voting procedure
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 79

voting procedure
Posted on Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:48 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

i'm putting this here cause it is a request for the admins.

so far MAIL has had 3 major policy votes. all 3 have been regarding the adult issue.

the first was held on TCB when MAIL was a fledgeling. the vote was worded by charles. the vote language was biased, the vote results were not appliable due to how the vote was set up.

the second vote had much better wording cause people had been thinking on the issue for a long time at that point and had just had a poorly thought out vote run. this vote was held here on MAIL. this vote is what gave us the policy we have had until now.

the third vote, which was just put up recently, was poorly worded, but didn't have the confusing result issue that the first vote did. no offense bative, but the vote question seems "tossed up". like an afterthought, not as a well thought out, well worded issue.

my point is this. there should, i feel, be a system for policy votes.

the system might go something like this:

determine if a vote is needed.
in this case the answer would be yes.

determine how the vote should be worded so as to be as neutral as possible.
this could mean bring it up to the people.. ask folks what their concerns about the vote are..(not the subject of the vote, but the vote itself.) hopefully we'd get people like cynake or dryad responding... they have not voted because of the vote question itself, not because of a lack of opinion.

after the question is decided on. make an announcement on the main page. "time to vote is now" or something. and give the poll a title that makes it look a little more official. -=MAIL adult policy vote=- or something along those lines. perhaps keep it just a vote, and not some sort of discussion thread.. a vote and a mesage explaining what the vote is about.. and, yes, discuss the message beforehand, too. keep this in the admin room.. we got admins for a reason. in the beginning there were none. that did not work well.

also, we should know what boards would be okay with us announcing a policy vote. some people visit MAIL sporadically. they come here when they need a piece of inforation and don't use it as a discussion board. they may use TRL or one of the other boards. and boards that don't mind us making an announcement there, we should post that we are voting, and perhaps also post the mesage that would go with the vote.

i have taken the liberty to post at TRL's forum. jon has always supported MAIL.. morally and finiancially, and did not think he would mind a note regarding this. heck, charles might not mind his members voting on it. who knows.. but we should contact the board admins beforehand to see if it is okay to post it publicly there that there is a vote.

this is a request, because i have now seen repeatedly that policy votes do not go smoothly the first time and by the time you make a second run of it, people are sick of the issue. (i know i'm sick of it now on the 3rd run.) if we have some sort of procedure set up, it will help the first run be more effective... thusly making the whole vote more effective.

good luck,

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:26 pm

yea that sounds much better than wut is happening now

its like the admins and everyone are running around like chickens w/ there heads cut off we neeed organization we need to follow kims plan of action its sounds great

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:14 pm

don't go around following me... that'll get you into trouble.

it was just a suggestion that no doubt some of our members and admins could improve on.

Submissions: 82

Posted on Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:30 am

mmmm... I knew I was getting ahead of myself typing that up..
"pressure isnt all bad, look what it does to coal"
Guess that didn't apply here huh?

I made a few mistakes by not completely clarifying what the etc was.. belive me, I'll never forget it.

There was a bit of discussion concerning this whole situation, mind you, it's not a 2-night's read, but discussion none the less. I'm thinking maybe a pre-poll question asking time is a good idea... so everyone gets thier questions satisfied before conflicts arise..

This was my first real time making a deciding type-action-thingy at MAIL, so I'm pretty un-experianced. I know that I'll do better next time Smile

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:45 am

Those are very good suggestions, kim. We should consider writing up a voting policy procedure to follow in the future that will contain all of this information.

In addition, we need to consider the length of time that must pass before a vote on the same topic can be considered again. I'm sure that thought is giving everybody future-ulcers, but we need to be able to say "this topic can be discussed but not reconsidered until XX has passed" (whether XX = 6 months or a year...?). I suggest 1 year as the required time.

Posted on Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:57 am

oh yeah.. changing minds.. i forgot how fickle humans are.

bative, don't worry about it.. i wasn't trying to pick on you. we did the same thing in the beginning.

i'm as opposed to policies and procedures as the next anarchist, but in certain situations they can be useful.. maybe "guidelines" is the word. cause guidelines don't always have to be adhered to.

in this specific instance we have, i think we are seeing that a second vote is unnecessary.. the adult areas will most likely be removed. (or moved.. most of it is acceptable material.. poor daval...) Wink

we should also decide, as a group, what the length of time the vite should run for would be.. i would, personally, say.. 9 days. start on a friday morning, and end the monday morning a little over a week later.. this would give 2 weekends for the vote to take place.. as i have mentioned before not everyone comes in regularly.. and weekends are logical times when more folks have the time to come to MAIL and dilly dally.

this is the easy issue. wait till, in a few days, you have to decide what constitutes adult. that could take forever.

hey does david austin even know this is going on? i haven't seen him yet.. he's sort of a cornerstone mail member.. and aderamelech, also always has something to say when there is something to talk about. i'll contact them.

kim

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1