Help Making Jump Rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Help Making Jump Rings
Posted on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Can someone help me regarding jump ring sizes? I have all the equipment to start making my own rings but am confused over how to get the proper sizes. I have mandrels in mm sizes. If I wind 18 gauge half hard sterling or silver filled wire on a 6.5mm mandrel will the finished rings be the same size as the 6.5mm awg rings I buy online? I know there is spring in the wire. I want to start out making some 18 ga. 3mm, 4.5mm and 6.5mm rings. Confused

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm

When working with a new wire I usually try to wind a small coil first to see what kind of springback I will get and make adjustments from there. Unless you are working with dead soft your mandrel size will rarely give you a cut ID of the same size.

If you are trying to get 6.5mm ID rings I would first try a 6 or 5.5mm mandrel and see what kind of springback you get. I have never personally worked with half hard sterling so I can't give you any more specific informaiton.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks Music Man!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:46 pm

I hope that it was understandable. I just wish I could give you more precise information. Hopefully someone will come along with actual experience to help you more accurately.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 am

No problem. There doesn't seem to be an exact formula. I will just try some different sizes and see what happens.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:56 am

mrembach wrote:
No problem. There doesn't seem to be an exact formula. I will just try some different sizes and see what happens.

It's a little bit of trial and error...
Expect a roughly 10%ish increase in Inner Diameter.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:24 am

With most weaves the springback added to the size of the mandrel used will not be a big deal. There are a few picky weaves, but as far as I know they state that in their descriptions.

Something I have found happening more and more... some ring makers are attempting to make the ID the same across all the different metals they offer by using different mandrel sizes. That way you can use different metals in the same piece and have it come out right. Sometimes you have to read the fine print to find this out. For me, I'm fine with what ring makers do as long as they provide actual measurements and tell you they are actual measurements. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1