Is A Seamless Closure for Scale Armour Possible?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Is A Seamless Closure for Scale Armour Possible?
Posted on Fri May 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi guys Smile I was hoping I might be able to get some tips on closure options for a scale armour neck-piece.

I'll be making essentially a form-fitting choker that will be part of a larger piece, and will open / close at the back. I've made smaller pieces using scales before, but nothing quite like this and the preference is to have as seamless a closure as possible at the back of the neck.

Thus far, most of the ideas I had have been ruled out, as it's a costume piece that will require using only metal, so just wondering if anyone else had made anything similar or had any tips for the best way to make the join.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm

ruling out non metal might be a trick,,If I were making it i would use the key rings to make it and sew the whole thing onto a leather choker with button snaps in the back. the leather underneath would also keep the pointy scale backs from marring up soft neck flesh.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 pm

You might want to look through the article section for clasps. You might find something there that would work.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun May 05, 2013 3:10 am

Thanks for the replies Smile

Any organic material is out due to the nature of the costume, which is what ruled out most of my ideas. The only other one I had was to have a seam, with a separate, detachable overlay of scales, but I have no idea how to go about that as yet (making it detachable, and ensuring it sits neatly when it's on, that is).

Cheers for the link to the articles - I haven't explored that section before, lots of nifty ideas there, too.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1