Border for a 4-in-1 board game
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Border for a 4-in-1 board game
Posted on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm making a board game for my son. I've bought the rings for 4-in-1, and need a border to firm up the edges. Does anyone know what will work?

Posted on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 am

I4-1, maybe? Might be worth a try, anyway.

Posted on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks Smile I'll give it a go.

Posted on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Just to clarify: I'm using Anodized Aluminium rings, WD: 1.2mm, ID: 3.97mm (5/32"), AR: 3.1
My problem is that I want the border to lie flat AND not to 'pucker' the game board. Is it simply a matter of using a largerring size for the border? And if so, would you recommend (to enhance the look of the piece) that I make the border from a larger ID whilst maintaining the same WD? Or keeping the same ID and making the WD smaller?
If I had a range of rings I'd experiment, but I'm a chainmaille newby so am short of ring options (unless I buy in - and that's expensive simply in the hope that it'll work!).
Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:05 am

I'm not sure what you want the border to do... I'm imagining this board will be a square piece of Euro 4 in 1 with no rigidity. Are you expecting the border to support it like a frame? That's not likely to work. If you just want a visual border, I would say keep the rings the same size and AR, just change the metal so you get a colour contrast. I think the danger with changing the weave or the ring size/AR is that it's going to be really difficult to make it match up so that it doesn't cause a contraction or expansion which will make it pucker.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:17 am

i always border 18swg 5/32" with 18swg 1/8" but i use stainless steel and it sounds like the aluminum ARs could come out differently. also knowing your supplier might be helpful, they are all a bit different. picking up some 18swg bright aluminum might not be too pricey for the experiment but i wouldnt try to border with anodized i think the wire is a bit thicker and makes the ar awfly tight.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1