A Hedgehog of Links
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

A Hedgehog of Links
Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, a friend posted a picture on Facebook of a box of links and the caption "Oh no! Something horrible happened to Sonic!" It got me thinking: we need a unique bit of jargon to describe the number of rings used in a project. I mean, we have acres, hecters, drams, quarts, pints, pounds, tonnes, fathums, fortnights, etc--why not have a unique way to count rings? Plus, I can't be the only nerd here (though I do feel somewhat dirty here, as we were a Nintendo household). So, insteady of saying "This took 160 links", we could say "This was ten hedgehogs" (assuming 1 hedgehog=16 rings).

What I need to know is, what is the maximum number of rings that Sonic could lose in the original Sonic the Hedgehog? Once we get that number, I propose that as our new unit of measurement for number of rings. Alternatively, we could use 100 (100 rings=extra life), but that's boring.

Anyone in? Very Happy

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 am

Well i think if we did, we would need our own words. Not sure what we could use though.

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:44 am

I'm not sure how many rings he could be holding at one time, but if he got hurt he dropped all of them. However he could only retrieve around 20 of the dropped rings. This may require further study. Yes..."study"....Very Happy

As an aside, have you seen the Errant Signal videos on Sonic? He has some interesting comments on why the franchise had so much trouble (largely amounting to "they didn't understand the point of their own game").

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:16 am

a hedgehog can hog as much hedge as a hedgehog can hog.

Submissions: 355

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 pm

It's funny you bring this up, as it was just recently that I sat down and went through Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time. I never had a Sega Genesis back in the day. I found the game to be a lot of fun, but not terribly challenging. I had it beat within a short time frame (without save states), and have started dicking around with the sequels.

I was charmed with the concept of ring collecting. Don't get me wrong, I'd known of the game since it first came out. But this was my first experience playing the game extensively. I was thinking, this should be like the official video game of chainmailling.

Dropping rings sucked and sometimes caused cursing. Those are my rings, dammit! as I'd scurry to collect as many of the lost treasures as possible. Alas, I could never get all of them, a small handful at best. There was a short segment of time before Sonic was able to recollect any of them even.

-----------------------

Along comes this fellow:

Ring Man appears courtesy of Mega Man 4

...who disagrees about the hedgehog theory. For a chainmail Ring Man of rings is 1840, once the white edges are cropped out. Ring Man himself only holds two rings, which he wields as boomerangs. Their AR reasonable, but they are stout in size. Sonic can hold many rings, over 100 even.

Megaman 4 in its 8-bit goodness, despite being from a generation before, in video gaming, wasn't released until over five months after Sonic's first 16-bit apperance....

And so the battle begins..

Chainmailbasket.com (2018-03-30) - 270 + 24

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:41 pm

[quote=Chainmailbasket_com]Dropping rings sucked and sometimes caused cursing. Those are my rings, dammit! [/quote] You know, I never considered that before. The psychological aspects of a mailler losing rings in a video game. Very Happy

[quote=BrassButtons] However he could only retrieve around 20 of the dropped rings.[/quote]I like it!

[quote=Chainmailbasket_com]And so the battle begins..[/quote]Not necessarily. If a hedgehog is 20 links, than a Ring Man is 92 hedgehogs. How's this: we use a Ring Man to describe armor pieces, and hedgehogs to describe jewelry pieces. It's like how we have acre-feet to describe huge volumes of water, and gallons for smaller volumes.

What do we call multiples of 1840 links? Ring Men? Ring Mans (technimcally, it's not the men that's plural, but the "Ring Man" part)? Ring Mine, like mouse/mice? Or do we just use Ring Man as both singular and plural?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
I'm not sure how many rings he could be holding at one time, but if he got hurt he dropped all of them. However he could only retrieve around 20 of the dropped rings. This may require further study. Yes..."study"....Very Happy

As an aside, have you seen the Errant Signal videos on Sonic? He has some interesting comments on why the franchise had so much trouble (largely amounting to "they didn't understand the point of their own game").

I was THE original SEGA kid... It wasn't until my teens that I stopped sneering at Nintendo... Coif LoL OUR Mortal Kombat even had blood...

If I recall correctly Sonic drops closer to 30 rings on a 'pop'... Though I need to play again to check...

I should note, naturally that I approve of the Hedgehog as a unit of measure... Especially considering my favorite micro inlay being my Sonic 1-UP icon.

Posted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

If I recall correctly Sonic drops closer to 30 rings on a 'pop'... Though I need to play again to check...

I was basing that off of internet research, because it's been too long since I played the game for me to remember, and my Genesis is long gone by now.

And Dinwar, fix your quote tags Coif LoL

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Dropping rings sucked and sometimes caused cursing. Those are my rings, dammit! as I'd scurry to collect as many of the lost treasures as possible. Alas, I could never get all of them, a small handful at best. There was a short segment of time before Sonic was able to recollect any of them even.

Possibly someone should teach Sonic to weave those rings and he wouldn't loose them so often.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm

MusicMan wrote:

Possibly someone should teach Sonic to weave those rings and he wouldn't loose them so often.

...and perhaps so he wouldn't lose them either. Very Happy

I also approve of the hedgehog as a unit of measurement 'cause hedgehogs are cool.

Posted on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

then do the related measurements need to be based on sonic? like for example a robuttload of links. might have that name wrong, sorry. rowofboughtlinks maybe?

Posted on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm

I hope resurrecting threads isn't too frowned-upon here, but I came across this and couldn't let it die.

According to Wiki, every 100 rings earns the player an extra life...that is, you now have a spare hedgehog for when your current one gets hurt.

This leads me to believe that 1 hh (hedgehog) = 100 rings, as 100 rings buys you a spare hedgehog.

Units, in my mind, are made and sized to be convenient for usage. Most projects have in the hundreds to the thousands of rings. Only large projects, such as armor or ridiculously intricate chess sets exceed 10,000 (the chess set would be 420 hh). This makes 100 a useful unit of measure for most things. A bracelet may be 1.6 hh, while a large necklace may exceed 12 hh. If someone creates something that exceeds 1 khh (kilo hedgehog, 100,000 rings), they get to use the spiffy SI prefix. Very Happy

Someone suggested a separate unit for armor, and that could make sense as well, but I'll stick to Sonic here.

-Lucidish

Closing rings since 2013-07-27

A jack of all trades, master of none, often times better than a master of one.

Maille Code V2.0 T4.2 R4.1 En.o Fper MFe.s W$ C$ G0.8-2.0 I3.2-9.5 N8.8 Pjt Djt X0 S13 Hn

Posted on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

the only problem is we all learn the number system by elementary school up to at least a million, and you want to speak in terms that would have to be explained all the time.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Most units of measurement have to be explained at least once, if only to say what they are measuring. Grams is weight, inches is length, pints is volume, etc. And then you have conversions from units that someone is unfamiliar with to units they are familiar with, those formulas need explanations. So, if we say a hedgehog (hh) is equal to 100 rings, then we know what we need to know if we want to convert to standard decimal count. Not much different than knowing that 1 ton (non metric) is 2000 pounds and that it measures weight.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 am

djgm wrote:
the only problem is we all learn the number system by elementary school up to at least a million, and you want to speak in terms that would have to be explained all the time.

I grew up studying science in my spare time. My father was a civil engineer. If you ever want to have a lot of fun while simultaniously maxing out your nerd cred, get us into the same room and ask us to convert foot-pounds to Newtons!

Then there's my wife. Poor thing did a Bacholer's in physics, then a Master's in geology. She did structural geology calculations to the 9th decimal place.

Then there's acre-feet....I can't tell you how many times I've had to convert acre-feet per time unit to gallons per OTHER time unit. Or acres to "person-days for a survey".

At least a hedgehog of links is a fun conversion. Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next