padding for pliers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 388

padding for pliers
Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

i've tried lots of different padding for my pliers and have settled on a cotton wrap from an old t-shirt. it is the best i've tried and just wanted to share. it is the least expensive and most effective in my opinion. cotton absorbs stress well, absorbs oils in the skin (so there is no build up), contours to your individual grip over time, and is easy to replace. i've tried rubber coatings, foam, no cushion, etc. instructions: cut strips out of an old t-shirt that are the same width as the handles of the pliers. you will need to make the strips about 2ft-3ft long. start the wrap on the handles pulling tight to stretch the cotton over the handles - this way the cotton clings tightly to the handles and will not slip when stress is applied. continue the tight wrap until you reach a good thickness that you prefer. cut off excess wrap. wrap rubber bands tightly at the top and bottom of the wrap to keep the wrap from coming undone and slipping when stress is applied. you may need to adjust the rubber bands at the top of the handles to accommodate for full closure of the pliers. the wrap might also keep the pliers from closing fulling. if this is the case use scissors to trim the cotton grips where they are preventing closure. a nice spring affect can be accomplished by adjusting the choke (how high the wraps are on the handles) of the cotton wraps. by moving the wraps up and down you can predetermine where the pliers will not close any further and where they stay open - their default position. this modification costs very little money. cotton grips last many years. rubber bands tend to dry out and break every 6 months or so - easy to replace.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Nice iea, and nice, strong pliers for steel work. I may add that there's the possibility to 'glue' such grips to the pliers ' steel handles by applying a bit plastidip/toolmagic, and beginning to wind the fabric, while the 'glue' is wet. And it MIGHT be possible to 'seal' the fabric grips with pd/tm as well, once they have reached the proper personal hand fit. I didn't test the latter yet, but had success with gluing high-pressure hose padding to too slim plier handles.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

I like this idea! I may have to try it with a couple of my pliers and I also like ZiLi's idea of the glue. Now I only wish I had my tools here.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:40 pm

This is brilliant mithrilweaver! So glad I went on a forum search for padding materials for my pliers. Rescued an old t-shirt from the donate bag and voila!

I used paper first aid tape to wrap mine for right now, as I can't find rubber bands (they went on the shopping list for later today once we're plowed out from Pax).

Figured this was worth bringing up the BB for all us newbies.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm

In the meanwhile, my preferred method is to use Vetrap (kinesiology) tape for cushioning plier handles where needed - and once the optimal shape is found, to affix it with a PlastiDip covering. If you don't mind to re-wrap if needed, the dipping can be also omitted. And note that some maillers cover even the plier hinge area with vetrap, co cover blister-prone rub spots...

I am VERY satisfied with that solution.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 pm

ZiLi wrote:
In the meanwhile, my preferred method is to use Vetrap (kinesiology) tape for cushioning plier handles where needed - and once the optimal shape is found, to affix it with a PlastiDip covering.

I am VERY satisfied with that solution.

I like that idea too. I actually got out my KT tape, thinking I'd wrap that around the t-shirt material. I may still do that.

I'd skip the PlastiDip for me though, part of my reasoning was to be somewhat absorbent (my palms get sweaty, eww) and I use a fair amount of lotion, especially in the winter, so my hands tend to be slippery.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1