Weave Tutorials
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

mithrilweaver wrote:
i think tutorials have a great many uses and this site would certainly benefit from having more. personally, i don't like to make tutorials for weaves and i almost never use them to figure out a weave unless the weave pic is really bad. i do think there is a benefit to figuring out weaves that you can't get from a tutorial and i'm not sure what to call it. i like to use the analogy of learning to play music. you can learn to play a song by looking at written music or you can learn to play a song by listening to the song. at first, listening to the song and trying to figure it out takes a really long time. as your ear starts to be able to pick up sounds, that information gets locked in and remembered. after this point, the speed of translation is very quick and the ear gets trained to hear information and not only sounds. i'm not sure if that makes sense...

No, it doesn't really. Because it's backwards: it is easier to learn a song by listening to it than by reading the music! One needs training to read music -- I can't sight-read -- and it helps to have perfect pitch, too. Whereas anybody who isn't tone-deaf can learn a song by listening to it.

Let's try for a different analogy.

Consider Origami. Anybody can fold paper, right? And for some Origami designs, you can figure them out just by looking at a picture of the finished work. For others, it's "how the heck did they do that?" Why is that so? It's because the folds are hidden by other folds, and you can't see what folds were made in what direction and what order.

A tutorial is like unfolding the Origami to show how it was made.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Phong wrote:
(And "jerkface" was directed at Lorraine, not at you!)

Yes, I realized that. Smile

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 41

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm

There you bullies!!! I did it! I submitted my first tutorial for Not Tao 5 and if you don't like it you can do better yourself. Mad

Just kidding. Very Happy I am always looking for input so tell me how I can do better next time. I have another in the works, but there are too many projects on the desk at this time.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 75

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I just took a look at it, and the text looks great. Smile The photos weren't showing up, but maybe that's because they haven't been processed by the server yet or some such.

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I did have some problems with the pictures not showing up on the Preview, but they did show at the bottom saying they were uploaded. If it continues to be a problem let me know and I will figure out what lame brain thing I did.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 313

Posted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 pm

They're really rolling in now! This is great. Four new ones and a few in the queue. Keep em coming! Smile

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:31 am

Yes! Please keep the tuts rolling. This is great!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:33 am

lorraine wrote:

Now look what you have started! Now Phong will have to start working just as hard as Narrina with all the new tutorials...Oh, Well I am sure he can cope. Very Happy

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 am

MusicMan wrote:
lorraine wrote:

Now look what you have started! Now Phong will have to start working just as hard as Narrina with all the new tutorials...Oh, Well I am sure he can cope. Very Happy

Phong can BITE ME! After he copes. Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I made one for Back to Work the other day. I think it is up now.

I am not the best at tuts, so I like to try some of the easier ones. Maybe I can work up to the harder ones that I have been able to figure out on my own.

Maybe I will do a tut for the Alternating HP 3-1 thing. I had a hard time figuring that one out, but now that I have, it is easy and one of my favs Smile

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

I submitted one for Alternating Half Persian 3 in 1 and for Vanilla the other day.

I may try to do a couple more soon Smile

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2