*Entries for Contest 22 - Weaves Without Gallery Submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 22

Posted on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

lorraine wrote:
I love the idea that when you enter the contest, you also take a few minutes to submit your entry to the gallery. Holding the gallery submissions of contest entries back until the end of the contest is no problem.

It would be cool too to take more minutes to write a proper description of some weaves or maybe even tutorials.

Among others, I think about the "something" 6 in 1 weave, whose description only tells it's 6 in 1, while its picture shows mostly 4-1 connections.

</rant>

Oh! And I'm most probably in.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Shirluban wrote:
It would be cool too to take more minutes to write a proper description of some weaves or maybe even tutorials.

Among others, I think about the "something" 6 in 1 weave, whose description only tells it's 6 in 1, while its picture shows mostly 4-1 connections.

</rant>

There was a time years ago when a lot of information was lost in a transfer to another server. I believe sakredchao, lorenzo, and Chainmailbasket_com added as many weaves back from just their memory of them. So at the time, their main concern was just to get the library back as fast as possible. At least that's how I remember the story. Someone who was there should set my memory straight. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 pm

lorraine wrote:
There was a time years ago when a lot of information was lost in a transfer to another server. I believe sakredchao, lorenzo, and Chainmailbasket_com added as many weaves back from just their memory of them. So at the time, their main concern was just to get the library back as fast as possible. At least that's how I remember the story. Someone who was there should set my memory straight. Smile

Ah, now that explains why that weave and others were created by "Antiquity".

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 2

Posted on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Shirluban wrote:

I'm hoping to do this if I do a weave that doesn't have a tut. One of the weaves I'm considering already has one though. We'll see.

It's probably too late for it to work this way, but it'd be cool if submitting a tut for a weave that has none would count for the theme as well. It accomplishes the same 'goal' of filling out some of the weaves more.

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 am

reform wrote:
Shirluban wrote:

I'm hoping to do this if I do a weave that doesn't have a tut. One of the weaves I'm considering already has one though. We'll see.

It's probably too late for it to work this way, but it'd be cool if submitting a tut for a weave that has none would count for the theme as well. It accomplishes the same 'goal' of filling out some of the weaves more.

Submitting a picture of the weave that you made a tut for as an entry would be totally fine for the contest!

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 578

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 am

lorraine wrote:

The only time I remember all weaves having to be added back was when m.a.i.l. went automated. I think that was back in '02.

However, the story behind 6 in 1 Net, is that there used to be a glitch that would occasionally reassociate a weave to someone if they were editing it. So over the years a few entries shifted to my account, and a few to sakredchao's, during regular maintenance. (Remember when we used to put '§' in front of common weaves so that they would appear at the top of the list, alphabetically? That was before the tagging system was implemented). 6 in 1 Net got reassociated with me, and sadly, DL and I couldn't figure out who the original submitter was, so it ended up as Antiquity. My understanding was antiquity was also to be used with all the common weaves, but even E4-1 (and a few others) were shown as submitted by me up until a few years ago when I had DL change it (them).

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 am

reform wrote:

A separate weave tutorial contest is a consideration, but before we bring it up for discussion, there are certain things article-wise that need to be finished. We're still operating under the buggy beta version.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.

Submissions: 13

New weaves?
Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

If, by chance, you happen to come up with a new weave, should it still count for the contest? I mean, if you "invent" it won't have any gallery submission and therefor be counted. I think it would count but just making sure! Very Happy

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Re: New weaves?
Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 pm

WpA09 wrote:
If, by chance, you happen to come up with a new weave, should it still count for the contest? I mean, if you "invent" it won't have any gallery submission and therefor be counted. I think it would count but just making sure! Very Happy

This question have been answered in the last page:
lorraine wrote:
Yes, the time-frame for "Weaves without gallery submissions" is the twelve weeks of the contest and includes new weaves during that period. Just remember, if the person who submits the weave enters the contest, they must follow the rules like everyone else. Your entry must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time-frame of the contest.

Smile

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:48 pm

I presume it's ok if a submission uses both weaves without gallery submissions AND weaves with gallery submissions?

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Shirluban wrote:
I presume it's ok if a submission uses both weaves without gallery submissions AND weaves with gallery submissions?

I suspect this is another "up to the voters to decide".

In cases like these, I would hope to see the weaves with no gallery submits to be the predominate ones in the piece.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:49 pm

here's an entry of an Attica variant, I'm assuming that counts. I can't seem to copy urls anymore on flickr here's the link if you could help me get the pick up lorrain that would be awesome.

I submitted to the gallery too if that helps.

Edit: I figured out how to get the url of the picture and added it for you. ~Lorraine

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Shirluban wrote:

Speaking as just a person on the site:
Because the theme is Weaves without gallery submissions, I would not vote for a submission that has weaves that already have gallery submissions because... in my opinion, it doesn't follow the theme.

Speaking as the contest coordinator:
Enter what you believe represents the theme of the contest and follows the rules.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm

djgm wrote:
here's an entry of an Attica variant, I'm assuming that counts. I can't seem to copy urls anymore on flickr here's the link if you could help me get the pick up lorrain that would be awesome. http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156782@N02/9320931185/

I submitted to the gallery too if that helps.

Flickr has changed sharing of photos a little bit.

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu on the photo, to the left of the More menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

To get the BBCode make sure you have "share this" and "access to original files" turned on. Then, when you click on the "other ways to share this" button, you should see "Grab the HTML/BBCODE". You should be able to then copy that and put the picture in your post here.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 pm

lorraine wrote:

Submitting a picture of the weave that you made a tut for as an entry would be totally fine for the contest!

This makes sense.

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
A separate weave tutorial contest is a consideration, but before we bring it up for discussion, there are certain things article-wise that need to be finished. We're still operating under the buggy beta version.

So does this.

If I end up making a tut, I'll just hang onto it until everything's working again.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 9. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next