Idris and her Thief
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 61

Idris and her Thief
Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 am || Last edited by kerravonsen on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have now completed the project that I was asking for help with here: Necklace Design Problem: small-holed beads

I intended this to be a necklace, but it ended up so large that I turned it into a (decorative) belt.

Hanging up so one can see the whole:

Here it is up close:

How: Chainmaille and beads.

Main spiral This Is Not Food weave
large links ID=11.2mm, WD=1.4mm, AR=8 brass (gold, silver, plated)
small links rubber ID=2.8mm, WD=1mm, AR=2.8 (clear, white);
outside beads, eyepins, linked with small rings (ID=3.6, WD=1.2 AR=3) (brass: silver, gold, plated) and those rings linked to the large rings of the spiral weave with medium-sized rings (ID=5.6mm WD=1.2mm AR=4.67, brass, gold and silver plated); some beads not on eyepins but on rings and those rings linked to each other and the main spiral with small rings.

Section at end, Bellis Bondye weave, with large links as above, and the beads are brass and nickel pony beads. I made the tassel from sections of pre-made curb chain, cut to the same length and strung together on wire and finished with a bell cap.
Main beads: blue on one side, yellow on the other side; blue beads are a) blue goldstone cube 8mm, b) blue goldstone round 8mm, c) blue tigereye 8mm; yellow beads are all 8mm diameter (apart from the pony beads, which are 9mm x 6mm) and are a) round catseye, b) round Mysterious dark yellow, c) golden shadow helix, d) round cracked glass, e) jonqquil Czech fire-polished round, f) yellow pony, g) round gold filigree, h) yellow Czech fire-polished round, i) apollo gold Czech fire-polished round, j) lustred yellow pony, k) round Mysterious light yellow.
There are eleven sections of yellow beads, and each section has eleven beads.

Symbolism:
Yes, this has symbolism! Else it would not be titled as it is.
Idris is Idris "Sexy" TARDIS (as named in the Doctor Who episode "The Doctor's Wife"). The blue beads represent her; varying shapes as she is variable, blue with stars and chatoyancy as she is a space-time ship, and Very Blue.
Her Thief is, of course, the Doctor. The yellow beads represent all his regenerations so far, Eleven sections of eleven beads. Also, eleven represents duality and thresholds; there is no Threshold like stepping into the TARDIS with the Doctor.
The spiral is the time vortex that they travel in.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 am

love it and love the symbolism of it, as a Doctor Who fan i totally understand it, not sure any non DW fans would but who cares about them right Laughing

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

traceyalex wrote:
love it and love the symbolism of it, as a Doctor Who fan i totally understand it, not sure any non DW fans would but who cares about them right Laughing

Thanks!
Well, it's not that we don't care about non DW fans... but this piece is intended for a DW fan...

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

This Dr Who fan likes it Very Happy

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Very nicely done! Are you sure you are not a geneticist?

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Very nicely done! Are you sure you are not a geneticist?

Thank you!
Yes, I am absolutely sure I'm not a geneticist. I didn't even do Biology in high school. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1