ISO: Commission for soldered bracelet
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Trading Room

Submissions: 0

ISO: Commission for soldered bracelet
Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello!

So, I am looking to see if there are any artists who might be interested in/able to create a bracelet with the weave linked below. The bracelet should be designed for 24/7 wear. I have tried multiple times to have this bracelet made and each time it has fallen apart within a week or two (tried both a sterling silver and sterling silver-coated stainless steel). I believe the only solution is to find someone willing to solder the rings closed. (Please feel free to educate me on alternatives; I'm new to chainmaille but have loved everything I've seen Smile).

Desired weave: http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=662 . I absolutely adore this one, but if there are reasons why another weave may be better, please let me know!

If you think you may be interested in putting this piece together and perhaps providing a quote (or if you have any advice on increasing the durability of a chainmaille piece), please let me know!

Thank you!
Sarah

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm

IMO that weave would be better suited for stainless steel as the softer metal would be likely to deform in a less dense weave like this even when soldered. also I'm curious,, what do you know about its flexibility? does it only bend the one way like a tight AR helm chain?

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm

It's a fairly flexible weave and bends well. The artist I originally commissioned originally mistook this for an AR helm chain and cautioned me on the weave's inflexibility but the Draco Esse does not seem to have any of these problems.

I understand that straight stainless steel may be the best and only solution...but I intend to keep this on indefinitely (as it is a substitute for an engagement ring) and would love to have a sterling silver finish if possible.

It may also be that chainmaille is not the proper medium for this particular piece of jewelry...I just love the look and feel so much...

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 pm

this weave is intriguing me now, I'll have to give it a shot, thanx for the info.

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:10 pm

djgm wrote:
this weave is intriguing me now, I'll have to give it a shot, thanx for the info.

Sure! I think I went through every weave on this site before I settled on this one. It's pretty and simple; I work in a lab and the design would need to be as basic and out-of the way as possible. Don't want to douse it or myself in chemicals...

The only problem I had with the design is that the smallest rings (that lie parallel to your skin when worn) tend to "fall" through the weave. They don't always stay above the larger rings. This annoyed me at first but I was able to easily pull them into the proper place with my left hand, which is a serious accomplishment for me.

http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/sparkleen/media/A655FAE9-EE54-4956-A023-7B9B7516DED5-2025-000001CA30747FDC_zpsd806ec76.jpg.html

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 pm

oh no..I hate little things like that. all the weaves have something about them though eh, guess that's why we ever quest for the perfect one.

the other thing to consider is there is more than one gauge system, just going on my eye ball measurements here but it looks like you used 18awg or 0.04" wire 1/4 and the submitter of that weave used 18swg or 0.048" 1/4 the diffrence in wire isn't much but the little bit extra might keep those little guys in place. I think the 20g is awg from the AR given though that's just a guess. also the weave submitter might be listing actual IDs not mandrel IDs.

of course now I'm back to wondering about flexibility if the chain was cinched up tighter.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1