Full Persian Wallet Chain
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 16

Full Persian Wallet Chain
Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is my first big project; I made this one for my brother.

It is done in 16G BA 5/16 rings. It is 18 inches long and I am sure there are 200+ rings in there.

Submissions: 29

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 am

did you use awg or swg wire

Submissions: 576

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 am

wakefreak wrote:
did you use awg or swg wire

Wire is wire. It's measured by diameter. Don't get me started on this, wakefreak. Coif LoL

Flutter: have you considered entering this in the theme contest? As long as you made at least 2/3 of it since December 18, it would qualify, as it's made of one ring size. You'd just need to submit a re-sized version of the picture.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm

I am still confused by the awg or swg wire thing. I know one is "American" and one is "Standard", but the places I buy from don't list which is which, and I don't know how to measure.

All I know is it is 16 guage wire in bright aluminum and 8mm ID with an AR of about 5 Wink

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

Flutter: have you considered entering this in the theme contest? As long as you made at least 2/3 of it since December 18, it would qualify, as it's made of one ring size. You'd just need to submit a re-sized version of the picture.
I didn't know anything about contests and I am sure there are better maillers out there anyway Wink

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Flutter wrote:
I am still confused by the awg or swg wire thing. I know one is "American" and one is "Standard", but the places I buy from don't list which is which, and I don't know how to measure.

All I know is it is 16 guage wire in bright aluminum and 8mm ID with an AR of about 5 Wink

Gauge is simply shorthand for how thick the wire is. This is also called the wire diameter or WD. Unfortunately, there are different shorthands used with the same gauge numbers. It is confusing. The best thing to do is get yourself an inexpensive pair of calipers. That way, you will always be able to get the measurement of the wire and never have to worry about gauge numbers again.

Flutter wrote:

I didn't know anything about contests and I am sure there are better maillers out there anyway Wink

Go here. That is the theme Contest and our current theme is "One Ring Size". All the rules are listed in the opening post. Anyone can enter. It doesn't matter how good a mailler you are. It's just a fun way to encourage people to make maille. If it matters, I think your wallet chain is beautiful and would be a great entry! As Chainmailbasket.com said, you just have to follow the few rules we have. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks - I will check out the contest then Smile

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm

I agree with everybody else. Very nice piece. Much better quality than my first large project.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks Smile

I entered the piece in the contest. There are lots of better pieces entered already, so I don't expect anything to come of it, but I appreciate you all thinking it was good enough to enter anyway Wink

I am proud of it since it was my first big piece and I had a hard time with the weave at first. Now I feel like a master at it - ok maybe not, but it is far easier now Wink

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Well done Flutter. Full Persian makes for smooth flowing wallet chain, looks good.

This recent thread shows a conversion chart for AWG/SWG/MM/Inches (thanks ZiLi). I would second lorraine's suggestion to use calipers, easiest option in my mind.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I would suggest that your AR is higher than 5, and is somewhere between 5.3 and 5.8, based on the flexibility of this piece.

4.8 is the minimum for FP, and at an AR of 5.0, it still retains a fair amount of stiffness. Starting at around 5.3 - 5.5 a desirable amount of flex is achieved for general use chains.

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks Levi Smile

I would suggest that your AR is higher than 5, and is somewhere between 5.3 and 5.8, based on the flexibility of this piece.

4.8 is the minimum for FP, and at an AR of 5.0, it still retains a fair amount of stiffness. Starting at around 5.3 - 5.5 a desirable amount of flex is achieved for general use chains.

According to the chart I found on TRL the 16G 5/16 rings I used were AR 5. I wanted the piece to be kind of "beefy" looking and flexible. I think it looks good and works for what I needed it to be Smile

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Was it perhaps this: http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcontent.asp?type=WireGuage ?

5.0 would be the approximate AR of a ring that size before springback is taken into account.

Take it from almost 15 years of experience. That flexibility can't possibly be achieved with Full Persian at an AR of 5.

And I'm not disputing your ring size choice. I like the wallet chain and it's beefyness. It's perfect. I have one similar in size kicking around somewhere. Smile

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Was it perhaps this: http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcontent.asp?type=WireGuage ?

5.0 would be the approximate AR of a ring that size before springback is taken into account.

Take it from almost 15 years of experience. That flexibility can't possibly be achieved with Full Persian at an AR of 5.

And I'm not disputing your ring size choice. I like the wallet chain and it's beefyness. It's perfect. I have one similar in size kicking around somewhere. Smile

Yeah, that is the chart, though I didn't get the rings from TRL, so maybe they were not exactly the same. I am still learning, but whatever these were I think they worked fine in the piece.

I appreciate your feedback Smile

I am sure I need to learn more about AR and all; I will get there Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1