. (patternwelded tungsten plate steel!) Some friend of mine said Viking knit looked girly, so I made some out of 20ga. steel welding wire, hehe. um... does anyone know how to draw out 20ga. viking knit?

How could anything associated with Vikings look girly? Very Happy

Posted on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25 am

idk men braiding eachothers hair is pretty girly Very Happy

Posted on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:16 pm

I guess because it is all lacy looking when it's half drawn like 90% of the pictures on google. Also, don't try to draw out 20 ga. stainless viking knit. (I don't even know how much blood I lost)

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Posted on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi, I'm one of these newbies (I guess)

I'm cosplayer, so I used to worth with patterns, clothes, props, foam, wood, leds and wires, etc, but I never tried to work with metal.

I was really atracted for chainmail armor sets (they look extremly awesomes *___*), so this year started in the world of chainmail, and now I'm just finishing my first chainmail shirt, but I really enjoying thi, so I want to craft more parts, like a coif or.. maybe a chainmail tie? I dont know Razz

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 pm

djgm wrote:
idk men braiding eachothers hair is pretty girly Very Happy

Well that's pretty misogynistic... Razz

Are you kidding me? People without long hair have no idea how GOOD it feels to have someone playing with your hair.
(DL -- Who has had long hair for well over half his life)

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm

there is just something quintessentially and admittedly stereotypically "girly" about braiding eachothers hair. im actually trying to convince myself now (as i do every winter) to grow my hair long. so we'll have to see if i reach the state of sheer ecstasy that is braiding length. Smile

Posted on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:26 am

I consider myself a multi-crafter. I started with Maille though, so it was everything else I branched into, including: wrapping, leather working, and sheet metal. Most of mine stemmed from the fact that I enjoy anything medieval though.

Ian

Posted on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 am

Given, I don't work much in any other media but metal, but I think maybe maille is more multi-craft/hobby open since metal, as a media, can be worked into other arts and activities readily. (e.g. It appears a rather natural progression maille to jewelry or vice versa.) Maille pairs well with some of the work I do for a living (electronic work)--similar media {wire}, tools {various pliers} and similar skills {bend this to fit that}.

Just a sideline thought.

- Z.

Posted on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:18 pm

I've recently just begun collecting tools and supplies for leatherworking. So I guess I could be called a multi-crafter although I haven't actually made anything from leather yet. Wink

Hey now, enough with the braiding. I have long hair almost to my belt and it can definitely be a girl-magnet. Plus braids are quite functional. You don't want it to get all snarly when riding your motorcycle!

Posted on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:22 pm

im not saying braids aren't cool, just girly Very Happy im rocking a mullet right now because the hair on the back of my head is growing faster so i'm not telling anyone how to wear their hair today.

Posted on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:56 am

Ivanova wrote:
Given, I don't work much in any other media but metal, but I think maybe maille is more multi-craft/hobby open since metal, as a media, can be worked into other arts and activities readily. (e.g. It appears a rather natural progression maille to jewelry or vice versa.)

One could make the same kind of argument for yarn/thread crafts...

Mind you, I resemble that remark, considering that the first yarn craft I did was macrame, and then many years later I discovered micro-macrame, which lead me to crochet, which led me to loom-knitting and kumihimo and tatting. And some day I am going to crack doing wire crochet and/or viking knit. Some day my wire won't immediately break...

As it is, I am currently addicted to buying yarn; thick chunky yarn for the loom-knitting, thin delicate yarn for jewellery-making, in-between yarn for anything I can think of. But unlike the cloth I used to buy, this stuff isn't sitting around collecting dust; it's actually being used to make stuff. Yay for portable crafting!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next