Site Work Requests
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 93

Site Work Requests
Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:41 pm || Last edited by Blaise on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 33 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey all,

This post is an attempt to gather all M.A.I.L. website change requests into a single common database, where everyone can see what's on the list. It's my hope that this will reduce multiple requests for the same thing, and keep me from letting anything slip through the cracks!

Please note:

* This is not for problem reports, but for requests to change the way the site looks/works.
    * All requests will be answered, but sometimes the answer is no Wink
    * This list will only deal with website requests, not discussion board requests, that's Woody's bailiwick.
    * This list will be periodically updated with the requests made in this thread. Please don't jump on me if it takes a while to add your request.

The List:

1) Allow Admins to edit requests without having to accept them. Done

2) Finer Subcategories in Weave articles done.

3) Admin submission approval thumbnails Done

4) Admin submission checkbox "all at once" approval Done.

5) Admins can PM submitters from the Admin Tools areaDone

-) ???

-

Submissions: 10

Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:00 pm

perhaps a pm message available in a person's profile and gallery... it's kinda a pain to write down or copy/paste a name into the pm area when you want to speak with a person about their submission or something in their profile...
Done

Submissions: 27

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:52 am

Better search facility for members. So far to find a members details you have to click on the name link in the member list, then take wild stabs through the numbers to try and find the letter you're looking for. Check

Keep Gallery Submission requests in date order - at the moment I don't know what on earth they do - it's not alphabetical, nor chronological, so I get confused!Check

Add an option in My MAIL to have the main menu as a frame - even when the images are cached, every time you open a new page, the menu has to do its thing before the rest of the page gets loaded.
This won't happen any time soon, the code is a nightmare, and every page of the entire site would have to be rewritten...

Fix the Discussion Board links on the main page - they used to go red if there were new posts, now they do nothing. (sorry if this is a Board thingy)Check

New Gallery section - Gatherings. For pictures of gatherings. Check

New Gallery Subsections - In Jewellery have neck wear, wrist wear, ear wear, etc. Check

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Submissions: 82

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:15 am

well, i started thinking about things...
then I decided.. wait. MAIL is great already Smile

I think the gallery division would be the 'priority' thing to address (i gave it quotations, as well, IMHO, it's needs to be addressed first, to make things available for everyone [and not take 15 mins to load])

Other than that, I have nothing to complain about Laughing
Actually wait! Someone mentioned adding a 'hit' counter, meaning the amount of times the main page is accessed. I think it'd be neat to have, just to see the numbers out of spite Smile

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 23

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:02 pm

The main problem I have here is the arranging of the articles under Weaves. As I see it there?s no real order there. We should group the same weave together like so:

Weaves:
European Weaves:
European 4 in 1 Tutorial - Submitted by David_Austin. 9-4-2002
Speedweaving European 4-1 Instructions - Submitted by Bative. 10-9-2003
European 4-in-1 Chain Mail - Submitted by laurad. 17-3-2003
European 4-1 Circular Expansion - Submitted by wasted_druid. 9-4-2002
Constructing An Expanding Ring Circle Using European 4-1 - Submitted by Aderamelech. 8-1-2003
European 4 in 1: 45 Degree Seam - Submitted by David_Austin. 16-12-2002
European 4 in 1: Armpit Seam - Submitted by David_Austin. 31-3-2002

I think you got the point. It will make finding a specific article a lot easier. Another thing that might be handy is adding another subcategory of 4in1, 6in1 etc. so that 4in1 boxchain and such will be attached to their family of weaves.
Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Eli I
Check

It's not the tool, it's how you use it.
Exchange knowledge, not opinions.

Posted on Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:45 pm

Also make the ?View posts by X on the M.A.I.L board? work properly. Though it does give something it?s just the search option, and the search results for post by X

Cheers, Eli I
Turns out this is a board problem, not a site problem. I'll put it on the board todo list...

Posted on Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:11 am

I'm finding that it can be very easy to accidentally delete a submission. Would it be possible to have a confirmation of delete for the admins, so in case a mouse slip is made, things don't get stuffed up.Check

Also, perhaps revamping the administration part for more user-friendliness.

* Having thumbnails on the My MAIL Page, or failing that, a new Administration Page with the thumbnails. Check
* Having checkboxes and one submit approval button instead of all the approval linksCheck
* Having a comments field in addition to the Recommend Removal link.Check

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Posted on Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:31 pm

As I already said I would like to see the gender of a person in the sidebar near his post. It very confusing sometimes that you don't know the gender of a person, especially when they use Nicknames and not real names. For example the see-through topic right now on the Knitting Circle. Half of the posters are female, but I have to read all of the reply before I figure it out. And sometimes it's completely impossible to tell the gender, making understanding the post pretty tricky.

Cheers, Eli I
This is a board, not site-related change.

Submissions: 18

Posted on Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:07 pm

what about a "Testing" thread...that way one could test out their post and see if that picture is going to show! Laughing Ive seen 'em on other forums too, but never felt the need to use 'em 'till I couldn't get my pic up.
just a thought.This is a board, not site-related change.

OOH OOH... and how about a dificulty ranking system for weaves?
you know, just a note on the difficulty of a given weave?
ie.
e 4:1 = beginner
inverted round = aprentice weaver
Dragonscale = weaver
Voodoo = Master weaver

you know that kinda thing.. though maybe not using the same titles as the member rating.
Good idea, but not really a change to the website. Why don't you write up an article?

Too much confusion! I'm going metric

Posted on Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:41 pm

Cipher, you can click "Preview" if you want to know how a post will look. It's just near the "Submit" button.
Nice idea about the ranking.

Cheers, Eli I

Submissions: 14

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:49 am

Blaise, if ya wannit, I have an image gallery pagination script in PHP you can use..

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:23 am

That sounds great, but unfortunately, all the non-board functions of the site are in PERL. I will get it done eventually, I just have to get the actual non-functional stuff fixed first, probly next week sometime...

On the other hand, if you're a PHP guy, I could certainly use you, as Woody's been gone for a couple of months, the board is getting a bit creaky in spots, and i'm lost when it comes to PHP....

Would you like to be a super-god admin? Wink

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 14

Posted on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:31 am

What needs dood? Er.. Dud? Umm.. Wink

PM me

Posted on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:09 pm

Have the ability to PM submitters from the Admin Tools area, rather than having to navigate to Boards, then PM, then type in their username. Check

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

Posted on Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:30 am

When a user requests to delete an submission, have a link to the picture, rather than just the text of the filename, making it easier to see what's going.

(yes, I know that everyone has a right to have their things removed, but I still like to know what's going out as well as in!)
check.

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next