My latest effort
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 1

My latest effort
Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Full Persian, split and continued so the weave runs the same direction in both sides. Wire wrapped the amethyst-colored rutile quartz myself for the pendant.

Silver plated 6mm rings. Hand-made hook clasp, with 2 inch chain, so total length is about 20 to 24 inches, not counting the pendant drop.

My thanks to CGMaille site for the tutorial on both the weave and how to split it.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Submissions: 22

Great Piece
Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 pm

That's a lovely necklace, and the amethyst gets my attention because it is my birthstone. Will have to check out the tutorial on splitting the weave. Well done Smile

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 pm

That's amazing! Did you connect the chain directly to the wire wrapping the rutile quartz or did the quartz already have a place to connect it?

There is but an inch of difference between a cushioned chamber and a padded cell. -G.K. Chesterton

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Very nice Smile

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 am || Last edited by Gryphon47 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

LlamaLord wrote:
That's amazing! Did you connect the chain directly to the wire wrapping the rutile quartz or did the quartz already have a place to connect it?
I wrapped the stone myself and made a small heart-shaped loop at the top to have a place for a jump ring to the necklace.

The wrap is made from 2 separate pieces of wire, bent to shape and wrapped together at the sides to hold it around the stone.

Artefacts, the stone is rutile (or rutilated) quartz that just happens to be amethyst color. The gold "needles" are titanium oxide in the quartz, and are called rutiles.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 am

Ah, yes - I just re-checked your description. Doesn't matter if it's actual amethyst or amethyst-coloured, I am still attracted to it. I really need to combine seaglass with chainmaille in the same way.......

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 am

Very pretty piece! I used to do some wire wrapping as well. I think, if there is room, I would put a second ring though the bail of the pendant. It would make the connection more secure and look a little heftier, like the chain. For some reason the one ring looks like it's hanging on by a thread. It's just an appearance thing, but that's what I would do. Smile

Many years ago I went nuts and bought tons of cabochons and gems for wire wrapping. I still have them. Once in awhile I take them out and go all Smeagol on them... "my precioussssssssss". Razz I especially love rutilated quartz.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:04 am

I bought my wife a nice piece of lapus a few years back. After seeing an agate wrapped in half Persian 4 in 1 in another post, I've been trying to learn the weave. Four tries, four failures so far. It won't stabilize properly..... yet. I don't give up easily.

As for this piece, the single ring goes with the delicate look of the weave, in my opinion.

Posted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:50 pm

My only problem with wrapping stones in Half Persians is that you need to glue or epoxy them in place.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks for saying that, Lorraine. I've been wondering about that. The picture mentioned nothing about it.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=2980

This is the piece that inspired me to thing about the wife's lapus stone. I'm trying to use 6mm gold rings from Hobby Lobby, and haven't even been able to get off the ground with HP 4 in 1 yet. So, do you think the stone in the pic is glued in?

What would you recommend instead that wouldn't require gluing?

Posted on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 am

I've seen Three Quarters Persian work on coins without glue, but coins are thin and don't have a dome on one side like most cabochons. I've also seen people use Japanese weaves and modified Helm Chain to capture cabs. I have also seen two strips of Half Persian 3 in 1 joined by European 4 in 1 down the center used to wrap coins. That does cover a significant amount of the coin though, and I don't know how well it does on cabs without glue. I have used European 4 in 1 with European 6 in 1 on the edges to wrap cabs. Cabochon Wrapping Using European 4 in 1 and 6 in 1. This also covers a significant amount of the edge of the cab, but no glue is necessary. If you go to the gallery home page and click on "wrap" under the "Weave Descriptor" column, you will see some different ways that people have wrapped cabs.

If you come up with a new way to wrap a cab without using glue, I would love to see it! And of course there is always wire wrapping. Smile

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:03 am

Me likey E 4 in 1 with E 6 in 1 edges. Me have to go there.

Thankee!

Posted on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I got the lapis (there, spelled it right that time) stone from the wife, and found it to be (as I thought I remembered) not a true cab, but flat like a cab on one side and faceted on the other. It will mount like a cab, but it's not smoothly rounded like one.

I started throwing together some E 4/1 last night, just for a start. Without doing a lot of measuring, I'd say the rings are probably 20 gauge. The package only listed them as 6mm gold rings. They're Artistic Wire brand, and were on sale at Hobby Lobby when I bought them. They're going to make a pretty Full Persian necklace, like the one in the photo above. The stone is 1-1/8 X7/8 inch. Looking around through the other links you gave me, I think I might try the 3/4 Persian thing with it.

I used to restore antique cars. I tell people I've worked on cars they've never even heard of. I've had to get very inventive to make parts for a car that hadn't existed for the better part of a century, so I look forward to trying it.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

I did this: http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=7141 using alternating bands of HP3-1. So...like alligator back but without the row of E4-1 in the middle because the watch face was so thin - like a coin. It worked REALLY well. I'm not sure it would work with a cab though. I'd have to try it. Still, something similar - perhaps playing with two different ring sizes to tighten things up? - might work.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 am

This will be my first post on here and I just have to say "WELL DONE!" This is a stunning work! Very Happy

I'm crazy as a bat, and I like it that way Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next