SO is "THE VOTE" over?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 93

SO is "THE VOTE" over?
Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

What are we doing, guys? Do we scrag the adult stuff, based on the current poll? Do we re-poll? Do we ignore the poll and leave things as-is?

Let me know, and I shall implement...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 pm

i say re-poll, if that's what you guys decide i set up a very neutral poll

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

Submissions: 83

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:54 am

I'm gonna actually not say anything pertaining to this...
except... lol
I think (despite having not seen the gallery myself, just from hearing what others have said) that since alot of the pictures are actually not that containing 'nudity', perhaps we could place those in thier respected sections of the gallery, and rid of the rest.
A new poll would be neat, but... I think we'd come up with pretty much the same results...
I'd really like to see this resolved...seeing as how long it's been going on..

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:24 pm

As much as I'd like to see this thing polled properly, leaving this wound open for much longer will prolongate problems (for instance the discussion that usually degrades into bickering).

Finish it, re-do it... just do it quickly.

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:32 pm

All right, effective immediately, I'm removing adult access from everyone but M.A.I.L. web and board coders and Raz, our lovely gallery administrator. This is the first stage in removing the content, but I haven't heard back from everyone, so I'm not going to take the permanent steps yet....

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:34 pm

i say we do not re-poll. it would be the second botched poll we have had on this same topic. most of the gallery images (about 1/2-2/3) can be re-posted, except davals.. and people can see daval's work on TRL's BRG.

this is important.. do -not- just move the images. that would be considered republishing .. and by our own rules we must get their permission. or, that is my interpretation of our rules. (see the charter.. it contains a sopy/pasted quote from MAIL policy stated elsewhere on the site.)

we could have a quick "repoll?" vote here in the admin room if people demand it, and move on. the members are probably sick of the crap, and consider us as incompetant as the US government.. and no one wants that.

if we are moving on and going with removal, then the next step, before contacting people and moving their images, is to decide what is acceptable material and not acceptable.. do we go with public exposure laws?

in arcata, california women can go topless. what laws do we go with? irans'? the vote was the easy part folks, this is the tricky part.

kim

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:06 pm

Standards:

I say, if we need a standard, we use US FCC regulations for TV. They're a bunch of feckless prudes, so if it could get by them it should be acceptable to everyone.

To wit:
No exposed genital organs, and in the case of females, no exposed nipples and no more than 1/3 of the areolae.

I think that's simple enough for everyone...

Republishing:

Kim, are you sure changing where the link comes from is republishing? If I'm the editor of a magazine, and I get permission to publish a story, I don't have to ask the author what page the story can appear on. I think the same standard would apply here.

Generally speaking, re-publishing means transferring to some medium which is different from the one originally used.

Also note that changing the category does not actually move the picture or note in any physical sense at all. The categories are only a way for us to index the information which is already published. Anyone could type the url of a picture directly into a browser to see any of our pictures. THAT is the extent of our publication of the pictures in a legal sense...

George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 45

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:44 pm

Hm, sounds like the "republishing" word could use some further definition. I'm glad that came up, because I got confused when I read that in the charter in the other thread (one thing I forgot until this moment). I would lean more toward Blaise's definition (not bad to move it to a diff section on the same web area, but do need permission if we wanted to include a pic in a new pamphlet, etc). But that should get taken up in the other thread on the charter (it's important, too, because what if I move an article to a new subcategory... is that republishing...?).

Aside from the pics that show body parts, the only other pic that probably shouldn't go into a public gallery is the one of the decorated... erm, smoking device.

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:20 pm

I say, a bottle is a bottle, and let people draw their own inferences!

George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:01 pm

sakredchao,

my ineptitude comes from 100% pure good old fashioned canadian government ineptidations(is that even a word?) Very Happy

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:10 am

i guess my concern was that the adult pictures were published under the premise that that part of the site was protected in some way.. almost seperate..

i don't think that catagorizing things is bad.. but to move something from private to public.. maybe moreso that changing "jewelry" to "necklaces"

i don't really care.. i'm just trying to vocalize from the standpoint of the stickler. @$$&*%^'s advocate.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:43 am

Gotcha. It's a good point.

I guess maybe we should standardize the rules for content, then contact the original posters...

George Bernard Shaw

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1