Looking for Suggestions on a Piece for Women
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

Looking for Suggestions on a Piece for Women
Posted on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm thinking of putting gold, brass, or bronze on the edges, as well as the seams. Though I haven't worked with any of those metals, I'm not sure if the seams will hold with those metals. If anyone has experience with these metals, is it possible they can hold all that aluminum together, or will I have to go with anodized aluminum?

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I just have to say... that piece is fabulous!

Considering that you're working with aluminium, there would be less strain on the joins than if you were working with a heavier metal, so I think you should be okay, provided you don't use a wire diameter that is too thin, or an AR which is too large. I haven't worked with gold or bronze, but I've worked with (plated) brass, and I think a WD of 1.2mm would be fine.

If you're really worried, see if you can find somewhere which sells gold-plated steel rings. If you were in Australia, I'd point you towards Australian Craft Supplies who have a nice but limited range of gold-toned steel rings. Otherwise, I don't know where you would get them; while The Ring Lord sells plated iron rings, you can't choose the colour, you simply get given an assortment.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

sorry cant help with rings but just had to say Surprised OMG that is FABULOUS

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Very nice piece! I would think that since your piece is Aluminum either brass or bronze should hold as long as you keep the wire diameter the same as well as the ID. If you want a golden color you could look into jewlers brass which I believe has more of a golden color.

Very nice again I can't wait to see it finished.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Wow!!

Just..... WOW!!

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

What a great piece!! I would forget about trimming with a different tone if i were you. It will make it look less fantasy armor and more Ren fair armor IMO. plus aluminum wont tarnish where as brass bronze and the like will.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Sorry, I don't have any advice because I just play around with making jewellery, but I wanted to add my expression of amazement on this piece - fantastic! Look forward to seeing it completed with "all the trimmings".

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am

djgm wrote:
What a great piece!! I would forget about trimming with a different tone if i were you. It will make it look less fantasy armor and more Ren fair armor IMO. plus aluminum wont tarnish where as brass bronze and the like will.

Oh, I think it would look great with a contrasting trimming, myself. I'm not so sure about whether contrasting seams would look good, but trimming, yes.

Mind you, my own personal taste would want it trimmed with black, not gold.

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 am

I also think it will be even more fabulous with a trimming.

For the color, I believe any color should work but I'm not exactly experimented with trimming.
Did the wearer have any preference?

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm

what weave is the ribbed affect on lower front and sides please

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Shirluban - I actually haven't asked, so no idea atm.

Kerravonsen and djgm both make good points, I'm leaning a bit toward djgm though as maintenance is far simpler with one type of material, and also saves me a bit of work. Though I still may try colored edging just to see how it looks. (She is going to pair it with a green dress, so I may actually hound her to get that done and see how it looks as is with the dress)

Traeylex -around the waist it's Euro 6 in 1 into elfweave.

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm

fwe2 wrote:
(She is going to pair it with a green dress, so I may actually hound her to get that done and see how it looks as is with the dress)

If it were me, I'll make the trim in black, or yellow, or maybe purple (if the tone match well with the actual dress).
Black is a sure bet.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 pm

You could always use bare copper knowing that it will change as it ages. With a green dress you could get some really nice variances in color as the metal patina's with age at different rates.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 pm

I was also thinking of doing some simple flower chain pattern off the shoulders, though I'm not sure if she'll have sleeves, or if that will be too much going on in one piece.

Posted on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:29 am

fwe2 wrote:
I was also thinking of doing some simple flower chain pattern off the shoulders, though I'm not sure if she'll have sleeves, or if that will be too much going on in one piece.

I think it would be too much going on, yes. Let the dramatic lines of it speak for itself.

Though I still think it would look good trimmed with black. That way, it can be worn with other colours besides green, if the owner so chooses. If you did it with black Anodized Aluminium, it would all be the same metal, so you would know what to expect with it.

The main disadvantage of using AA, of course, is that you need to be careful not to scratch it when you are working with it. I've been finding that the most common cause of scratching AA is if the ring slips when one is closing it. And that's more likely when the weave is cramped and difficult.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next