jump ringer
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

jump ringer
Posted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Has anyone out there used a Jump Ringer (generally used in conjunction with a flex shaft)? I have used one for years with marginal results. A perfectionist to the core, I want to make the best jump rings possible. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks... Confused Beverly Brown

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Okay, I only glanced at the beginning of this video, but it looks like a guy takes you through all the steps of using a Ray Grossman Jumpringer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPMQeepcFU

I have been using mine since about 2001 or 02, I honestly don't remember. You cannot use it on the really hard metals. I use mine for sterling silver, gold-filled, copper, and enameled copper (EC). I have another set up to saw cut other metals.

If you have any other questions you want to ask, please do. I'm happy to try to help. Smile And there are lots of others here who can help too.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 6

Posted on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I used to use a Dave Arens Koil Kutter, which is similar.

From my experience long ago, some key points for good rings:

1. Lubrication - good lubrication is a must, especially at foredom speeds. I preferred liquid, but some folks swear by the stick lube.

2. Coil immobile - make sure the coil is clamped down tight, but not so tight that the top of the coil holder bows. When cutting, make sure you press down on the blade guard to supply some downward pressure which will also keep the rings from moving as they are cut.

3. Cutting in one motion - The whole coil should be cut in one smooth motion...starting and stopping can lead to shifting rings which have poor cut quality.

4. Sharp Blade - even though a blade will last a long time on soft materials, because of the high speed of the foredom blade life is going to be reduced compared to cutting at appropriate machining speeds. If you find that cutting in one motion is becoming difficult or notice that the sharp tips of the teeth are becoming rounded, it is probably time for a new blade.

All the best,

Andre

Posted on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 pm

My answer is assuming the OP is talking about a Ray Grossman Jumpringer and not another ring cutter like Dave Arens Koil Kutter or a Pepe Jump Ring Maker. They all have differences, some of them major. But Ironband's suggestions would apply to all of them.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 21

Do not like it.
Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 am

My Mom got me this set up for Christmas a few years back, and sadly I was not impressed. I don't know if the arbor I was using was off center or what, but I constantly broke and ground all the teeth off of the expensive blades.

It is now, in this world, that we must live.

Re: Do not like it.
Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 am

Seven wrote:
My Mom got me this set up for Christmas a few years back, and sadly I was not impressed. I don't know if the arbor I was using was off center or what, but I constantly broke and ground all the teeth off of the expensive blades.

I would need MUCH MORE information before I could be helpful on your post.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 243

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 am

I've used a Jumpringer quite a lot, in my experience they're much too finicky for precise production work. My best advice would be to buy or make a better ring cutting setup, there are instructions for a good basic setup here;

http://www.lotos.ca/maille/inst.pdf

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1