chainmaille weaves book
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 378

Posted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:59 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

yeah. i like those suggestions. i suppose i won't name it officially until it's done.

Posted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

i'm writing up contracts for people to sign in the next few days. let me know if i've missed you.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 pm

One thing that does concern me is, what if the person who supplies you with the weave isn't the originator of the link design?

I'm unsure what the terms and conditions are like for submitting weave designs to mailleartisans.org

Personally if someone is mad enough to try a weave then good luck to them. but everyone may not feel as I do. I assume you've looked into this eventuality?

Posted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm

ClymAngus wrote:
One thing that does concern me is, what if the person who supplies you with the weave isn't the originator of the link design?

I'm unsure what the terms and conditions are like for submitting weave designs to mailleartisans.org

Personally if someone is mad enough to try a weave then good luck to them. but everyone may not feel as I do. I assume you've looked into this eventuality?

there is no ownership of weaves. the submitting member to this site is essentially the "documenter." in many cases, it's impossible to trace back and find the actual person who first thought of a weave. even though i have weaves that are credited to me as "the first to come up with," i don't consider myself the owner of said weave. in many cases, i am not just copying a weave that someone else came up with - i am trying to make it better by experimenting with new aspect ratios. i will be using my own pics and my own wording to describe the weaves. i also have my own naming system and categorizing system. so, nothing is directly taken from this site. i have tried to keep most of the names of weaves the same for uniformity sake so i don't alienate the greater part of the chainmaille community. i have done the research and i haven't been able to find any legal issues with the idea. i'm sure someone would let me know if i missed anything.

Posted on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

contracts going out today. if anyone would like to join later in the project, that is fine too. send me a private email if you would like to look over the contract.

benefactor111@yahoo.com

ps. i'm leaning toward splitting this project into many volumes to make the first book easier to publish. also, that way, the volumes can grow with the weave data base. tentatively, i'm looking at 200 weaves documented per volume. more information can then be said about each weave. perhaps 1 or 2 weaves per page.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Sadly, as of know, I personally cannot contribute; however this sounds like a great idea if done well and finished. I really like the idea of the possibility of updated volumes or multiple volumes because as we all know there is still a vast amount of undiscovered weaves.

I would total subscribe/buy this book/s. I love physical things and collecting them (also I don't have the internet at home or a smart phone, so I have sorta limited access to M.A.I.L. and I primarily work on maille at home. :/)

I'm fairly good at understanding weaves with a good sample picture (or pictures where necessary as some weaves look different from different angles/sides,) and a short well written weave analysis. Also maille is just so pretty, I'm sure I'd just flip through it for pleasure and inspiration regularly! Very Happy

Posted on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 pm

J.R. Nimmo wrote:
Sadly, as of know, I personally cannot contribute; however this sounds like a great idea if done well and finished. I really like the idea of the possibility of updated volumes or multiple volumes because as we all know there is still a vast amount of undiscovered weaves.

I would total subscribe/buy this book/s. I love physical things and collecting them (also I don't have the internet at home or a smart phone, so I have sorta limited access to M.A.I.L. and I primarily work on maille at home. :/)

I'm fairly good at understanding weaves with a good sample picture (or pictures where necessary as some weaves look different from different angles/sides,) and a short well written weave analysis. Also maille is just so pretty, I'm sure I'd just flip through it for pleasure and inspiration regularly! Very Happy

that's awesome. great to hear how interested you are. sorry you can't be involved right now, but keep in mind that you can join in anytime in the future.

i'm really going for a high quality, antique looking book that would do well at ren faires and be a collectors item for those dedicated to chainmaille. the information that it will provide will not add greatly to what can already be found on the web, but like i said before, having physical, written, and digital copies of all the weaves is essential to the continued legacy of chainmaille weave knowledge.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 pm

You're description makes it sound even more amazing! And I very well may get involved in the future.

Do you have anything planned to help eliminate the possibility of people doing already completed tasks?

Posted on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:20 am

J.R. Nimmo wrote:
You're description makes it sound even more amazing! And I very well may get involved in the future.

Do you have anything planned to help eliminate the possibility of people doing already completed tasks?

yes, the system is set up so that i send 10 links of weaves to a collaborator. they choose which ones they want to do. when completed, they send me the weaves in the mail. i then know which weaves they did. no collaborator crosses over on doing weaves that another collaborator is doing or considering. i'm thinking of setting up a shared document on google docs, so everyone knows what's going on and can update their completed weaves in real time.

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm

i have a prototype page of my book here. i would like some feedback on the look and/or functionality. feel free to be critical. thx.

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:26 pm

i would also like to ask the admins if there is any issue with using the m.a.i.l. title in my book? i would like to link my weaves with ones used in m.a.i.l. in the e-book version of my book. the printed version would not include links of course - just the name.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:29 pm

The font at the top is very hard to read.

You will have to ask DL about the linking.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:34 pm

would the same font, just bigger, be better? or is it the font you don't like?

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 pm

It's the font. Some letters are capitalized and some aren't. If you're going to be selling this, that font needs to go.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:31 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
i have a prototype page of my book here. i would like some feedback on the look and/or functionality. feel free to be critical. thx.

The watermark background looks pretty, but I think it distracts from the readability.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next