Dragonback Sheet Bracelet
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

Dragonback Sheet Bracelet
Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:16 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've been playing around with Dragonback and decided to make a Dragonback Sheet bracelet. Mine might be constructed a little differently from ElementalDragon's patch... I'm not sure. It could be because I used one ring size and not two.

Bracelet

Closeup of the bracelet.
The rings are 18awg (1.0mm)/5.50mm anodized niobium (at a voltage of 85) with an AR of 5.6.
The bracelet is very flexible at this AR, but it gets quite tight at a lower AR.
I made this by making two pieces of Dragonback and then "zipping it up" top and bottom with European 4-1 using the top and bottom rows of Persian 3 in 1 on each side.
It is about 1.25 inches wide and weighs 2.825oz including the clasp. There are close to 600 rings in this bracelet. Razz
This is one of my favorite colors to anodize niobium to. It's difficult to get a consistent color though. But I consider that a plus. Some rings anodize closer to the slightly purplish side and some anodize further into the slightly greenish side. But the effect is overall a very nice teal color.

If you use a lower AR the weave becomes very tight and curls.

This is made of copper rings. 18awg (1.0mm)/5.0mm with an AR of 5.0.
It has a nice natural curve to it that would make it great for baskets or sculptural use.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 am

Awesome bracelet. Dragonback is one of my favs. I've been meaning to do one of these myself.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Looks great to me Smile

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 pm

thats fab, love the differant colours too

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

can you tell me what niobium is as this is the first place ive come across it, i know its a metal but whats it made up from
TIA

Submissions: 13

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:45 pm

traceyalex wrote:
can you tell me what niobium is as this is the first place ive come across it, i know its a metal but whats it made up from
TIA

"It is a soft, grey, ductile transition metal, which is often found in the pyrochlore mineral, the main commercial source for niobium, and columbite... ~~~... Niobium is used mostly in alloys, the largest part in special steel such as that used in gas pipelines. Although alloys contain only a maximum of 0.1%, that small percentage of niobium improves the strength of the steel. The temperature stability of niobium-containing superalloys is important for its use in jet and rocket engines.
Niobium is used in various superconducting materials. These superconducting alloys, also containing titanium and tin, are widely used in the superconducting magnets of MRI scanners.
Other applications of niobium include its use in welding, nuclear industries, electronics, optics, numismatics and jewelry. In the last two applications, niobium's low toxicity and ability to be colored by anodization are particular advantages." - wikipedia Wink

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm

thanks for that WpA09, some 1 on here said its really expencive, is it?

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 pm

traceyalex wrote:

A quick run through at TRL (The Ring Lord) shows the following prices:

16g 1/4" Saw Cut Bright Aluminum = $1.50 per oz with ~231 rings per oz
16g 1/4" Saw Cut Anodized Aluminum = $5.15 per bag with ~300 rings per bag
16g 1/4" Saw Cut Stainless Steel = $3.05 per oz with ~72 rings per oz
16g 1/4" Niobium (not sure if saw cut or not) = $21.90 per oz with ~60 rings per oz

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm

traceyalex wrote:
TIA

Niobium is an element on the periodic table so is made of niobium. Razz It is, to my knowledge sold pure to us jewelery makers. Right now, you can buy unanodized niobium (retail) for anywhere from $1.34 to $1.95USD per foot. Just remember, to get the colors you have to also pay for anodizing it, or anodize it yourself. For comparison, sterling silver costs about $2.80USD per foot right now.

Good chart from TRL: http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcontent.asp?type=materialsdata

Thanks everyone. This piece is fun to wear and very eye-catching.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Just remember when comparing prices or things sold by the oz. TRL sells by the oz. Other ring and wire suppliers sell by the troy oz (ozt). A troy ounce is about 10% more than an ounce.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Beautiful work as always Lorraine. Some day I will be as good as you are, if my kids give me time to actually weave. They have a tendency to like playing with my rings and things get scattered. But ONE DAY I will do it!

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Shadowfire19 wrote:
traceyalex wrote:

A quick run through at TRL (The Ring Lord) shows the following prices:

16g 1/4" Saw Cut Bright Aluminum = $1.50 per oz with ~231 rings per oz
16g 1/4" Saw Cut Anodized Aluminum = $5.15 per bag with ~300 rings per bag
16g 1/4" Saw Cut Stainless Steel = $3.05 per oz with ~72 rings per oz
16g 1/4" Niobium (not sure if saw cut or not) = $21.90 per oz with ~60 rings per oz

so the answer is yes Laughing for me anyway

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Very nice Lorraine, I have to agree Teal is the most amazing color for niobium. Mind you Nb colors in general look much more vibrant and saturated than most other anoed metals. Is the clasp Nb as well?

From experience, the average person has no clue what Niobium (Wikipedia Link) is so don't feel bad if you don't either. The typical uses for Nb are not relevant enough to the average person to be mentioned in movies or mainstream media.

Niobium is element #41 (Nb) on the periodic table of elements. It's soft but not copper soft, probably around sterling silver. It's heavy, again not quite copper heavy but it's up there. It makes a distinct sound when tapped or dropped due to it's density. I'm also told like Titanium, Niobium is fully hypo-allergenic. Pieces made from Niobium will certainly have some weight, but a good kind of weight (hard to explain or quantify), a quality feel vs a bulk feel. You really have to feel it to understand. While expensive it is a very neat metal to work with and the colors if anodized are beautiful.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Yep, I made the clasp too. Smile

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

That is an exquisite piece of work, I think I'll be taking a look at that particular weave. It does look rather nice. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next