Tumbler recommendations
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Tumbler recommendations
Posted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Firstly, THANK YOU to everyone connected to this site! Without going into detail, I stumbled upon this place at a time when I needed a serious distraction! Had a few coils of 10g and 12g electrical wire and jumped into making my own rings with both feet. Since then, I've also used 18g and 20g and have plans to get a few more mandrels for the smaller gauges wire. I realize electrical wire is probably not the best wire to use, but it is easy to coil, cut, and weave. lol...and, "it shines up real purty!"

Having said that, I've made a few pieces (both maille and wire-wrapping techniques) that have gone to family and friends and have used Druidqueen's dryer method for deburring/polishing. As I have gotten a bit better, and to supplement the household income, I would like to get a tumbler. Researching the two main types has me believing that a rotary tumbler is better at deburring and a vibratory one is better at polishing. I'm guessing that jeweler's shot would probably be the best option as a media for either. But, just the range of options has me more than a bit confused and hesitant. I am curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are on this.

Any critiques, criticisms, recommendations of brands/models, methods, media, etc. would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Living under a bridge, frightening children and small dogs!

Tumbling copper
Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 am

I have a loritone tumbler and it works great for tumbling. I place the copper to be tumbled in with about a cup and a quarter of stainless steel shot, Just cover with water and add a couple drops of dawn dish water liquid detergent to it and tumble for about 8 to twelve hours on the projects I do. If you are going to tumble rings I would suggest placing them on a strand of wire rather than tumbling them lose. Tumbling rings may take less time in tumbler. PS. tumbling also tends to harden them a little.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Contrary to popular belief, tumbling really doesn't add much to hardness. I've seen that written several places and I call bullsh*t on the notion. I've never experienced any hardening via tumbler and I have tumbled a BUNCH of rings.

With that said, I have a cheapo rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight. It works great and I've been using it about 5 years now. It polishes wonderfully, so don't think a rotary won't polish rings. That mostly comes down to what media you use, times, etc. I also don't really notice much in the way of deburring, even when I use steel shot. I am not an expert in that because I still haven't gotten any abrasive media, but I've been told a few times that to really debur, that's the way to go. *shrugs* I will defer to people with actual experience here.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I actually use a cheap Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler with steel shot and have had good results with polishing. It is loud, even when I put the box over the top of it, but I do like the results that I get.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 pm

I also use the cheap Harbor freight rotary tumbler. I mostly tumble BA in walnut media. I've found it does a good job but tends to get hot.

Musicman, I'd be cautious putting the box over it, my tumbler gets hot quickly and I've melted (well more like deformed) the belts. I've switched to rubber bands to keep my tumbler running.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm

I have essentially a Loritone dual Barrel 33B...

I say essentially, because mine is red, not Loritone Blue... And the brand name was different (was, because I've long since removed the metal plate covering the motor, for better heat dispersal, I'll dig it up one day and find out.)

Wonderful invention, as I have a wet barrel (stainless shot) and a dry barrel (walnut or corn cob), and I can load and unload each as I need.

EDIT: Found it, Chicago Electric http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

There's a lot of people on the rock forums slamming the Chicago Electric tumblers, and claiming "you get what you pay for", so YMMV... But seriously, it's the same damn tumbler, with a different brand name on it IMHO.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm

my chicago electric fell apart.. i ended up getting that double barrel lortone pictured above. a much better machine.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Mine is also Chicago Electric...just a single drum though. I was looking at buying a dual drum a few months back but as of yet I haven't had the spare cash. Maybe in 2013...

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 am

sakredchao wrote:
my chicago electric fell apart.. i ended up getting that double barrel lortone pictured above. a much better machine.

But my Chicago Electric is identical to that Loritone I pictured... Except for paint colour...
I can't help back think they come from the same place... Much the same way that brand name factories also produce no name equivilents

Useful Links

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:35 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
sakredchao wrote:

But my Chicago Electric is identical to that Loritone I pictured... Except for paint colour...
I can't help back think they come from the same place... Much the same way that brand name factories also produce no name equivilents

I don't think Chicago Electric is the same, or as good as Loritone. But have no proof of that... Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 am

i'm glad you've had good luck with your tumbler.. my CE worked for about 6 or 7 years and it failed.. i don't remember how it failed.. but i had just replaced the belt when something else broke.. it may have been the motor going out, i forget.

about 7 years ago we still had my grandfathers single barrel lortone. we'd still have it if my uncle hadn't "somewhere else" -ed it.

i'll pay the extra for lortone every time, now.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 am

Firstly, my deepest apologies for taking so long to respond. The Wire Arts forum page says that there are zero replies and only 7 views since the original post. I should have checked the thread itself.

eagleclaw315 wrote:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012 21:55 Post subject: Tumbling copper
I have a loritone tumbler and it works great for tumbling. I place the copper to be tumbled in with about a cup and a quarter of stainless steel shot, Just cover with water and add a couple drops of dawn dish water liquid detergent to it and tumble for about 8 to twelve hours on the projects I do. If you are going to tumble rings I would suggest placing them on a strand of wire rather than tumbling them lose. Tumbling rings may take less time in tumbler. PS. tumbling also tends to harden them a little.

Thank you for the wire tip! I will definitely use it!

[quote="Jax25']
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012 08:37 Post subject:
Contrary to popular belief, tumbling really doesn't add much to hardness. I've seen that written several places and I call bullsh*t on the notion. I've never experienced any hardening via tumbler and I have tumbled a BUNCH of rings.

With that said, I have a cheapo rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight. It works great and I've been using it about 5 years now. It polishes wonderfully, so don't think a rotary won't polish rings. That mostly comes down to what media you use, times, etc. I also don't really notice much in the way of deburring, even when I use steel shot. I am not an expert in that because I still haven't gotten any abrasive media, but I've been told a few times that to really debur, that's the way to go. *shrugs* I will defer to people with actual experience here.[/quote]

This is good to know! Thanks! To be honest I had read in several places that pieces were work-hardened in the tumbling process and one place that said that it only work-hardened the surface of the rings, but left the metal's properties relatively unaffected.

MusicMan wrote:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012 11:07 Post subject:
I actually use a cheap Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler with steel shot and have had good results with polishing. It is loud, even when I put the box over the top of it, but I do like the results that I get.

Yeah! Steel shot for $20/lb had me puckered-up! And felt I was getting off cheap!

Knittingmetal wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 14:53 Post subject:
I also use the cheap Harbor freight rotary tumbler. I mostly tumble BA in walnut media. I've found it does a good job but tends to get hot.

Musicman, I'd be cautious putting the box over it, my tumbler gets hot quickly and I've melted (well more like deformed) the belts. I've switched to rubber bands to keep my tumbler running.

Forgive my memory, but isn't there a thread about modding the Harbor Freight tumbler? The guy replaced a bushing, better belt, and improved ventilation, or something like that. Yeah, heat is the biggest killer for machines!

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 15:01 Post subject:
I have essentially a Loritone dual Barrel 33B...

I say essentially, because mine is red, not Loritone Blue... And the brand name was different (was, because I've long since removed the metal plate covering the motor, for better heat dispersal, I'll dig it up one day and find out.)

Wonderful invention, as I have a wet barrel (stainless shot) and a dry barrel (walnut or corn cob), and I can load and unload each as I need.

EDIT: Found it, Chicago Electric http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

There's a lot of people on the rock forums slamming the Chicago Electric tumblers, and claiming "you get what you pay for", so YMMV... But seriously, it's the same damn tumbler, with a different brand name on it IMHO.

I finally did go with the Lortone 33b. And for the reasons you just said about one barrel for dry tumbling and another for wet.

sakredchao wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 15:29 Post subject:

I'm hard on my tools and I learned a long time ago that quality goes a long way.

Jax25 wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 16:19 Post subject:
Mine is also Chicago Electric...just a single drum though. I was looking at buying a dual drum a few months back but as of yet I haven't had the spare cash. Maybe in 2013...

Can empathize! Even though I felt I was getting a good deal, $160 for the Lortone and 2 lb's of steel shot (5 type) had me puckered up.

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 21:09 Post subject:
sakredchao wrote:

This is interesting! I will have to look deeper into this! Thanks for the heads-up!

lorraine wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 21:35 Post subject:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
sakredchao wrote:

I don't think Chicago Electric is the same, or as good as Loritone. But have no proof of that... Razz

I will look into to more and get back! Thanks!

sakredchao wrote:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 23:26 Post subject:
i'm glad you've had good luck with your tumbler.. my CE worked for about 6 or 7 years and it failed.. i don't remember how it failed.. but i had just replaced the belt when something else broke.. it may have been the motor going out, i forget.

about 7 years ago we still had my grandfathers single barrel lortone. we'd still have it if my uncle hadn't "somewhere else" -ed it.

i'll pay the extra for lortone every time, now.

I agree, it's hard to argue against $50 or so for several years of use, but like I said earlier, I'm hard on my tools (re: demanding) and a few extra bucks can mean the difference between content and frustrated, to me.

Thank you one and all! Again, my apologies for taking so long to respond!

Posted on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 am

Thudd wrote:
Firstly, my deepest apologies for taking so long to respond. The Wire Arts forum page says that there are zero replies and only 7 views since the original post. I should have checked the thread itself.

-------

Thank you one and all! Again, my apologies for taking so long to respond!

Yup Smile It was moved to the Knitting Circle. What you were seeing is the "Shadow Topic" (You'll see the 'Moved:' tag beside it)

Apologies are not needed Smile Glad you got your answers!

Useful Links

Submissions: 378

Posted on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

i agree. i have a 12 lbs and a 3 lbs double barrel from loritone. i had a loritone that lasted over ten years before that. it was only ruined because the basement flooded.

Posted on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:30 pm

D'oh! Thanks! I should have known it was a simple reason!Rolling Eyes

I searched the interwebs some, for the motor model number of the Lortone, to find out who makes it and who makes the CE tumbler. I think the motor is made by a company called Jakel, but I couldn't find anything definite.

[quote=mithrilweaver]
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013 06:34 Post subject:
i agree. i have a 12 lbs and a 3 lbs double barrel from loritone. i had a loritone that lasted over ten years before that. it was only ruined because the basement flooded.[/quote]

I figured that the price for another barrel for the 3A would make it worthwhile to buy the 33b. Saved about $20 and gives me a bit of flexibility.

Man! I can't see myself with enough pieces to fill a 12lb barrel! But, then again I'm not out for much more than to pay for material and maybe a dollar or two in my pocket. Besides, I have a ready source of b-day/x-mas/anniversary, and whatever special occasion, gifts! Razz

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1