Need a captian's coat
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Need a captian's coat
Posted on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:19 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So I have.a sister getting married. My nickname for her has been Captain for forever. I need to find one of two things to give to her on her wedding day.

Ideally, I would like to find a full Napoleanic Wars era British Royal Navy captian's coat, complete with the two shoulder bits that signify more than 3 years' seniority. If I could, I would like to price out a Royal Navy admiral's uniform (for an older sibling) and a genral's uniform from that era. (It gets to some inner-family politics. I will get sizes once I know what I am looking for!)

Barring that, I at the very least need to find the shoulder bits. I have checked--her dress will be constructed such that they can be attached. But at bare minimum, I need those shoulder pieces. I have heared them termed gold lace, and epolates, and a few other things, but do not know what to call them for a Google seach.

Can anyone here eh,p me with this? It is something I really need to do, and I would rather do it right than to make something "close enough" that really isn't anything close to accurate. In my family, historical accuracy and the ability to document your actions counfpts for a LOT, and my relationship with this sister is such that I really do need to do this right.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:42 am

A quick google search of 'british navy 1800 epaulette' got me here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_ranks,_rates,_and_uniforms_of_the_18th_and_19th_centuries

which includes this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RNShoulderBoards.jpg

The era you're looking at seems to have spanned two different styles of epaulette, with a relatively plain style holding sway for the majority of the period, and a fancier style coming it just shy of the end.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:31 pm

You looking for something similar to this?

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Napnavy.html

I just googled it and this is the top link. You could possibly also look at costume companies.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:47 am

Tedronai has it right--I am looking for the early covers ion. Trouble is, at doesn't really help me make an accurate one. With my family, that is vital. I have gotten away with a LOT of stuff because I could provide documentation.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1