Comments Feature
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Comments Feature
Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey Folks,

In the forseeable future, I'll be adding a "Comments" feature to Weaves, Gallery Items and Articles. Allowing users to post helpful comments on the items in question...
Ring sizes, construction tips, etc.

This is not to be used for discussions regarding the items in question, pimping out links to your site, or general mayhem.

Members above a certain post threshold will be able to post comments. New members will also be able to, but their comments will head to a moderation queue pending approval.

These comments will have a thumb up/down button... And while each comments rating will not be posted, its rating will control its position in the comment stream.

These comments will also have a "Flag this comment" button, allowing registered members to flag a specific comment as spam or rude, etc...

Members posting several nasty comments or irrelevent comments will find themselves unable to post further comments.

Thoughts? Feelings? Suggestions? Superstitions?

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am

While reading i had a few times the feeling 'wouldn't it be better to....' but then i read the next sentence and thought 'oh, ok, thats a better way' ^^ so nice work, you really put a lot of thought in this and it shows.
I missed a feature like this a lot Smile and I hope that a 'spammer' would be contacted first before banning (considering what he spammes first, of course, if he posts 'real spam' he should be handled harsher then someone who just posts 'lovly weave' or something like that). Also, there should always be room for a second chance.

I do believe that nothing of the above said wasn't part of the plan, but I just thought it would be good to post it.

Edit: damn, almost forgot something... can you make something like this for the 'site favourit' stuff? Sometimes I mark a gallery item or a weave as a favourit because i have a brilliant idea and after a few days i look at it again and think 'what the hell did i want to do with that?'

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I like the idea, but i think the end result could be problematic. i know this would put more of a burden on the admins, but i honestly do belive all comments should have to be approved. why? well simply, because we are talking about our "main asset" our database of knowledge, if you look at what we have all ready in place, all the data, wither it be the gallery, articals or the weave 'base, it all looks symmetrical, and professional. meaning the grammar is correct, spelling as well, formatted the same, using the correct terminology and what not. and yes i understand this can all be edited, but, i would really like to see it done so, before a "live" update is added to our wealth of information publicly, for all to see right off the bat.

And yes, i'll be the first to admit that my speeling punctuation, and grammar can get bad at times.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:53 pm

It sounds as if this is already a done deal, decided upon. I'd have voted against it. Why? it seems to me as if 'comments' on any number of other sites are generally useless, and often degrade from there. If the comments were actually helpful, that would be another story, but that does not seem to be typical in my experience.

Perhaps a seriously helpful comment could be PM'd to the original poster, who might then 'edit' the post to reflect the new information.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm

The idea of contacting the original submitter is nice, but problematic. I remember that there were situations where the approval of the original submitter was needed, but he couldn't be reached/didn't answer...
I think a testrun would be nice, first with the rules DL recommended, and if that doesn't work,it could be changed to 'every comment needs approval' or to a 'only admins can make comments'-kinda deal (in this scenario, someone who has something helpful to add to a entry, he would send it via pm to an admin and they would decide if it is actually of interest or not).

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 pm

I remember when this was talked about a while back, didn't find the thread, but it was a long one. Many of these issues were brought up, especially your Rognvald, and I know that there are many possible pit-falls, but I think that this is a good thing. We have great moderators who have worked hard to keep the nastiness out of our forums and I feel confident that this will be a good feature that people will use to help be more successful in their mailling.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 am

I think we should give this a shot, and see what happens. I'm normally weary of people being troublemakers, dramallamas, buttmunches, etc. Razz But I see no harm in testing out the idea. If it goes south, then we can get rid of it.

DL, can you give us an example or two of what kind of comments you would like to see? And maybe comments that would not be allowed?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 am

I think it would be a great way to add info, that little bit that brings it together for someone....sounds like a bit of underestimating our bunch here too...might appoint or ask for 1-2 admin "final editors" to spiffy up any wording, clarify statements and stats or whatever...most everthing MAIL takes on it does pretty well, give yourselves credit.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 pm

DL mentions comments on Weaves, which could be very helpful as far as ring sizes and materials, and construction tips--- the last would be particularly useful in cases where there is no tutorial provided.

It can be frustrating to discover an interesting Weave in the database with no tutorial, especially if one is not 'visual' enough to make it without one--- so any help would be appreciated.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Something I just thought of... being able to post a link to a forum thread that maybe has a mini-tutorial in it, or some specific information that's helpful would be nice.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:20 am

lorraine, that was something i was going to mention also in my last post, the linking to useful forum threads for weaves and what not, like the weave study threads

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16869

as an example

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm

I've also felt that there is some great information hidden within threads; I've had the thought of creating an Index to these tutorials and other information not easily found again. Sometimes the hidden information is even off-topic, yet extremely useful.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

lorraine wrote:
I'm normally weary of people being troublemakers, dramallamas, buttmunches, etc. Razz

Weary of them or wary? Wink Or weary AND wary? I must say though that dramallama is now going to become part of my vocabulary.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Jax25 wrote:
lorraine wrote:
I'm normally weary of people being troublemakers, dramallamas, buttmunches, etc. Razz

Weary of them or wary? Wink Or weary AND wary? I must say though that dramallama is now going to become part of my vocabulary.

You didn't know Dramallama?!!?!?!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 am

No, indeed I didn't...but that is seriously cute. Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next