**Brainstorming for the theme of Contest 21***
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

**Brainstorming for the theme of Contest 21***
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:04 am || Last edited by lorraine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is where you suggest ideas for the theme of Contest 21. All themes that are seconded will be put to a vote after one week. The winner of Contest 20's idea is automatically seconded. (That's you Riannon1984!) This thread will be open until the end of Monday March 25th. Then the voting thread will open.

1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry should be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100KB and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

4. The submission period for entries generally lasts 12 weeks. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

Contest Rules Discussion Thread
Theme Contest Archives

Submissions: 576

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 am

Graduation.

After being limited to one ring size, how about a theme that encourages the use of more than one?

Also, it's a good time of the year for this one.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 61

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 am

Unusual rings

This would be things like oval rings, square rings (made from round wire), round rings made from square wire, soda-pop-tab rings, rubber rings, glass rings, wooden rings, washers... etc.

Of course, for some styles of rings, such as ones that don't open, they would have to be mixed with normal-style rings, so that should be allowed.

I realize that rubber rings have already been used in the "stretchy maille" contest, but this is a bit broader than that. And I suppose it could be decreed to exclude rubber rings, but... that seems a bit fussy.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:47 am

Rainbows or Multi-coloured

Rainbows is a more fun name, but I don't want people to feel they have to make it all rainbow-coloured AA; more that it needs to be multi-coloured, and hopefully more than two colours.

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:53 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Graduation.

After being limited to one ring size, how about a theme that encourages the use of more than one?

Also, it's a good time of the year for this one.

Only if you live in the Northern hemisphere!

Still, I second this; if it is open to interpretation then we could have quite a bit of fun with it.

Submissions: 13

Music themes
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 am

Well, the title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking that anything that falls into the category of music can fit, no matter whether you make a clef or a strap.

Music is awesome- and so is chainmail, so why not mix them into something... Extraordinary Very Happy

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Armor theme
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 am

Also I have another theme. I'm sorry if this theme has been before. If so, please delete this message (no hard feelings) Wink

Theme: armor

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 am

kerravonsen wrote:
Rainbows or Multi-coloured

Rainbows is a more fun name, but I don't want people to feel they have to make it all rainbow-coloured AA; more that it needs to be multi-coloured, and hopefully more than two colours.

I personally don't fancy this theme as it would require people to purchase colored wire just for this theme Coif Smiley

Edit: I'll still second this as colors are awesome!

- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 100

scales
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am

did we do scales? I think it would work out well because we would save time with them taking up room.

Submissions: 576

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 pm

I'll second music.

WpA09 wrote:
Also I have another theme. I'm sorry if this theme has been before. If so, please delete this message (no hard feelings) Wink

Theme: armor

Armour was the theme for contest #14. There is no rule about a theme being used again. At least not that I know of. I'm sure lorraine can clarify this for us. Smile

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 8

Brainstorming!
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

I am going to have to think about my suggestion Smile Give me a day or two to come up with something.

I do like the suggestion of "Rainbows" colouful stuff us such fun to make, but I also agree not everyone has coloured wire or rings on hand.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:53 pm

kerravonsen wrote:
Unusual rings

This would be things like oval rings, square rings (made from round wire), round rings made from square wire, soda-pop-tab rings, rubber rings, glass rings, wooden rings, washers... etc.

Ooooo, I like that one!

Submissions: 5

Science fiction
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 pm || Last edited by Lunautumn on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Science fiction

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Okay, I need people to actually say I second ________. Or, if you want a similar theme, but different, then suggest it so that someone can second it. And please don't make me guess what your suggestion is by saying "something like _________ or __________." I have to know what your suggestion is to put it in the poll. Also, this is just the suggestions. The interpretation of the theme is up to the participants in the contest. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Second Unusual Rings

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 7. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next