Getting Wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

Getting Wire
Posted on Mon May 26, 2014 8:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'd love to make my own silver rings, or silver plated, however it would be. I would want a bright silver color. I am having a hard time finding the best wire for it though. I would need 18g wire. I know that I would need to get mandrels for the size of the rings I want but I prefer to work with 18g wire.

Does anyone know of any online suppliers of decent silver colored wire? Coif Smiley

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue May 27, 2014 6:38 pm

http://www.parawire.com/craft-store/18-gauge/

Posted on Tue May 27, 2014 10:13 pm

That's copper wire, is there anything for anodized aluminum or is that the best I'm going to get?

Posted on Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Also, what would be the main difference between AA and Copper? and if people were allergic to copper would the plating prevent an allergic reaction?

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed May 28, 2014 1:53 am

The "silver" Parawire is silver-plated.

As for allergies, never ever promise someone they won't be allergic to something or have an allergic reaction. There will invariably be that one person...
Metal Allergies

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed May 28, 2014 2:08 am

WhiteheartJ wrote:
That's copper wire, is there anything for anodized aluminum or is that the best I'm going to get?

TRL sells clear anodized rings but not wire, last I checked... And it would be aluminium coloured, not quite "silver"...

Posted on Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 am

WhiteheartJ wrote:
Also, what would be the main difference between AA and Copper? and if people were allergic to copper would the plating prevent an allergic reaction?

See the article Lorraine posted (that I actually wrote... Coif LoL) for a bit more detail, but...

If people are allergic to copper, they'd probably also avoid silver, as Sterling Silver usually has 5 or 6 percent copper in it as well... If they're not THAT allergic to copper, in that they can wear sterling, then the plating should also be fine as well Smile But Your Mileage May Vary.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed May 28, 2014 2:37 am

TLR has AA wire, both 'square' wire and round, including one they call 'bright silver', but I'm only seeing 16swg (14awg, 1.6mm) for some reason

edit:
they do appear to have 18swg 'bright silver' rings
I do not see 18awg AA rings

edit2: they also have a finish they call 'frost' that might be called generally 'silver' in appearance, with the same availability as the 'bright silver'

Authentic Links
Posted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

I have not been able to find a supplier for wrought iron wire for links; so if I were to put the resources (this will take time... a lot of time) in to building a bloomery and learning the technique how many people care enough to pay surplus for wrought iron wire instead of galvy? Also, how much would you be willing to pay for the authenticity (I would be casting/hammering wire instead of drawing it.)

Also, would there be a market here for pattern welded blunt swords? Which would be wrought iron, solder free, and carbon rolled.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 pm

you should start a new thread androidtibble. none of the welders/riveters are in this thread, and if you want to sell anything that goes in the trading room forum. also group purchases typically go in the Trading Room

Submissions: 61

Posted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Tedronai wrote:
edit2: they also have a finish they call 'frost' that might be called generally 'silver' in appearance, with the same availability as the 'bright silver'

No, the "frost" is not silver at all, it's white. And the white coating, for some reason, scratches/marks really easily when one is working those rings.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 am

Tedronai wrote:
TLR has AA wire, both 'square' wire and round, including one they call 'bright silver', but I'm only seeing 16swg (14awg, 1.6mm) for some reason

edit:
they do appear to have 18swg 'bright silver' rings
I do not see 18awg AA rings

TRL sells "19g" bright aluminum wire and rings. You have to look at the actual wire size and ignore "gauge" numbers. 19swg = 1mm wire diameter. 18awg = 1mm wire diameter. Pretty much the same thing.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Re: Authentic Links
Posted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Consult with Erik D. Schmid about whether wrought wire is going to find a market. I think he can quickly advise you about whether the wire is drawn or not -- but iirc it was. Chemically pure iron wire certainly isn't a lot of use -- rather brittle, and too fragile too.
Androidtribble wrote:
Also, would there be a market here for pattern welded blunt swords? Which would be wrought iron, solder free, and carbon rolled.

Do one for your own satisfaction and ego-boo, I'd say. Enjoy the plaudits from the rebated-steel guys who see your crafted, crafty weapon.

Because about everyone who likes pattern welded wants to cut things with it.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Re: Authentic Wire
Posted on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Well, that is all I needed to know. There is not enough interest in it for the expense, and I don't really care that much either lol. However, if I ever get good enough to make a museum quality piece I will probably make some wire.

Note: The wire would not be chemically pure iron, it would be pack carburized (iron inside and steel outside.)

Posted on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Sounds a good choice.

Cementation hardening/pack carburization of low-carbon wire was also described in Agricola's De Re Metallica. That where you're getting the idea?

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next