CGMAILLE Tutorials
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 1

CGMAILLE Tutorials
Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi,

I have read the terms of use written by phong but i fail to see if i can link to his tutorials from my site. Let me clarify that it is a commercial site thus:

"The free tutorials listed on this site are to be used for private, non-commercial use only. They may not be used for public display, given or sold without express prior written consent."

I'm not a lawyer but still even though i'm not selling the tutorials do i violate the copyrigh laws by linking to them from my site?

Actually i tried to P.M. him but the message stays in my outbox.

A second question is and i believe phong is the right person to answer. My main customer group is ladies around 45-70 years old with no skills in the English language. I am thinking of translating the tutorials in Swedish but it will be in vain without using the pictures. A solution would be to use google translate for inline translation which technically is not violating any copyrights.

If you read this Phong drop me a PM. I'm commercially interested in the tutorials.

BR
/C

Submissions: 22

Re: CGMAILLE Tutorials
Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am

Carolides wrote:
1) I am thinking of translating the tutorials in Swedish but it will be in vain without using the pictures. 2) A solution would be to use google translate for inline translation which technically is not violating any copyrights.

1)
I don't know about Sweden law, but under French law it is NOT legal to translate something without prior authorisation. Using or not the images is irrelevant (well, using them would be a second copyright infraction).

2)
The license terms you just quoted says: "They may not be used for public display, given or sold without express prior written consent.".
So, if you intent to Google-translate, print, and give it away, even for free, it is NOT legal.
You should also check Google's terms of use.

Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm not giving anything away nor add copyrighted material on my site.
I link visitors to cgmaille tutorials. So by adding a link pointing to a tutorial on cgmaille do i go outside terms of use?

Br
C

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Providing a link to Phong's tutorial site on your site won't violate his terms of use. Each person who visits the site can use a translator such as Google Translate to view it in the language they choose. This is all assuming each person is using it for private use.

As for commercial use, you are correct, you would need Phong's written permission to use his tutorials commercially.

I keep in touch with him. I will give him a poke.

If you are teaching classes regularly, it might be beneficial to you to write a tutorial and use pictures that you take. That way they are always yours to use, teach, or sell any way you like in any language. Just a thought. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 75

Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry for missing the PM, I'll reply there about the commercial inquiry.

Regarding linking to the tutorials on CGMaille, that's totally fine to do! Folks viewing the website can run the pages through Google translate if they need another language, but I ask that they not be translated, printed out and used as handouts in a class.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 7:14 pm

How nice.
I hold on to linking. We can continue through PM.

Br
C

Posted on Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 pm

lorraine wrote:

If you are teaching classes regularly, it might be beneficial to you to write a tutorial and use pictures that you take. That way they are always yours to use, teach, or sell any way you like in any language. Just a thought. Smile

Hi lorraine,
I'm an anal personality regarding tutorials Very Happy
Sure i could create my own using moray/povray but in order to achieve the quality of phongs tutorials it would take a while.

On the other hand why reinvent the wheel?

Tutorials are outside my core business and if my workshops can create additional value for someone else at the same time it gets a brick of my back i get even happier. Razz

Br
C

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 am

Then ask Phong for a commercial license to use the tuts for teaching, maybe useing the photos, in a translated version only - if he tells you a 'no', it's bad luck, but asking alone doesn't cost you anything. But be prepared to pay a (surely not prohibitive) fee, to be allowed to use them when teaching.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 75

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 am

ZiLi, as you can read in the OP, she did PM me already. Plus, I responded in earlier today. Smile

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 am

Sorry. I did notice that, but wanted to clarify, that there were maybe the possibility to acquire licenses from authors (and not only from you, but principally every author of a tutorial), for particular applications. Here for example a license explicitly for a particular translation could be granted, in other cases, for a special purpose. There are so many possibilities inbetween 'Don't use at all', and 'Take what you can get, do what you wish', that are possible to be agreed upon in such cases. Many people simply don't know about these possibilities of licensing.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

I find lots of articles in here to be very good. In advanced workshops they might come handy.

I have been authoring tutorials in my last job so im aware of the effort behind one tutorial.

Thats why i respect the copyright and want everything to be formally correct.

BR
C

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 am

Ooo ZiLi...
You're in Germany. Neighbour.

Guten Tag Smile

BR
C

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed May 29, 2013 1:27 am

Translations can be a bit tricky, epecialy when dealing with instructions and recipies.
Software, and a few "language" people will make an error that can adjust the outcome. Finding a native that can trial run the instructions will help a bit if its not your cultural language.

It's more of an issue with recipies where the terms can easily be confused.
Often "professional translators" will specialize especially in legal or medical fields.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1