Cutting coils flush and easy
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 19

Cutting coils flush and easy
Posted on Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:09 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I talked to stargrazer about wanting to use his idea of a cutting setup shown in the new article, but I want to cut stainless. Stargrazer has warned me not to cut it because it will dull the blades really fast Sad . Does anyone know of any other place that sells saws like that, just maybe tungsten or carbide? I tried Google and nothing reasonable came up. there were a lot of saws like that, but the holes were too big and they didn't hae enough teeth, which, in my opinion, would make much rougher cutting, especially with only 24 or 36 teeth to a 2" OD saw. Any ideas?
Reed

"Life is like a box of chocolates...but yours is like a box of live grenades!!!"
A man/boy/teenager of many talents/hobbies/gifts.
Check out better resolution pics of my stuff, as well as more in general at http://community.webshots.com/user/bnnnboy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:26 pm

Look for diamond edged, should cut better.

Posted on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:36 am

I tried to find some blades like that, but they are either the wrong size or too expensive. I have looked for carbide tipped blades but similarly have not had good results. If anyone knows of cheap blades like these, I would love to know.
Reed

"Life is like a box of chocolates...but yours is like a box of live grenades!!!"
Check out better resolution pics of my stuff, as well as more in general at http://community.webshots.com/user/bnnnboy

Posted on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:42 am

carbide or diamond aint gonna be cheep so ya gotta think how bad you want to saw SS and how you are gonna make the blades last

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:26 pm

find cheap blades with a lot of teeth. the more teeth the longer the blades last. you are supposed to have 3 teeth for every width of your cut. other wise it rips the teeth off your blade, which wrecks it entirely. i learned that in metal shop. Smile

my myspace page
runescape screenname was Sour D
-trusty sidekick
-kid Confused

Posted on Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:15 pm

I'm trying a high speed cutting disk today, gonna see how that goes. I'll let ya'll know.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:57 pm

I checked out Stargrazer's artical.... and followed the link to the online store he'd pointed out...

Stargrazer has a 152 tooth, .020" blade

I noticed there is a 190 tooth, .010" blade there also... it's a bit more pricy but wouldn't it yeild a better product?

Finer cut, from more teeth as well as .01" instead of .02" would mean lest matarial removed from the ring therfore even less distortion.

Anyones thoughts?

Also, couldn't someone set up the cutting block so that the blade cuts the coils at a 45 degree angle thus making for a somewhat cleaner closure?

Thanks,
Brucifir

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:27 pm

I ordered the disk he suggested, and one of the next smaller one, .17 or something like that, gonna see, and order more if I need to. I like having stuff.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:37 pm

yeah, i figure that when i do get around to trying it out, I'm just gonna get like 3 of each...

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:20 pm

Brucifir,
The only problem might be strength, but I guess if they make them that thin, they must work.
Reed

Posted on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:45 am

I started cutting the coils today, using the tip about candlewax. Now my only problem is that there is melted and then hardened wax with metal on the rings. Is there a good way to clean them? I can rub it off with my fingers, but that will take forever.
Reed

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:19 am

just leave it on. it will either protect from scratches or will fall off anyway from rings hitting that part. dont worry. be happy Smile

my myspace page
runescape screenname was Sour D
-trusty sidekick
-kid Confused

Posted on Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:57 pm

Well, I've heard something aboutputting them in a sock in the dryer to shine them. See, I am not sure when the wax is on as to whether the ring has a nice cut or if the saw jumped and gashed the ring.
Reed

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:15 am

Then don't use wax - use bar soap.. It comes off in water Smile

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:57 pm

I've also heard that a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil or WD-40 oil does an excellent job for lubrication.

I seem to remember someone writing that in a board post about dremel cutoff wheels.... same basic principal.... I'd think it might work.

Thanks,
Brucifir

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 7. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next