I wanted to make a jacket - which weave to use?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

I wanted to make a jacket - which weave to use?
Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

A few years ago I made a vest out of BA 18g1/4 in Euro 4-1 - I didn't have a pattern so I took a T-shirt, layed it out and put the weaving on top & tried to shape it accordingly - I've never done clothing before but it was amazingly satisfying to complete the project. Now someone was nice enough to wind & saw cut the rings for me (and he even washed them as they smelled really nice when I got them). I ordered a whole bunch and didn't need them all so I have half of a large baggies left over. I doubt I'll have enough to complete this project so I wanted to order more rings. TRL has saw cut for way more than I'm willing to spend, but they have machine cut a great price. Now my questions:

1- Could I mix the saw cut & machine cut or would it look weird? Are the machine rings cut okay for this project (ie will they snag onto hair or clothes?)

2- Should I use the same weave Euro 4-1 or would it look okay using Jap 2-2 (I'm afraid it won't have as much give with the Jap weave) but it would be easier to weave since I could preclose a lot of rings first. I liked the feel of the Euro for this project but I don't want to lose the "stretch"

3- would there be another "easy" weave I could use? (Remember I'm a real newbie and had trouble attaching the sleeves on the last one)

Thanks for your help

PS: I sold the vest which is why I wanted to make another - I liked the slinky feel of it.

Submissions: 6

Re: I wanted to make a jacket - which weave to use?
Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Tweetiepy wrote:
A few years ago I made a vest out of BA 18g1/4 in Euro 4-1 -
TRL has saw cut for way more than I'm willing to spend, but they have machine cut a great price.

By my calculation, TRL is selling Machine cut for $4.20 per thousand and Saw cut for $4.38 per thousand...seems like a fairly negligible difference.

That said, I sell saw cut in that size for less than that if one buys at least 2500 links, though shipping to Canada might offset any savings.

In any case, I say go saw cut and weave what you know works!

Andre "Ironband" Miron
West Coast Chainmail - saw cut loose links and more!
www.chainmaildude.com

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Tweetiepy wrote:

2- Should I use the same weave Euro 4-1 or would it look okay using Jap 2-2 (I'm afraid it won't have as much give with the Jap weave) but it would be easier to weave since I could preclose a lot of rings first. I liked the feel of the Euro for this project but I don't want to lose the "stretch"

You can pre-close half to two-thirds of your rings while weaving Euro 4-1 by speedweaving methods ala: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=29.

...though I should probably put speedweaving in quotation marks because it actually takes me longer to do it that way than to just weave one ring at a time.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:46 am

I think that a Conundrum 1 or 2 that would give you an opportunity to use different metals. Because of the openness should be lighter than E4-1. And I think it would look cool.

I may have to try that one out myself.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:56 am

Ironband wrote:
Tweetiepy wrote:
A few years ago I made a vest out of BA 18g1/4 in Euro 4-1 -
TRL has saw cut for way more than I'm willing to spend, but they have machine cut a great price.

By my calculation, TRL is selling Machine cut for $4.20 per thousand and Saw cut for $4.38 per thousand...seems like a fairly negligible difference.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! - stupid me never did the calculations, I though it was much more expensive than that by a lot too so I never sat down & calculated it. Geez I work in Finance too - *hangs head in shame*

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1