chainmaille weaves book
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 378

chainmaille weaves book
Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i would like to announce an opportunity to chainmaille weavers. i'm currently working on a book of chainmaille weaves. i would like it to be a bit of a coop venture - meaning anyone who contributes invests in ownership of the book and will benefit from sales. there will be some strict guidelines about weave contributions so quality control is a priority. please contact me if you work with saw cut stainless steel and you would like to be a part of this adventure. more info will be provided in this post. people who are interested will complete samples of weaves in stainless steel. then, they will mail off the samples to me. i will direct who makes what samples. as people make more weaves, they gain more ownership in the rights of the book that will be published. i haven't worked out exactly how much a weave sample will get you, but i want to see if i can get enough people interested first before i go figuring out all the numbers. weave samples will have to contain 16swg saw cut stainless steel and have good closures. if a weave has multiple gauges, then at least one of the gauges has to be 16swg. i had originally wanted to do this venture on my own, but i'm finding out that i just don't have time to make all the weaves. so far, i have 150 weave samples and i've documented them on my website. i want this book to look organized and well planned. history is important, i am not the person to do that. i would need to have a history expert do the writing on that. professional photographer, writers, and editors will get percentage ownership as well. my private email:

benefactor111@yahoo.com

-josh

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 am

sounds like a massive undertaking, best of luck.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 am

You might want to look at this. It was started quite some time ago.
http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com/
I personally devote as much time as I can to MAIL because I believe it truly belongs to everyone. I just don't think a printed book could ever contain enough information about chainmaille, or mail, or maille, or chain mail, or chain maille, or... Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 am

I do work with saw cut stainless quite a bit. Your work is much the same style. I'd like to hear more about this and possibly contribute.

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

lorraine wrote:
You might want to look at this. It was started quite some time ago.
http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com/
I personally devote as much time as I can to MAIL because I believe it truly belongs to everyone. I just don't think a printed book could ever contain enough information about chainmaille, or mail, or maille, or chain mail, or chain maille, or... Razz

that looks like an awesome project. you're right, there's just too much information on chainmaille to make a comprehensive book. most information can be found online in some form or another. this website, for example, is probably equivalent to 20 encyclopedia size books. this site does belong to everyone and i think it's truly great to have such a resource.

a book of only weaves could be helpful i believe. having a hard copy of all the weaves in a book and in weave form would insure that our collective knowledge would endure. a collection of weave samples could be in a museum that focuses on the art of chainmaille and therefore bring more attention and respect for our art form. and if something horrible ever happens, like emp, nuclear war, etc, (electronic information is lost) then we have some kind of back up.

i'm not doing this for $. this is for the community. that is why i want as many people as possible to join in, make some weaves, and maybe a little money too if the book sells well.

i've already been working on this for 2 years. it will happen with or without people's help. it will just take me a lot longer by myself.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

You have a good point mithrilweaver, especially about having actual examples of each of the weaves. I really do wish you lots of luck and help with your project.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I was wondering if this is a going to be a black and white encyclopedia of weaves without tutorials? I also understand why the stipulation about saw cut stainless so there is some uniformity but some people might not be able to spend the extra money on saw cut links and or be able to work 16swg stainless. like for me to work for a month with bought 16swg stainless saw cut would cost me 1000$.

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 pm

djgm wrote:
I was wondering if this is a going to be a black and white encyclopedia of weaves without tutorials? I also understand why the stipulation about saw cut stainless so there is some uniformity but some people might not be able to spend the extra money on saw cut links and or be able to work 16swg stainless. like for me to work for a month with bought 16swg stainless saw cut would cost me 1000$.

yeah, i understand. it's hard stuff to work with and it's expensive compared to aluminum. 2 years ago when i was deciding what metal to use for this project, i gave it careful thought. stainless takes great photos. it also lasts a really long time. i would have chosen titanium actually for my personal choice, but then i realized how expensive it would be. stainless was a compromise. i wasn't thinking about extending this offer to people originally. i was going to do it all myself.

for people that want to contribute, it's not necessary to spend $1000. you could contribute 20 weave samples and spend less than $50. it's really up to each person how much they want to contribute. even 1 weave would be helpful.

the book will be black and white. there will not be tutorials. there will be explanations of weave structure, history, connections. i would like to fit 4 weaves on a page - making the book 300 + pages. i'm not going to go into great detail with words on each weave, it would just take up too much space and all that info can be found easily on the internet.

for those who would like to write/edit, every weave they write a small paragraph on, would get them another credit in ownership rights to the book. so, it would go something like this:

2 credits for each weave sample that is completed and mailed to me.
1 credit for each photograph (but only 1 person will be photographing all the weaves to keep things uniform)
1 credit for every small explanation of weave (100 words).
1 credit for every weave explanation edit.

these credits will work like shares in a company stock. the more shares that are owned, the more percentage of the book sales will come your way.

right now, i own all the credits/shares, but there are thousands still up for grabs. my shares will be deluded as people start contributing.

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm not trying to be a downer, I really think this is a fun idea. but suppose it never gets published for whatever reason, the shares arnt worth anything then and the effort and the menial 50$ has gone to waste.

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm

djgm wrote:
I'm not trying to be a downer, I really think this is a fun idea. but suppose it never gets published for whatever reason, the shares arnt worth anything then and the effort and the menial 50$ has gone to waste.

of course, with any investment there is risk. i would like to think that the risk is diminished quite a bit, because i've already invested huge amounts of time and money. i'm a full time chainmaille artist with a thriving business. my character and reputation are upstanding. if i don't get it done, my reputation takes a hit and i don't want that. i'm motivated to continue work. i think the biggest obstacle will be getting money to self publish. i refuse to work with a publisher and loose creative rights. so, there may be a fundraising event or something like that to get the start up costs.

Posted on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 pm

i've been thinking about titles for my book.

let me know if any of you like either of these titles or have other suggestions.

"chainmaille tome of weaves" (favorite)

"chainmaille weaves
-master's manual"

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

This sounds like an interesting project. I'd offer to help, but I don't have experience with ss.

I like "chianmail tome of weaves", but it brings to mind a book made out of chainmail. It might sound better if it were the "Tome of Chainmail Weaves" or if you wanted to get "Master's" in there it could be "The Master/'s Tome of Chainmail Weaves"

Posted on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Tome implies that it is one rather large volume of a set of rather large volumes. I always thought {comprehensive guide to chainmaille} would be a good name. you can have that one if yall want. The word comprehensive intimidates me too much ever use but seems like you're headed that direction.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

If I understand correctly your book will just be pictures of the weave with a small description, not as much a teaching tool, but a gallery of sorts. I would lean towards a name that says that like:

Chain ledger
Maille Gallery
Gorgeous Chains

Just my thoughts.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

{chain maille weave lexicon} is also worth considering imo. really they say you're supposed to wait until a book is done to give it a name.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next