If at first you don't succeed...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

If at first you don't succeed...
Posted on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi, Capt_Gillian here. I'm new to M.A.I.L. but glad to be here! I've been making jewelry for about 15 yrs now and chain maille for 9 or so. I do have a few pieces on display locally, here in NC but in September I will have a lot more! So excited! I usually work with Cu, but recently I began using Ag plated Cu wire. I've had success with the Cu, but usually people are afraid it will tarnish. I told them a cheap remedy (and even included a care card) and they're all like, "Oh" so it requires attention and a little maintenance (lazy much?), so I think the Ag non-tarnish choice is better - but I'm still going for the Cu! Love the stuff. I'm a busy, busy, crazy busy Mom but I can take time out to clean my Cu maille jewelry. Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself.

Carry on!
Capt Gillian Cutters

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, it's a sad but true fact of life that people are exceedingly lazy. Of course, you could always tell them that they'll just have to live with the tarnish if they're that lazy. Very Happy

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 am

People are just afraid of things they do not understand Razz
I love copper, too, but most people want sterling. With the price of silver being what it is, I hear an audible "gulp'n'gasp" when I tell them how much it would cost. With some, talking about the materials is just useless, there are so many misconceptions about aluminium, stainless and the tarnishing of bronze and copper.
And people don't like to be wrong, some just walk away shaking their heads with disbelief when I tell them that the Al I use is not the same stuff as soda cans.
Weirdos.
Anyhoo: Welcome aboard!

Thanks Jax25 & Keeru!
Posted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I know! It's so true! I've looked into using Ag (half-hard) as well and it really is expensive. If I could even get anyone to pay for the wire, they'd probably be aghast with horror and "insulted" at the labor cost above the actual price of Ag. I really don't like working with Al - it's light and it's Al. Not too fond of the way it feels, but I'm sure if someone wanted me to make an Al bracelet or other piece for them I would, but it wouldn't have the weight of the Cu. Of course, where I live, people don't want to pay more than $1 for anything! You guys know what I'm talking about!

Posted on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey Jax25! VA? Close by! Alright! I recently made about 3 maille pieces and the lady from the consignment store bought them - she wanted two more pairs of earrings, as well. I also have two other ladies who want the same! Could've sold the pieces I had about four times, but I only had the ones commissioned, so I will be making more soon.
I recently had a huge change in my life (death of my best friend for 19 yrs) and sort of lost interest in well, everything - except extremity. It's hard to explain...
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I am still checking in now and then, I just have been out of it lately. A bit fearless and lazy, if the two combine at all.
If you're ever in SoNoCaro and you see or hear anything about OrthoBeadia (second half usually written in Greek) that's me. Oh, and look for the woman with 3 feet of hair in hot pink stilettos and carrying a parasol. That would probably be me too. Ok, then..drink up me hearties, yo ho!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Yep, I'm in the Norfolk area. Smile Hot pink stilettoes and a parasol? Sounds like my kinda gal. I'm still searching for the perfect parasol to go with my neo-Victorian/Steampunk attire but I haven't found it yet.

As for using Al in a jewelry sense, I hear you. I've pretty much ceased using it for that except in a few situations - like colored stretchy bracelets...and, well, I made a couple neo-Victorian chokers in AA because I liked the colors. I don't use bright aluminum for much in the way of jewelry any more. I DO use a lot of it for sculpture and inlays though.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Going through the grieving process is always tough.

Posted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 am

OOH ooh! Parasols! Yeah, have you tried Parasol Heaven? They specialize in Battenburg Lace parasols. I have two of these - one black and gold and one solid black. They seem to block out the most sunlight out of the lacy ones - the cheaper ones from China do too, but they're usually made with thin metal and plastic grips. The Battenburgs have wooden handles and are Belgian lace. Try them. They ship really quickly and they have a good selection. You could always try the Evil Bay, too. They do have some good products and sometimes really good deals, even the ones from China can be well-made - it just depends on the company. I know of a few that are really good, if you want the names. They ship pretty quickly, too! Smile

I really am having a hard time with the loss. Thanks for your condolences. I appreciate it.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1