Archimedes (was: Yet Another "What is this weave?"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 61

Archimedes (was: Yet Another "What is this weave?"
Posted on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 pm || Last edited by kerravonsen on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was messing about with Shaggy Loops while trying to figure out how to make Abstain, and I ended up with this odd-looking spiral (that's the bottom sample). Then I did it again in three colours of AA to try to make the structure clearer (that's the top sample).

Top sample: Anodized Aluminium (dark blue, mid-blue, light blue) ID=4.76 WD=1.2 AR=3.97.
Bottom sample: Brass (gold) ID=4.6 WD=1.2 AR=3.83.

With the AA sample, the dark blue links are a 2 in 1 Chain, the mid-blue are "shaggy loop" loops, but rather than having a loop on each side of the chain, there is a loop on only one side, and the loops are arranged in a spiral going down the chain. The light blue links go through a mid-blue link, then through a dark-blue link, around the eye, then through the next dark-blue link, and through the corresponding mid-blue link.

I can't be sure whether or not it is Abstain (because I still haven't figured out how to make it) but it doesn't look like the sample of Abstain in the database, so it probably isn't. Does anyone know what weave it actually is?

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 am || Last edited by djgm on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:33 am; edited 2 times in total

im gonna hazard a guess it is not in the library,,looks like a fun afternoon though. also looks like there is some similarity to candy cane cord. really there is a lot going on there, I'm not fathoming it.

Posted on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 am

A few more samples of this unknown weave:

• Top: Enamelled Copper (red) ID=4.76mm WD=1.29mm AR of 3.69
  • Middle: Stainless Steel + Anodized Niobium ID=3.5mm WD=0.8mm AR of 4.38
  • Bottom: Bright Aluminium ID=3.97mm WD=1.2mm AR of 3.31

As you can see, with an AR of 3.31 it twists a lot, like a corkscrew, while with an AR of 4.38, the links tend to slip around instead of locking in a spiral.

I've looked through the spiral chains in the database, but I can't find a matching one. Could this be a new weave, or am I missing something?

Posted on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:53 am

djgm wrote:
im gonna hazard a guess it is not in the library,,looks like a fun afternoon though. also looks like there is some similarity to candy cane cord. really there is a lot going on there, I'm not fathoming it.

More asymmetry than Candy Cane Cord, though. I think?

It's simpler to make than it looks. I do it in three passes.

• First, make a 2 in 1 Chain as long as you want. In the blue AA sample, they are the dark blue rings.
  • Second, pretend you are making Shaggy Loops but with only half the loops. Basically, put in a shaggy-loop link on the top side of the chain, turn the chain a quarter turn away from you, and put a shaggy-loop link on the top side of the next loop in the chain... repeat. These are the mid-blue links in the blue AA sample.
  • Third pass, start at the end where you first added the shaggy loops. Put a link through the first shaggy loop, through the chain-link which is parallel to it, around the eye into the next chain-link along, and through the shaggy-loop which is parallel to that chain-link. In the blue AA sample, these are the light blue rings.

Does that make it clearer?

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:55 am

What it reminds me of is 3/4 Persian. Try comparing it to those two and see what you find.

Submission Help?
Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:10 am

I decided to submit this as a weave. Here's my submission:

Archimedes
(AKA Half Shaggy Spiral)

This is what happens when one is playing around with Shaggy Loops while trying to figure out how to make Abstain, and end up with something completely different. I called it Archimedes after the famous Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer; among other things, he invented the first screw pump, which is known as Archimedes' Screw.

The construction of this weave is as follows:

• First, make a 2 in 1 Chain. In the blue AA sample, they are the dark blue rings.
  • Second, pretend you are making Shaggy Loops but with only half the loops. Basically, put in a shaggy-loop link on the top side of the chain, turn the chain a quarter turn away from you, and put a shaggy-loop link on the top side of the next loop in the chain... repeat. This gives you a spiral around the chain, made of shaggy loops. These are the mid-blue links in the blue AA sample.
  • Third pass, start at the end where you first added the shaggy loops. Put a link through the first shaggy loop, through the chain-link which is parallel to it, around the eye into the next chain-link along, and through the shaggy-loop which is parallel to that chain-link. This locks the spiral rather than having it flop around. In the blue AA sample, these are the light blue rings.

This weave is AR sensitive, so I took the effort of measuring my samples, rather than relying solely on the Mandrel ID.

• Top: Anodized Aluminium (dark blue, blue, light blue) Mandrel ID=4.76mm WD=1.2mm Mandrel AR of 3.97; Measured ID=4.9mm, measured WD=1.2mm, measured AR of 4.08.
  • Middle: Brass (gold) ID=4.5mm WD=1.2mm AR of 3.75. These rings aren't completely uniform - the measured ID varies from 4.3mm to 4.5mm, so I'll call it 4.4mm. Measured WD=1.2mm. Measured AR of 3.67.
  • Bottom: Bright Aluminium ID=3.97mm WD=1.2mm AR of 3.31. Measured ID=4.0mm, Measured WD=1.2mm, Measured AR of 3.33.

The top sample is on the high side of ARs that work for this; sometimes the links slip out from where they should be.
The bottom sample is on the low side of ARs that work for this; as you can see, the spiral is very bunched up, and it sometimes locks up.

One of the problems with this submission, according to Our Esteemed Weaves Admin, is that the description is more of a tutorial than a description of the structure. But I don't really know how to describe it apart from describing how to make it.

Please, help me?

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:32 am

i get it now i think, is it abstain with the middle strand not connected?

so not Archimedes from sword and the stone eh? i love that sirly chap he was a hoot. Wink

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 am

djgm wrote:
i get it now i think, is it abstain with the middle strand not connected?

The middle strand not connected AND the second strand not connected. Instead, the second group of links is half-connected to the first strand, in the manner of shaggy loops. However unlike shaggy loops, these links aren't attached on both sides of the 1-1-1 chain; they spiral down one side of it. This is what makes the weave more asymmetrical, since the second group pulls the shape of the chain into something more like a corkscrew.

In other words, where Abstain has three 1-1-1 chains, Archimedes has only one.

Quote:
so not Archimedes from sword and the stone eh? i love that sirly chap he was a hoot. Wink

Rolling Eyes

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:43 am || Last edited by djgm on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

there is something else going on there though,,are you compensating for the non spiraling stacked rows buy braking the pattern and connecting another link every turn?

nvm now i see it

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:46 am

djgm wrote:
there is something else going on there though,,are you compensating for the non spiraling stacked rows buy braking the pattern and connecting another link every turn?

I'm not following you. Confused

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 am || Last edited by djgm on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

djgm wrote:
nvm now i see it

I get the AKA now too, it's half a shaggy loops locked into a spiral, nicely done Smile

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 am

Looks like our posts crossed!

Posted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:55 am

it happens, i edit alot, other wise i might be at 9000 posts by now.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:36 am

Here is my suggestion for shortening the description of your weave submission.

This weave is similar to Abstain with a 1-1-1 chain as the center, rings added Shaggy Loops-style down the side, and then rings added around the eye of the center chain and the shaggy ring to lock down the spiral. However, the added rings in Archimedes are not connected spiraling 1-1-1 chains as they are in Abstain.

Archimedes can also be seen as a spiral version of Daisy Chain 0 with an extra set of rings spiraling around the base chain in a Shaggy Loops manner.

The samples in the picture are as follows.
Top: three shades of blue AA with a measured AR of 4.1.
Middle: brass with a measured AR of 3.7
Bottom: BA with a measured AR of 3.3.

Forum thread with more information.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:45 am

Thanks, lorraine!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next