Weave Tutorials
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 106

Weave Tutorials
Posted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm || Last edited by lorraine on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm starting this tread because I have found that "If you make a tutorial, they will make the weave." Very Happy Seriously, there are lots and lots of weaves in the library that don't have a tutorial.

I'm asking everyone who has a few spare moments (okay hours) to make a tutorial for a weave, PLEASE DO!? It doesn't matter if it's an easy weave, a hard weave, or a weave somewhere in between. (Or as CMB mentions below, a weave that already has a tutorial.)

The first tutorial I ever wrote was Celtic Strap. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I'm serious... I must have spent days just trying to figure out how to type [actualfilename.jpg] where I wanted the picture to go in the article and THEN hours to figure out how to upload the picture. I AM COMPUTER-STUPID! There... I said it. Out loud. If you don't believe me, just ask DL for some "just how stupid IS Lorraine?" stories. He has many! Rolling Eyes

Also, they don't have to be weave tutorials. If you want to start out with an article about your personal experiences with maille, like this one by Zili: Strokes of Life, then do that!

I'm just saying, every little bit helps make this site better. The more people who participate in adding to the library, the better it becomes. And if you need help, ASK! If you ask in the forums, I might make fun of you because I'm an ass that way. But if you ask me in PM, I promise to only make fun of you behind your back. Probably... who knows... my promises are worthless. Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 61

Re: Weave Tutorials
Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 am

lorraine wrote:
I'm starting this tread because I have found that "If you make a tutorial, they will make the weave."

Agreed. I know that there are some people who look down on tutorials, because they pride themselves on figuring out a weave just by looking at it, that they feel it is part of the fun to do so... but they don't have to read the tutorials if they don't want to.

Some weaves, yes, they are easy to figure out. But other weaves... there are some weaves out there that I would love to do because they look so pretty, but for the life of me, I can't figure them out: Double Half Persian Spiral, Dragonback, Half Byzantine Barrel, Half Persian 3 in 1 Full Spiral, Half Persian 4 Interlock just to name a few.

lorraine wrote:
Also, they don't have to be weave tutorials. If you want to start out with an article about your personal experiences with maille, like this one by Zili: Strokes of Life, then do that!

But my personal experiences with maille haven't been dramatic like that!

lorraine wrote:
I'm just saying, every little bit helps make this site better. The more people who participate in adding to the library, the better it becomes. And if you need help, ASK! If you ask in the forums, I might make fun of you because I'm an ass that way. But if you ask me in PM, I promise to only make fun of you behind your back. Probably... who knows... my promises are worthless. Razz

I haven't noticed you making fun of people. Well, apart from DL. Maybe I'm just unobservant...

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 20

Re: Weave Tutorials
Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 am

kerravonsen wrote:
lorraine wrote:

I haven't noticed you making fun of people. Well, apart from DL. Maybe I'm just unobservant...

No, it's pretty much just me Coif LoL In fairness, I can dish it out just as well as take it Razz We have a special relationship... One wherin we yell at each other a lot.

She's right though, the site needs more tuts Smile And if you have any need of help, she's the lady to ask. Unless it's site/coding questions, in which case I might be the guy to ask. Very Happy

Also...
Since Lorraine re-submitted Dragonback for Fenrir, she should totally do the tut for that one Wink

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 313

Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 am

Even if you want to make a tutorial for a weave that already has one, but demonstrates using a different method, that helps too!

Needlenose Pliers

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 am

*adds Dragonback to the giant list*

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 378

Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 am

i think tutorials have a great many uses and this site would certainly benefit from having more. personally, i don't like to make tutorials for weaves and i almost never use them to figure out a weave unless the weave pic is really bad. i do think there is a benefit to figuring out weaves that you can't get from a tutorial and i'm not sure what to call it. i like to use the analogy of learning to play music. you can learn to play a song by looking at written music or you can learn to play a song by listening to the song. at first, listening to the song and trying to figure it out takes a really long time. as your ear starts to be able to pick up sounds, that information gets locked in and remembered. after this point, the speed of translation is very quick and the ear gets trained to hear information and not only sounds. i'm not sure if that makes sense...

i know some people take offense to the way i look at tutorials, but i'm really not intending to look down on anyone for making or using them. people learn in different ways and there are advantages on both sides. despite my personal opinions about tutorials, i really do think they benefit the community and there should be more. i'm just not the person to make them.

Submissions: 313

Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am

Too bad. I can't figure out:
Half Persian 4 Sheet 6 Crossover
Half Persian 4 Sheet 8 Crossover
Half Persian 3 Sheet 5 Crossover
etc.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 39

Posted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
i like to use the analogy of learning to play music. you can learn to play a song by looking at written music or you can learn to play a song by listening to the song. at first, listening to the song and trying to figure it out takes a really long time. as your ear starts to be able to pick up sounds, that information gets locked in and remembered. after this point, the speed of translation is very quick and the ear gets trained to hear information and not only sounds. i'm not sure if that makes sense...

I like this example except for one point. Unless you are singing the song there are very few people who can just pick up an instrument and without some rudimentary written instruction learn how to play. After the basics are learned as you said it gets easier to listen and learn.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Too bad. I can't figure out

those are all HP chains laying on the non traditional side if that helps any CB, also i imagine the top and bottom connects are the same possibly mirrored idk about that kind of stuff, but make a tut. id be curious about the OOO

I am disapoint, would like to play but have no access to a decent camera ATM

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 am

mithrilweaver wrote:
i think tutorials have a great many uses and this site would certainly benefit from having more. personally, i don't like to make tutorials for weaves and i almost never use them to figure out a weave unless the weave pic is really bad. i do think there is a benefit to figuring out weaves that you can't get from a tutorial and i'm not sure what to call it. i like to use the analogy of learning to play music. you can learn to play a song by looking at written music or you can learn to play a song by listening to the song. at first, listening to the song and trying to figure it out takes a really long time. as your ear starts to be able to pick up sounds, that information gets locked in and remembered. after this point, the speed of translation is very quick and the ear gets trained to hear information and not only sounds. i'm not sure if that makes sense...

i know some people take offense to the way i look at tutorials, but i'm really not intending to look down on anyone for making or using them. people learn in different ways and there are advantages on both sides. despite my personal opinions about tutorials, i really do think they benefit the community and there should be more. i'm just not the person to make them.

See, I like the analogy, to a point... But then it falls apart for me.

While you are right, being able to "hear and play" a song is great... But would you be able to figure out a generic guitar riff without first learning all your chords?

Without someone, somewhere, somehow, teaching you what finger position, makes what chord, makes what note, you're in the dark.

I look at maille more like this:

A finished piece, complex necklace, etc... Is a "song"... You could follow the exact example I laid out for it, or you could develop your own version by "listening".

A weave, is like a chord, a building block for a finished piece.

My finished "song" may contain many "chords" or just one or two over and over again.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 75

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:21 pm

lorraine wrote:

Hey jerkface. http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/dragonback.shtml

You know, until the site goes down again. <_<_>

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Just to add a different perspective, *using* a tutorial to make a weave might or might not help you learn the weave better; but *making* a tutorial absolutely does help you learn the weave better. So make a damn tutorial already! Everybody wins. Smile

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Phong wrote:
lorraine wrote:

Laughing Hey! Here's a novel idea... GIVE US YOUR TUTS!

Phong wrote:
Just to add a different perspective, *using* a tutorial to make a weave might or might not help you learn the weave better; but *making* a tutorial absolutely does help you learn the weave better. So make a damn tutorial already! Everybody wins. Smile

Exactly!

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Phong wrote:
lorraine wrote:

Thank you.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 pm

No problem. Smile

(And "jerkface" was directed at Lorraine, not at you!)

(Because Lorraine and I have that special sort of friendship)

(Helmet-wearing shortbus kind of special)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next