improvements to badge for weave submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 389

improvements to badge for weave submissions
Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i would like to make a request to have a weave submissions badge available on this site that gives more information. i would like to see the total number of weaves approved within "my m.a.i.l." or attached to the badge somehow. i'd like to see who has the most weaves submitted. what people think about this idea?

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Interesting idea, but personally not a fan of it. I think that with a number out there people would than look at it as a competition. (As some already do with the posting numbers) Narrina is already swamped with submissions and I don't want to sound like I don't want people to submit new weaves, but I see it as causing a possible "glut" of slight alterations to existing weaves that would/should be categorized as design changes rather than true new weaves.

Plus, DL already has a system where you get different color badges for different levels of participation. That should cover what you are talking about I believe.

Just my 2 rings worth.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

if admin is swamped with weave submissions, then i think more help is needed?

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 pm

I truthfully do not know if she is swamped or not, that is for her to comment on. I am just saying that if we did something like this it could cause a flood of submissions that would probably be more designs than actually new weaves. This would cause a problem for the weaves admin. I hope I stated it clearer this time.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

there is the "too many cooks..." line. I'm not sure why you want to know who has the most weaves. All the accepted weaves are in the library along with many disputed ones, and you can look at peoples member pages. I would really like the line between weave and pattern blurred a little and have weaves be judged on aesthetic appeal and functional application rather than that one looks kinda like another one so it doesn't go up. with a weave database as extensive as this one I feel like it can only lead to either accepting patterns into it or exploring the possibilities given by the extra space in looser ARs, I don't really see many people using AR 8 or 9 all that often so it might be better to give thought as to if a pattern is appealing and making a concerted effort to give it a name that is consistent with it's root concepts.

Submissions: 97

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 pm

There is a reason for why the weave submission badge has been left vague by comparison to the articles and gallery badges. As Lotos said in this thread, it is not a race. Weave submissions are not a competition; it's not about the quantity of weave submissions, it's about the quality of the weave submissions.

As to whether I'm swamped with weaves right now; it's not that I'm swamped with weave submissions (although there are a good few in the queue right now), but that, at the moment, I'm swamped with life outside of weaves.

As MM pointed out, with a number attached to the weave submission badges many people are likely to view it as a competition and flood the weave queue with every slight alteration they can think of with the majority of them having to be transferred/declined. Having such a flood of these kinds of submissions will only frustrate members when they are not accepted, and slow down the weave evaluation of potentially valid new weaves. Weaves tend to be volatile enough with many people, and if they are seen as a competition it is quite possible that that will just make it worse.

However, if you would like to display that information yourself, there is always the MAIL Code which you can add to your signature and it has an option for weave submissions.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 pm

thanks for the replies. i can see that i'm in the minority on this one. as a rebuttal, i love competition and i think as long as people are respectful, there's no problem with it. i do see competition adding to more people making and submitting weaves - which in my mind is a good thing. why would we want to keep that number low.

narrina - with all respect, i think the reason people are submitting large numbers of weaves is because we don't know what will end up being accepted. we post everything we make, because who knows if we might get lucky. there is no criteria that can be followed as to what will be accepted and what will not. 50% of the weaves i submit are accepted and i still haven't been able to figure out what your weave submission criteria is. this gives the illusion that the acceptance is subjective - even though it is not and i know you put a lot of thought into it. this ends up making people angry when their weave is not accepted and you end up having to respond to all that. competition exists already and you can't stop it. i don't think posting a number is going to increase it that much. but, i do think posting your weave submission criteria would lessen the amount of work you do dramatically.

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 pm

the thing is the criteria is what is currently classed as a weave is not a new weave. which is a lot to take in for anyone whether they have the time or not. the problem is not the transparency of the criteria but rather exclusivity of it IMO.

to look at this another way,,why not drop the names of the weave submitter all together and have it understood that although the rights to the photo taken remain the property of the submitter, the idea and name of the weave become the property of the international community at large. this would depersonalize such a sensitive issue.

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:12 pm

that gets rid of some of the fun for me, but i appreciate the spirit. i don't see weaves as "mine" when i submit them. the knowledge is for everyone and is owned by no one. that's why i post things here - i want to inspire people and be inspired. it's fun for me to think about the weaves i've submitted - for me it's like getting something published in academia - i created something original, but it's for everyone to use. i don't own the knowledge, but i do want credit for my part in bringing into the world. and since this is the largest chainmaille weave database with over 1200 weaves - getting something published here is quite an accomplishment that i think should be recognized. a lot of people here don't want weave submitters to get heated about what weaves make it into the database, but they play a part in creating an environment in which makes it so. you can't change what is - this site is the best. i think we should all start accepting this and working within that framework instead of "wanting people to be different" or "holding back competition."

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:34 pm

sure it's nice fun to build up your My M.A.I.L. but we everyone can submit gallery images under a less stringent criteria to build that up. Also having the weaves you have submitted on there is really just an unnecessary copy of what is in the weave library already. I'm more of the mind that the weaves I've come across were probably made by someone before me and were just not documented here. The idea behind submitting weaves for me is just to share undocumented information, and I don't really care if I get a pat on the back for it. I just want someone else to find it and have the fun of making it themselves.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:58 pm

I see it only as the fact to HAVE (an) approved weave(s) at all, the number does not more matter much, in my opinion - the argumentation behind was already told previously, also in this thread. So we could maybe think about the basic badge images/shapes (also for articles and Gallery items, but especially about the weaves one that isn't overly impressive), but I see no cause to give e.g. broze, silver and gold WEAVE submission badges. That said, I'm not against them, but also don't ask for.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 574

Posted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:02 pm

djgm wrote:
I don't really see many people using AR 8 or 9 all that often so it might be better to give thought as to if a pattern is appealing and making a concerted effort to give it a name that is consistent with it's root concepts.

You mean like 95% of what I've been submitting lately? Laughing

Anyways, if a number were tied to submitter, a few of our founding members (lorenzo, sakredchao, and myself) would have inflated numbers due to us having had to resubmit every common weave that already existed when the site went automated. Many of them were on my original website when it was on angelfire (I've gradually been replacing the images with better quality representations), along with several that lorenzo and chao added. I'm only speaking of the more common and original ones that had been around for ages, or longer than M.A.I.L. existed.

I've since had a bunch of entries under my account switched over to the antiquity account.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
djgm wrote:
I don't really see many people using AR 8 or 9 all that often so it might be better to give thought as to if a pattern is appealing and making a concerted effort to give it a name that is consistent with it's root concepts.

You mean like 95% of what I've been submitting lately? Laughing

I was looking at those three that just went up for a double take thinking there was a glitch that was repeating things Laughing

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 am

Late to the discussion... Sorry, I've been working long the past few days... Details to follow in a chat room post, it's neat.

BUT...

I had to make an arbitrary decision on the Weave badge when I created them...
Initially I had three Weave badges as well, but decided against it when I recalled some conversations and arguments that have cropped up in the past.

The badges DO foster some competition... An urge to get Silver or Gold... And that's great.
More articles, more gallery images showing off weave examples.
Encouraging people to submit dozens of them is not an issue.

Weaves, on the other hand...

A single "I submitted a weave" badge is great, it encourages User X to submit that idea they had that may or may not be new.
A "I submitted X weaves" badge, however, encourages User Y to submit a dozen weaves to hit that next level.
You can tell me "Oh, that won't happen, I won't do it." and maybe you won't... But I can guarantee you that someone will. And if someone will, statistically, multiple people will.... And snowball.

As I said before, it's not a race, and shouldn't be treated as such... I get that you want to show off how many submissions you have in section X (Weaves/Gallery/Articles) but really, if anyone is actually curious, they can check your profile. Otherwise it is unwanted information, and needless SQL queries.

My 2c

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1