Flower Pot
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

Flower Pot
Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:48 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

It's a bit intimidating following such amazing large scale work from Carolides and Chimney Duck, but I had a fun little idea I thought you all might appreciate. My original idea was to find someone who maybe did glass work to get a solid leaf, stem and pot piece but eventually I found some leaves on my own that seem to work here, and the corks just seemed to fit for flower pots. So what do you all think?

The rings are standard Japanese 12in2 sizes: 18g 3/16" ID, 20g 1/8" ID
The wire is just regular kinda green craft wire, 20g.
The corks are the second to smallest from . . . Michael's? I think?
I think the leaves also came from there, or maybe Hobby Lobby. At any rate, I've gotten a good response and sold a pair already.

My apologies to the webmasters if this picture is too big. If it is, I'll fix it. I just get tired of having to create another thumbnail image and then upload that. Maybe I can figure out how to take smaller pictures with my phone.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:58 am

earring or tree ornament?

clever.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 am

seems a little heavy, maybe one of those things that hang in windows.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 am

I LOVE this design. Very clever and whimsical! Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 am

I love it! It is unique and I can't say I have seen anything like it before. Thanks for sharing.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 am

They're earrings, Sakredchao since they're only about 2 1/4" long and about 1 1/4" wide, but they are on the large side for earrings. They only weigh 0.13 oz. Everything is aluminum, plastic or cork, so it's all very light. And thank you much, Lorraine and MusicMan Very Happy I was awfully proud of the design when it came together. I originally tried to just use the wire to hold the leaves in place, but that proved difficult, so I just used superglue and now it all looks nice and neat with little wire mucking it up.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 pm

I echo Lorraine and MM on this one. Super cute! I can't say that I'd wear them (not fond of dangly earrings because of my hair) but I like them. Smile

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:03 am

I like it! Definitely not everyday earrings, but perhaps for a special occasion.

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks Jax and Chimney Duck Smile I would really like to see if I could make these smaller somehow. The blossoms are about the size of a quarter but I'd love to get them down to a nickel maybe. Part of the problem is that I think I'd lose the ability to have colored flowers if I went too small. I get my rings through TRL and the AA only goes down to 20g. I really could see doing this all in silver if I could find silver leaves and some kind of pot. I may have to get into PMC to go that far. Still, my main question to you all would be sizes for Jap12in2 that would yield a sturdy blossom but maybe 3/4 to 1/2 the size of what I've got.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

you might consider going up a gauge to save yourself some space. i 18ga ring is narrower than 2 20ga rings while providing a similar visual presence.

might be worth a try to shrink things down that way.

who knows if the rings are sold at trl.. what i'm thinking of has a pretty tight AR.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 18

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I love the design, think I might have to steal it and expand on it a bit...

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 pm

I had kind of a facepalm moment, reading your suggestion, sakredchao. I tend to always use j12in2 for oriental weaves and just hadn't thought to try 12in1 or 6in1 to shrink down the flower. 12in2 has always had a thickness I like but to make these flowers smaller I may have to try your suggestion. And a tight AR would be nice if it would keep the petals from flopping around.

I hope to see what you come up with, Shadowknight. I've considered 3 in a row in a single "planter", probably of wood. I'd also like to see if anyone tries this while using chain for the whole thing: stem, leaves and pot. The leaves I think would be the tricky part, trying to imitate a shape that's round but also comes to a point.

Submissions: 18

Posted on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:17 pm

I will post picks once I have a chance to make one.

Basically, my idea is to replace the chain mail flower with a scale one.

It would be too heavy for earrings, but I think would make an interesting pendant or add a suction cup to hang from a window..

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I like it alot.

Don't get intimidated Very Happy quantity is not an indicator of quality.

My daughter will appreciate a pair of those.

Br
C

Posted on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:34 am

That thought had vaguely occurred to me, Shadow, to use the scale flower. The stem and leaves may have to be more substantial in that case since the scale flower is, I believe, bigger than this J12in2 flower. And I LOVE the idea suction cupping one to a window. Heck, you might start a trend of chain designs that belong on windows/mirrors like that...actually, I'd venture that's not a new idea.

And thanks, Carolides. Smile They do seem to be a hit so far. My girlfriend and her mom each got a pair and I have an order for a pair to a friend back in Tucson. If you're going to make some for your daughter, I found that using a needle to start the hole in the cork helped ease the wire in. Soon as TRL restocks a bunch of their AA rings, I'll be able to make a slew of these.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next