**Entries for Theme Contest 23 - Myth and Legend**
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 580

Posted on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

BrassButtons wrote:
I actually have to question how informative it really is--I've sent a pm to Catweazle asking where he got the information, since I've not come across those claims in my (albeit minimal) study of Egyptian mythology. That said, it's pretty cool info if it does turn out to be accurate. Mythology is fun Very Happy

Right. This is why people are always encouraged to do their own research.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 61

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
BrassButtons wrote:
I actually have to question how informative it really is--I've sent a pm to Catweazle asking where he got the information, since I've not come across those claims in my (albeit minimal) study of Egyptian mythology. That said, it's pretty cool info if it does turn out to be accurate. Mythology is fun Very Happy

Right. This is why people are always encouraged to do their own research.

Indeed. The only thing I have been able to confirm in that information is that Horus was the son of Osirus and Isis. The entry on Horus in The British Museum Dictionary of Ancient Egypt is an overview, true, but it does not mention anything about a star in the east, three wise men, teaching, baptism, twelve disciples, betrayal, crucifiction, or rising from the dead after three days. Instead it mentions things such as his contention with Seth for the throne of Egypt, his eye being put out by Seth and then healed by Hathor (and thus the Eye-of-Horus being a sign of wholeness), that he is a sky-god and his eyes represent the sun and moon. Now, there may be some versions of the Horus myth that have those things which Catweasle described, but they appear to be so minor that they weren't mentioned in a book put out by the British Museum, who should presumably know what they are talking about.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 am

BrassButtons wrote:
I liked it better when the info was in the post (the first two paragraphs of what's on the page linked to). Part of this contest, for me at least, is to learn about the myth and legend of the entry presented. The information didn't seem to be offensive, just informative. Thanks for providing that link, Catweazle.

This information is not accurate and I've studied Egyption, Greek, Roman and Hindu mythologies. I know it isn't true about Krnsa (accurate Hindu spelling) and so have to question the other figures listed also.

Otherwise, I really like the inlay work.

Callie97

Every life needs 9 cats

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 am

the minister at my church said something to effect of horus and jesus being paralleled once and i would take him on his word as he is a knowledgeable man who knows Aramaic and such, I think the fairy tale comment might get some hackles up though. he gave a whole sermon a few weeks ago discussing the parallels in ancient texts but did not go so far as to discount any of the widely held beliefs

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:53 am

There are some points between Horus and Jesus that are true, but for the most part it's like comparing JKF and Lincoln. You can find similarities between lots of folktales and myths and religions. Christianity borrowed many festival days from the pagans to make it easier to convert them. Christmas and Easter are 2 big ones. Romans and Greeks borrowed from each other. Mythos and religions are really fastenating to study.

Here is a website on where this question of whether the story of Jesus was copied from Horus is discussed: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3054/was-jesus-copied-from-the-egyptian-god-horus

Callie97

Every life needs 9 cats

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 am

really when my minister was discussing parallels between faiths and parallels in the bible he addressed that many people would use these common threads as evidence of "copy cats" but in the end his message was that there is no evidence against these events even if they are word for word the same. In fact he said the common threads are the evidence of the divine at work. call me naive but i like to believe.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 am

Catweazle wrote:
My original post with the picture and background information of Horus (Curriculum Vitae of Hours) has been censored by DL. He did this to keep the peace in this forum. He feared that some people could be offended by the additional information. So he had the best intentions for this forum.

Well, ... read it, read it again, think about it, read it again, think about it again. If you have the need to make a comment about it, send me a pm or an email.
Please do not use this thread for it.

DL is not the only one who would like to keep the peace around here. He was just the one who got here first and made a decision. A description of your entry and the story/myth/legend behind it would have been entirely appropriate, in my opinion. It should have stopped there, but it didn't. Lecturing others about religion is not okay. Questioning the validity of others' entries in the contest thread is against the rules of the contest. Ignoring an admin's decision about your post and reposting it anyway is not okay. I had hoped that everyone would be an adult about this and not turn a simple theme contest into a discussion about whether or not stories/lore/myths/legends are factual or not... There are sites and places where you can discuss this to your heart's content. This ain't it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am

sorry guys, i feel somewhat responsible for egging the Christ fact or fiction debate on from the get go, I'll keep my ambiguous opinions to myself now.

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 am

Sorry if I offended anyone. I find comparison between different beliefs very interesting and the similarities show how the same event was viewed by different people. I sometimes get carried away. Might also add that in my day job I'm a QA person and it kinda slips into my private life.

I really love the inlay of Horus and was not my intent to criticize the work.

Callie97

Every life needs 9 cats

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 am

lorraine wrote:
Ignoring an admin's decision about your post and reposting it anyway is not okay. I had hoped that everyone would be an adult about this and not turn a simple theme contest into a discussion about whether or not stories/lore/myths/legends are factual or not... There are sites and places where you can discuss this to your heart's content. This ain't it.

I should clarify this... Catweazle did contact me, and request to be allowed to edit an offsite link in, which I gave him permission for.
That one is all on me.

I did, however, request that the posting of this link not give me a headache, which the last page of this thread clearly has. Coif LoL

Guys, please, we all have our own beliefs and opinions, and there are places and times for discussions regarding them. This is not one of them. Period.

This includes, but is not limited to:
Discussions regarding what is or isn't Mythology. That is for the voters to decide.
Discussions regarding someone else's view of mythology.
Discussions regarding the (dis)agreeable content (in your eyes) of a submission. -- THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT -- I don't care if you Disagree OR Agree with someone's views... Throwing your weight behind them publically, is just as bad as calling them out on it.

Basically: Play nice, be the change you want to see in the world, choose not to be offended, and endless other cliché's... NO MORE HEADACHES FOR DL PLEASE! Coif LoL

There's a lot of people at fault for a lot of things in the past dozen or so posts, and I'm not going to call any of you out on it, but please... It ends here.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:22 am

I love this site. And I love the discussions that go on here.
I think folks here go off on some of these tangents because we touch on things we are passionate about.

I, just like the rest of you, am passionate about maille.
I love the way we all use it in our personal lives. Not just as a hobby.

The entries in this theme inspire me into lots of other directions.

Ya'll are some awesome people!

Always remember: A sucking chest wound is the Lord's way of telling you to slow down.

Posted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 am

Sea Serpent!

European 4-in-1 inlay: 106 columns x 25 rows = 2650 rings.
Anodized Aluminium (sky blue, royal blue, green, mint, seafoam) and Enamelled Copper (dark green, green, Christmas Green, mint, seafoam); ID=3.97mm WD=1.0mm AR=3.97

The eye is actually a brass ring, but it didn't catch the light very well.

Submissions: 580

Posted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Nice inlay. Excellent use of colour. Smile

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm

kerravonsen wrote:
The eye is actually a brass ring, but it didn't catch the light very well.

I've always had a soft spot for sea serpents, ever since my grandmother had a set of loch ness monster figures in her living room Coif LoL

Very nice inlay!
Good choice on the eye! It catches enough Smile

Posted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Nice inlay. Excellent use of colour. Smile

Thank you! I had fun doing all the different greens.

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next