Username
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 13

Username
Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:14 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

This morning, while sitting on the bus on my way to my first day of college, a thought struck me in the back of my sleepy head: Usernames!

So everyone here have a username. But what does your tag really mean? Is it something personal that have a significant meaning to define who you are?

I personally created my name in the good old days when YouTube was in its infancy and was up and coming on the Internet. Everything I typed in, upon creating the username, just looked... Wrong. It didn't look as though I wanted it to look. It didn't define me. Now, I have nothing to do with Wifi Protected Access (WPA), or anything with firewalls to do at all but it was merely a last attempt at creating something unique that someone (hopefully) would remember. While I'm certain it didn't do that back then, I'm unsure as to whether or not it can still be remembered in the minds of people that like what I do. Now YouTube has changed drastically, and sadly, to the worse and most people use their real name as their username there. Although that is the case, the web address I still use to date is /wpa09. To continue the fashion of creating something noteworthy I always use that username for everything in hope of it being remembered. Now all my old videos have been removed and new ones will come when they come. It means a lot to me because I will always remember when I cast of the shackles and started expressing creativity.

That is my story. What's yours?

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:28 pm

my username stands for (dungeon journey games master) jk it's just the four names i got from my parents. really the only name I was miffed as to it's origin lately was yours Wp but now it's all too clear. Smile

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 am

mine is a short version of my name not very adventurous Rolling Eyes

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Back in college, I dated a guy who wanted me to make a character to play with him in Everquest. I had no idea what to name my char (or even if I'd like the game), but I thought I'd make up something unique. I love turtles, and he usually went by Ash (from the Evil Dead movies). I came up with Ash + Turtle which turned into Ashenturtle.

So he got me hooked on gaming, then asked me to marry him Smile I've used the name ever since Smile

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Callie was the name of my first calico kitten and she was born in 1997. I started using callie97 as it met most of the criteria and very seldom was taken. She past away a couple of years ago and I use it now in her memory. We now have Callie2. Every 'cat' house needs a calico!

1 llama, 2 alpacas, 3 goats, 4 cats, 5 dogs and a mess of shetland sheep! Yep, we have an interesting mix of critters, especially when we had a flock of exotic chickens. Laughing

Callie97

Every life needs 9 cats

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:23 pm

I've gone through a number of names in my gaming career, dating back to about 1998, but while they all meant something at the time, none was really unique. I'd always eventually run into someone else using the same name. Unacceptable.

So I took my physics degree, and my love of lasers and light, and came up with Lux, the SI unit for illuminance. Unfortunately, almost any 3-letter combination will be taken somewhere. I eventually, during one night of drinking and gaming, defended my state of inebriation by saying I was still lucid....ish.

I went by Lucidish Lux for awhile, and have since shortened it to Lucidish. I still enjoy a good wine, scotch, or craft beer on occasion, but don't drink and game as much anymore. However, the name has stuck, and never been in use by anyone else yet.

As it turns out, Lucid has an etymological root the same as Lux. They're both rooted in the latin "luc" meaning "light" so I haven't strayed too far from my original aim with Lux.

My avatar is an experiment I concocted in college shining a laser through an evacuated Erlenmeyer flask. The point is that you can see the laser reflect off the air on both sides of the flask, but you don't see the beam in the flask itself as there's almost no air in there. This is the same phenomenon (Rayleigh scattering) that is primarily responsible for making the sky blue, and sunsets a rainbow of colors.

-Lucidish

Closing rings since 2013-07-27

A jack of all trades, master of none, often times better than a master of one.

Maille Code V2.0 T4.2 R4.1 En.o Fper MFe.s W$ C$ G0.8-2.0 I3.2-9.5 N8.8 Pjt Djt X0 S13 Hn

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 pm

While I have found my screen name here is not entirely unique, it is a distillation of at least a couple of facets of me and my interests.

I have long held a fascination with the power inherent in a good thunderstorm, primarily, but also nature in general. The forces this planet is capable of generating are very impressive to me. Thus, the elements.

Dragons have been an interest of mine since around 1995-96. The year I spent at college introduced me to RPGs and CCGs (AD&D and M:TG, specifically) and somewhere along the line I became focused on dragons. I also was born in a Year of the Dragon in the Chinese zodiac.

Elemental Dragon (or ElementalDragon) was kind of the final stage in a series of screen names that evolved from that year at college.

I actually have a separate screen name (and variations) I tend to use for game accounts.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

I wasn't as creative as some of you when creating a username. Being a band nerd and enjoying all different types of music, the most exotic being Indonesian Gamalon, it seemed to describe me It also helped that it wasn't taken. Razz

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 61

Posted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 pm

I can't remember exactly when I started using kerravonsen (or Kerr Avonsen)... it might have been when I joined LiveJournal in 2003, or it might have been earlier than that. My main fandom at that time was Blake's 7, and my favourite character was Kerr Avon. But of course "Kerr Avon" wasn't at all a unique username, there were plenty of them around. But it also happens that my first name starts with K and my last name starts with A... and my last name ends with "sen". So to make it more mine, I put the "sen" at the end, to make it Kerr Avonsen.

And even though it's been ten years, it is still unique.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 am

that's why i like to use my given name online, no one will ever give you a hard time for your parents being unoriginal. it helps the odds the more names you have though, I never like to put numbers afterwards, I would probly have to use my bank pin just to remember it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:18 am

My name is Lorraine and I mis-typed it when I joined MAIL (my first forum EVAH!). Now I can't change it to uppercase-L-Lorraine...

I screw up a lot...

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 am

lorraine wrote:
My name is Lorraine and I mis-typed it when I joined MAIL (my first forum EVAH!). Now I can't change it to uppercase-L-Lorraine...

I screw up a lot...

Hey, it could have been worse - you could have mis-typed it as liorainne or lorene or lorrayne or...

Just pretend you were following the on-line convention of having everything in lower case... Wink

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

I just used the name I had decided upon for my 'business' (such as it is!) and it wasn't taken when I first joined this community. I decided on the name originally because, while I'm concentrating on jewellery right now, when I get bored with that and move on to another medium/product, the title 'Artefacts' will fit with whatever I choose to do. The general definition is "something made or given shape by man, such as a tool or a work of art, esp. an object of archaeological interest".

www.melodytallon.com

Submissions: 97

Posted on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

My username is Quenyan Elvish meaning "fire-crowned" or "crowned with fire." I picked it for few reasons: I'm very much a Tolkienite and tend to have an LotR theme to pretty much all of my usernames and I have very red hair. I was having fun with the Elvish etymological section at the back of Lost Road and Other Writings trying to come up with an Elvish name that fit and liked this one the best.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Years ago I used to go by the username fortune for all my gaming endeavors.

Then one day I tried to make a username on AIM and it was taken :/ Tried to make one with my name, alas, it was taken. Hit randomize with my name and Hatcher833 came up! Here I am 10 years later, still using hatcher833 for EVERYTHING Razz

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next